Posted By
Nancyie
Jan 5, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Trying to find my way around CS4.

What is the shortcut to toggle between layers and adjustments?

Also, the usual shortcuts to change levels channels have changed. I’ve been using the same shortcuts for this for YEARS! Used to be command/1,2 or 3 and now they are option/3,4, and 5 – and, they don’t even work. Is there any way to customize these particular shortcuts and is anyone having trouble getting them to operate??

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 5, 2009
command-3, command-4, command-5 work fine for me to choose the channels, command-2 selects the composite.

What do You mean by »toggle between layers and adjustments« exactly? Because the Adjustments panel and the Layers panel can be open simultaneously. The Adjustments panel is supposed to make the modal Adjustments dialog obsolete, but the old way is still available (but not by double-click unfortunately) if You should prefer it.
N
Nancyie
Jan 5, 2009
If the panels are not currently visible simultaneously (because the tabs are stacked together), is there a shortcut to toggle the visibility of each panel in the stack – without using the mouse??

And again, is there a way to customize the shortcuts for the layers channels?

Also, when the panels are docked together, double clicking on a particular adjustment layer, does bring the adjustment layer into view.
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Jan 6, 2009
If You stack the panels together You will be stuck with that behaviour, or I at least don’t know of a toggle-command.
Why not float them instead?
You can always assign the individual panels Shortcuts though.

The channels commands are to the best of my knowledge not customizable, You may have to get used to the new numbers.
The option-number commands to navigate the channels within the non-modal Adjustments panel are necessary because the command-number commands are simultaneously utilized by the Channels panel.
Like I said one can still use the old modal Adjustments dialog but that requires work with Actions or Scripts.

»Also, when the panels are docked together, double clicking on a particular adjustment layer, does bring the adjustment layer into view. «
Why would You double-click an Adjustment Layer in the Layers panel apart from getting the Adjustments panel?
N
Nancyie
Jan 7, 2009
Floating them takes up too much screen real-estate and I don’t like them floating over the image. I could have them docked to the side of the panels. I can toggle between adjustment layers and each one will open, but is there a keyboard shortcut I can use to close the panel so that it folds back up?

"Why would You double-click an Adjustment Layer in the Layers panel apart from getting the Adjustments panel?"
Habit:)
N
Nancyie
Jan 7, 2009
I did find the shortcut to open and close the panels. The new shortcuts for toggling between layers channels still remains my greatest problem – with small hands it’s an extremely uncomfortable stretch.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 7, 2009
I can toggle between adjustment layers and each one will open, but is there a keyboard shortcut I can use to close the panel so that it folds back up?

Unfortunately not — except for clicking its dark bar to minimize it.

There is a whole thread about the unfortunate design and implementation of the Adjustment Panel and a lot of us are less than happy with it.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b69a82/>
N
Nancyie
Jan 7, 2009
Thanks Ann.

As I mentioned in my last post, I did find that it is possible to set a shortcut to open and close the adjustment panels if they are made into expandable panels and docked to the side. You can even toggle their visibility on and off if they are attached to the bottom of any panel. In the Keyboard Shortcut and Menus dialogue box, the option to customize is under Application Menus tab and then Window/Adjustments
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 7, 2009
Good idea Nancyie.

I had been trying to do it with a button on Configurator but for some reason there is currently no provision for adding the Adjustments palette to a Configurator panel.
N
Nancyie
Jan 7, 2009
I just discovered the the entire panel will completely disappear using the shortcut I created even if it is a floating panel. I clicked on the double arrows in the upper right corner of the adjustments panel to make it into a normal sized panel and then used my shortcut to toggle it, and it completely disappears – not even the little square is left. This makes a HUGE difference!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 7, 2009
Yep! Me too!!

🙂

Strange that they left it out of Configurator.
CC
Craig Curtis
Feb 6, 2009
and you can’t use the control tilde~ any more to keep a single channel selected but select view of all channels

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections