K
Posted By
Kugar13
Apr 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I designed a postcard to be printed for advertisement purposes. The site I chose to do the printing services only allow 8 MB uploads. The postcard (flattened) is 10 MB. Any advice how to get around this? Excuse me if this is a dumb question with a simple ‘no’ as the answer, but it never hurts to ask. Thx!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DR
Donald_Reese
Apr 30, 2007
Why cant you just reduce the image size to 8 megs? for a postcard that should be plenty.
K
Kugar13
Apr 30, 2007
Not sure how to do that. Sorry, I’m kinda new at this. Would that degrade the quality of the pic on the postcard?
DR
Donald_Reese
May 1, 2007
Just go to the image menu to image size and change the size there. i seriously doubt you will see much difference going from 10 to 8 megs. what does the document size say right now for width/height and resolution,under image size?
T
Talker
May 1, 2007
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 16:57:00 -0700, wrote:

Not sure how to do that. Sorry, I’m kinda new at this. Would that degrade the quality of the pic on the postcard?

If you’re using Photoshop, open the image, then save it as a JPEG image at a setting of 9.

Talker
K
Kugar13
May 1, 2007
Donald,

My brother suggested to save the file for Web and turn it into a JPEG. I did so and sent the file off for print before I realized you replied. I’m at work, so I don’t currently have access to my project. The postcard is 5.47" x 4.21", 300 DPI. The file I sent/uploaded for the print was for a sample. If the method I used isn’t the best option please let me know. I want the best quality possible. I’m still have a lot to learn….. thank you for your help!
P
Phosphor
May 1, 2007
"My brother suggested to save the file for Web and turn it into a JPEG"

Ignore his advice.

What other file specs are they asking for?

Do they want CMYK or are they OK with RGB? Tagged with a color profile?

How are you saving text layers?

I just created a test PDF from a CMYK mode image, with a couple text layers.

At the size and resolution specs you gave, It’s only 7.42 MB.
K
Kugar13
May 1, 2007
They have you upload your project to the site to view before ordering. They don’t specify CMYK or RGB. I used CMYK.

Not sure what ‘tagged with a color profile’ means?

I didn’t do anything special to the text layers.

The Postcard has a background, one photo, a color layer, and 9 text layers. So I’d say it’s a total of 12 layers.

Thanks for helping me!
K
Kugar13
May 1, 2007
BTW The postcard is B&W. Not sure if this makes a difference or not… thx again!
C
chrisjbirchall
May 1, 2007
They don’t specify CMYK or RGB. I used CMYK.

In that case I’d use RGB

When you save your file, check the box which says "Include icc colour profile" (wording may differ). Make sure your file is sized correctly at 300ppi, and save (the version you are sending) as a "maximum quality" Jpeg.

The postcard is B&W. Not sure if this makes a difference

None.
K
Kugar13
May 1, 2007
Thanks for the info Chrisjbirchall! I’ll check it out when I get home to my project. I am very thankful for the help!
LL
Lewis Lorton
May 11, 2007
wrote:
They have you upload your project to the site to view before ordering. They don’t specify CMYK or RGB. I used CMYK.

I didn’t do anything special to the text layers.

The Postcard has a background, one photo, a color layer, and 9 text layers. So I’d say it’s a total of 12 layers.

Thanks for helping me!

Why send them a tiff file.
they would probably be just as happy with a much smaller jpg.

Ask the printer company what profile they use to print.
Go to Image>Edit>Convert Profile and convert to their desired profile. Then do Save As and choose a name and change suffix to jpg. Use a 9 compression and they will be fine.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections