WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Living in a rural area where broadband isn’t available I tend to spend a lot of time waiting around whilst threads on this site load. The other week I read an article in one of the computer magazines about "onspeed" and today I tried it out …

It is amazing and it actually does what it says. Now all I need to do is learn how to type quicker 🙂

Wendy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 18, 2004
Sorry forgot to show the link:

<http://www.onspeed.com/>

Wendy
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jul 18, 2004
Thanks for the link Wendy. Glad it works for you and that would be great for others who struggle through these photo image downloads. I may even try it with my 200kps dsl to give it more juice. 14 day trial is worth trying.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 18, 2004
Mark,

I’d be interested to hear your findings, if you go ahead with it.

Dick
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 18, 2004
Wendy, I always supposed one of the benefits of rural life is the ability to escape from the rush of urban life.
Now you are bringing the city to the country?
😉

Leen
PA
Patti Anderson
Jul 18, 2004
I wonder about the image quality. Does OnSpeed double compress already compressed images like AOL does? I always here complaints about AOL’s compression from students in my on line classes.

Patti
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 18, 2004
Leen … I do love rural life but it sure would be nice to have the city visit us sometimes 🙂

Patti … With Onspeed you get a little pop up box which lets you adjust the compression. At the moment I’m using it at about midway and have not noticed any problems at all … but if I wanted to download an image to work on then there is the option to adjust the compression (easy to do as its just a little slider … and you don’t even need to come off the internet to adjust it). According to the info at the highest setting the original image will be retrieved.

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 19, 2004
Thanks Wendy. I was trying to catch up with all these threads that I missed over the past few+ days. Got it Bookmarked for a ‘calmer’ day. Thanks ! Oh, please keep us posted if you run into any problems with it 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jul 20, 2004
Jodi,

No problems so far and it has made a real difference in speed … I am now trying to get used to using it. There are 6 speeds ranging from fast to slow … for this forum any of the settings is OK as the forum is mainly text.

If I want to look at the challenge entries then the 4th setting (towards the fast end) is OK for loading the thumbnails but looking at individual images (which are fairly low resolution) it is better to drop the speed to 2.

Downloading images is best done at 1 which gives you the image just as it is posted on the site but downloading anything else (brush sets etc) seems fine on 4. Changing the speed setting is really easy and you can do it in seconds …

When I am on the internet I tend to spend most of the time on "text" sites like this one … so I am gaining a lot by being able to use a much faster speed. If I spent most of the time looking at images then I wouldn’t gain much at all.

Will keep you posted
Wendy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections