EM
Posted By
Ellen Morrison
Aug 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I imported a Photoshop 7 [psd ~ CMYK] file into Corel Draw 9 and typed some text on top [it’s a CD cover]. At first the PSD file was 46% transparent. The font in Corel is Black Chancery [ttf]. When printed, the font which is supposed to be blue [CMYK ~ everything is CMYK for the service bureau] has white outlines around the letters [arbitrary too, not all letters affected]. I then added a back ground white layer to the original PSD file and again, inported it into Corel. Same thing, look I don’t want to have to create the whole thing in Photoshop, this prob needs to be resolved so it doesn’t recur. Anyway, with the PSD file, I changed the transparency back to 100% opaque and changed the fill to 46%. Same thing, white around the letters. Then, imported the PSD file into Corel at full fill and did a transparency in Corel [with one of the effects tools]. Same thing, so, I added an outline to the text and this helped. But I want to know what is wrong with the PSD file that is causing this malfunction. Never happened before. The PSD file is CMYK, 8bit, 300dpi [as is Corel file].Nedd any additional info, let me know.

Ellen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
JasonSmith
Aug 27, 2003
Sounds like a trapping issue. Have you tried putting an overprinting stroke around your text in corel?
EM
Ellen Morrison
Aug 27, 2003
Bludvlz,
It has nothing to do w/video or video cards. Shows up fine on monitor, it’s in the printing from a HP 1220C. [Please read my info again]. The text is ON TOP of the PSD image. No holes/remnant pxls. in PSD file. Used the Corel transparency tool as I said in my message. I’m going to experiment with another PSD file and see what happens. If it’s the original PSD file [a scanned photograph of American Flag], well, I’ll have to re-scan it. It’s not the font, because I created a box in corel w/radiant fill and text on top — worked fine. I has SOMETHING to do with the PSD file.

Ellen
EM
Ellen Morrison
Aug 28, 2003
Too bad you’re sooo sensative, if you had read my "dilemma" to begin with, it had all the info you needed to pass on advice. So, I guess I’m done trying to listen to you! Growing up would be some advice I will pass on to you. If you want to be so thin-skinned and take offense at a simple "text" message which had no inflection, then have at it. I’m not politically correct and don’t have tolerance for "whiners."
Ellen [a bit more on the mature side]
P
Phosphor
Aug 28, 2003
Ellen,

All of the techno jargon is way above my level of expertise, but I really feel like your "social skills" could benefit from a reflection of how you handled this.
It sort of seems like you must have been having a bad day and "lashed out". (Hopefully, you’ll have a fresh outlook and apologize for your "ugly" words.)

Bludvlz–a person you don’t know, spent a substantial amount of time (check out the length of the post) giving you suggestions to help solve your dilemma.
It wasn’t "good social form" on your part to respond in such a derogatory manner. He spent his time in an effort to help you, you responded with your time in a very negative combative fashion. Bludvlz’s closure says it all…

Hope this gives you something to start from. If you have any more questions, post back.

Ellen, your closure sends a message that I don’t think you should be proud of…

bI’m not politically correct and don’t have tolerance for "whiners." Ellen [a bit more on the mature side]

I hope you feel an apology is appropriate.

Signed,

Confused by your reaction to a good person’s efforts…
P
Phosphor
Aug 28, 2003
Ellen,

Just skimming some of the PS/Win topics, I found your topic, and read it three times. I too am not sure what you’re trying to say, other than aiming some rather inappropriate remarks at the one person who had taken considerable time to assist you. Your "maturity" might be believable with an apology.

And (my 2¢), no, I don’t think this is a Photoshop-specific problem you’re seeing.

Just curious, what feature in CorelDraw keeps you from doing the entire graphic in Photoshop?

Neil
V
viol8ion
Aug 28, 2003
it’s in the printing from a HP 1220C. [Please read my info again].

I read your info twice and it is still NOT clear that the problem only occurs on printing.
P
Phosphor
Aug 28, 2003
We had numerous problems with Corel files that have images under text when printed on a Canon CLC copier through a RIP… there was a whitish halo around the text.

Creating the text in Photoshop solves the problem.
B
BillJ
Aug 28, 2003
Could it be that the Corel program is assuming the anti-aliasing of the type should be with white instead of transparency?
V
viol8ion
Aug 28, 2003
2. [vio8ion]-The problem ONLY occured in printing. Not a video card issue.
I imported a Photoshop 7 [psd ~ CMYK] file into Corel Draw 9 and typed some text on top [it’s a CD cover]. At first the PSD file was 46% transparent. The font in Corel is Black Chancery [ttf]. When printed, the font which is supposed to be blue [CMYK ~ everything is CMYK for the service bureau] has white outlines around the letters [arbitrary too, not all letters affected]. I then added a back ground white layer to the original PSD file and again, inported it into Corel. Same thing, look I don’t want to have to create the whole thing in Photoshop, this prob needs to be resolved so it doesn’t recur. Anyway, with the PSD file, I changed the transparency back to 100% opaque and changed the fill to 46%. Same thing, white around the letters. Then, imported the PSD file into Corel at full fill and did a transparency in Corel [with one of the effects tools]. Same thing, so, I added an outline to the text and this helped. But I want to know what is wrong with the PSD file that is causing this malfunction. Never happened before. The PSD file is CMYK, 8bit, 300dpi [as is Corel file].Nedd any additional info, let me know. I dont’s see that line anywhere in the original post to which we were referring…. ummmmmm.. nah, It MUST be me, really, yep.. it is me, sorry for not reading what you intended to say and anstead reading what you daid.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 28, 2003
Well, I can’t even SPELL Corel, but I do that BLUDVLZ is what I would consider a resident expert at interoperability between the two programs and has extensive screen to print experience.

I think ya screwed the pooch on that one Ellen.

Let us not forget that communication is difficult and important. What one writes, either as a question or as an answer isn’t always clear. No reason to accuse this brilliant guy of not reading, when it was a matter of not understanding.

Free help is great. Free EXPERT help is the panacea.

Think.
V
viol8ion
Aug 28, 2003
Hey Tony!

Imagine how much further she could have been in resolving this if she had just been civil. I, too use Draw as well as Illy and PShop frequently.

I have found that when posting a question, it makes sense to split the ideas up into PARAGRAPHS, or at least simple, separated sentences so that it is easy to read, digest and understand. A run on paragraph, such as, er, the one I just posted? is difficult to read, dontcha think? Blu and I both missed the point about it being a print only issue because that was not clear in the initial post.

Anyway, I have wasted more than enough time on this thread. We are all busy professionals, except for maybe Phos (GD&R) and prefer to deal with people that appreciate that we are unpaid volunteers in this forum.

cheers! I hope Ellen figures it out!
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 28, 2003
Ya know what’s worse Carl? When someone makes a faux pas and doesn’t have the character to step up to the plate, admit the error, and apologize.

<shrug>

Put a fork in me, I’m done Gracie.
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 28, 2003
viol8ion [Carl?]:

Your pastiche of Ellen’s style was superb. Made my evening. Thanks.
EM
Ellen Morrison
Aug 28, 2003
If ya all read #12 Post, I apologized when I said,
"Sorry for all the miss-communication."
The prob was frustrating and sometimes the thoughts get scrambled when translated on paper [email/post].
My #3 post in"RE:" to original answer was not meant to be derogatory, inflamitory, etc.,but the "silence" of email/posting can be misconstrude.
Never thought so many folks could be so captivated by my mis-information post. I have become a celebrity of sorts! Sorry. Never had so many posts to my questions and I’ve been in this forum for at least 7-8 yrs..
Hey, Adobe Rules, Corel Drools [sometimes –in this case; been using Draw since Ver. 3 and Photoshop since 2.5, B4 layers, anyone remember?].
Hopefully, this will be the last post. What a waste of ALL our energies. Let’s let bygones be bygones.

Ellen
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 28, 2003
Everyone has off days and posts that are mis-interpreted. No big deal. The group here knows the regulars and while maybe a bit to the extreme, we kind of watch the back of our pals.

By the way Ellen, I love your work.
P
Phosphor
Aug 29, 2003
Ellen,

Our business, whether visual or verbal, is communication. Just consider how your words might be perceived by the rest of us before hitting the "Post" button.

Neil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections