IA
Posted By
India_Amos
Jan 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I upgraded to CS4 a few weeks ago and have since noticed that whenever I create a ruler guide, the line is almost too faint to see. Then, yesterday, I tried to draw a path over a photo and discovered that I couldn’t see that, either–the path itself, the control points, all too faint to work with.

When I opened the same file in CS3, there was a clear difference: in CS4, these lines are antialiased, so they blend into the background; in CS3, they’re bright and sharp. I posted a screen shot from each version on my blog, at

<http://indiamos.wordpress.com/2009/01/02/am-i-going-blind/>

Surely there’s a setting somewhere that lets one turn this off, but I can’t find it. Anybody else had this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Specs
—–
Photoshop 10.0.1 and 11.0
Mac OS 10.5.5 on a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel GMA X3100
32.5 GB free

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Jan 3, 2009
Maybe the following thread will help:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b72eb7>
IA
India_Amos
Jan 3, 2009
Oh, thank you. Yes, that does the trick.
P
Phosphor
Jan 3, 2009
You’re welcome, India.

Something tells me that quite a few people may run into this problem; it might make for a good addition to the FAQ section here.
P
PShock
Jan 4, 2009
So, disabling OpenGL solves this problem for Macbook users.

The question I have is why OpenGL can actually be enabled in the first place, considering Adobe’s requirements are outside the Macbook’s video specifications? (previous ver Macbook has integrated video which shares system memory – 144MB max. Adobe requirement is 256MB)

I was pretty surprised when OpenGL was enabled by default on my Macbook.
NT
Nini Tj
Jan 4, 2009
It’s enabled by default by PSCS4. It’s even enabled on my quite old (by today’s standards)iMac Core duo, very first Intel model with ATI Radeon X1600.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections