DS
Posted By
Dick_Smith
Jul 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Fuji 6900 offers three diffenrent choices in metering: multi, spot and average.

Is there one of these that is better? I have been using spot mostly but lately I’ve been wondering if there is any one of the three that might be better?

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 16, 2004
Dick

All metering methods are good they are just tools that have to be interoperated .

Average or Matrix or whatever they call it is excellent for about 90% of all shots.

Spot is the tool to use when you want to have control over difficult lighting situations. I often use it by taking a number of readings from bright and dark areas and averaging all. While this is a powerful tool it does require a bit of practice.

I am not familiar with multi is it a movable spot meter? The third method that I use is centre weighted and I often use this for portraits.

Grant
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 16, 2004
Dick, your choice will depend on your subject.
Average is based on the whole image and sometimes highlights -like the sky-might influence the results. Multi is the result of the camera taking a number of readings of the subject and a specific algoritme to produce a result. Multi and Average will often produce the same results.
Spot is the most sophisticated way of metering, but requires some knowledge of the user. By means of metering the most important parts of an imageone can, based on experience, determine the right exposure for these parts.

Leen
LK
Leen_Koper
Jul 16, 2004
Grant, you beat me by minutes as I wanted to make coffee in te midst of answering this question. Multi is another name for matrix metering.

Leen
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jul 16, 2004
Leen

It was the coffee that did it as I went of and made a pot just after I posted our reply.

Grant
DS
Dick_Smith
Jul 16, 2004
Thanks to both of you! I’m going to start playing around with it. You’d have thought I’d already done so, but, oh well….

Dick

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections