CS3 brushes w/Angle jitter set to ‘Direction’ crash ps everytime.

PP
Posted By
Pixel_Painter
Dec 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For months my custom brushes have been crashing ps in under 12 brush strokes. At first I though it might be because the TPL files were corrupt. I went back into CS2 and converted all the brush TPL files to ABR and reimported to CS3 -no change.

Then support suggested one of the files was corrupt so I went back to CS2 and save the brushes out one by one and brought them into CS3 one by one and methodically testing each one.

In every crash the brush that was used had ‘Angle jitter’ set to ‘Direction’. I dble checked my findings by using a default brush first with nothing but ‘smoothing’ checked. This worked beautifully for over an hour with no crash. Then I saved the file and changed the Angle jitter on the brush to ‘Direction’. It took only 7 brush strokes to crash ps with only ‘photoshop has unexpectedly quit’ as a error message.

Is anyone else having this issue?
Can anyone else reproduce the issue or is this unique to me?

Please forgive me if this has been discussed I searched the FAQ’s and the current posts first. I didn’t find anything that fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
PECourtejoie
Dec 26, 2008
Wacom tablet?
PP
Pixel_Painter
Dec 26, 2008
Thank you for responding!

I have an Intuos 3 (just got it bec. NuLooQ will not work with CS3) I installed wacom drivers v. 6.1.0-7 yesterday and trashed photoshops settings on start up.

Which all seemed to work until I logged in today, now I’m right back where I was. I paint for maybe 10-12 strokes, the curser freezes and then PUFF! ps is gone in an instant.
PP
Pixel_Painter
Dec 27, 2008
On a hunch I installed the intuos on my old G5 with CS2 to see if it was an issue with the intuos and maybe not CS3. I could paint with the brush set to Direction until my heart was content -no problems at all.

I tried to install my old graphire on the Mac Pro with CS3 but it wont work with the intel chip.

So instead I went back to the Mac mouse and happily scribbled away with the brush set to Direction for as long as my wrist could take it.

Now I know that the problem is with the Intuos 3 on CS3 but I installed the latest drivers a week ago.

Is there anyone that could test this out for me? Or is it unique to me? I’ll try reinstalling the tablet software, maybe something went wrong the first time.
P
PECourtejoie
Dec 27, 2008
OK, we are one step further!
Did you try also posting in the Wacom forums?
PP
Pixel_Painter
Dec 27, 2008
I did find quite a few kindred souls over in the Apple support forums. Everyone of us who had updated to 10.5.6 and had the latest Intuos drivers but were still on CS3 were having all the same issues and getting strange errors after fixing permissions.

So the bottom line was use Time Machine to revert to 10.5.5 or complete and archive and install. I’ve actually never had an issue with an Apple update so it was the last thing I checked into>.<

Oh well, maybe this will help someone else avoid a lot of aggravation!!!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections