O
Posted By
onikage
Apr 30, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
(I think I already saw this discussed somewhere, but failed to find the thread or article – so sorry for a possibly duplicate post.)

What bothers me is the new way of implementing the mdi in pscs3. While the palettes can be detached and moved freely around the screen independent of the main PS window, this cannot be done with document windows as such.

A document window (the image itself) typically stays inside the main PS window. If the main window is shrunk, the part of the image overlapping the main window is cut off (is not visible).
In CS2 though, the behaviour was different: the document window was always placed "on top", no matter the size of the main window.

Yes, in CS3, the document window _can_ be dragged out of the main window entirely, but it cannot overlap the main window (for then it gets "eaten up" by the main window). However, this overlapping happens spontaneously (and often) while moving document windows around (it also is the default position for new windows).

What’s my problem? I am used to work like on the Mac – got the main PS window shrunk to its minimal (vertical) size, keeping other windows floating above my desktop and other applications. the effect of this is that I can work in PS while being able to see other windows "behind" PS (flash, afx, illustrator, chat, browser etc) – very useful when working on complex projects. I would even say it’s essential for me as I rarely run PS alone (and rarely use it in full screen).

So: Is there any way to get rid of the large grey wall (of the main window) blocking my view of all other apps?
Or can the document windows be detached so that they can be moved freely around the screen?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Apr 30, 2007
Sounds like you really need a Mac.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 30, 2007
Grab the bottom of the App window and "roll it up"
O
onikage
May 1, 2007
chris: yeah, but when I roll it up, it will block any document windows inside (the overlapping part won’t be visible).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections