RL
Posted By
Richard_Lohr
Dec 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just started using a trial of Photoshop CS4, but am having problems printing. My setup is somewhat unusual, but has been working just fine with CS2. I’m working on a Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 with 4.5Gb ram, running OS 10.4.11. That is networked to a Dual 867MHz PowerPC G4 with 1.25Gb ram, running OS 10.3.9. My Epson R2400 printer is connected to the G4. I have set it up like this because my office is quite small, and I have my printers and G4 in another room.

When I made my first print from CS4, it was very dark. I closed CS4, opened the file in CS2 and made another print. It was fine. I closed CS2 again and opened the file in CS4. I then moved my printer into my office and connected it directly to the G5 and made another print. It was very dark, just like the first. Next, I logged out and logged back into a test account, which has just basic OS apps enabled. I started CS4, opened the file, and printed it. It was fine (slightly different in color, but almost the same as the one that I had printed from CS2). Assuming that the problem was in my admin account, I reconnected the printer to the networked G4, and from my test account, made another print. Again it was very dark.

In all cases, I am letting Photoshop manage the color, using the same paper, profile, and rendering intent, etc. Color management is turned off and the printer settings are checked each time I make a print.

I’m beginning to think that I just cannot print through the G4 unless I upgrade the OS, but if someone could shed some light on this…

Here’s are the other things I’ve tried:
Removing and replacing (renaming) printer from the printer list. Trashed the CS4 prefs and let it make new ones.
Trying to print after booting up in safe boot mode (unable to choose any printer though in that instance).
Re-installed the Epson printer driver on the G4.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
DYP
Dec 21, 2008
Like it or not PSCS4 is designed for the current print stream according to Apple’s specs. At least that is Adobe’s story.

As far as I know current Epson (new models) and most Canon printers print fine from 10.4.11 and 10.5.6.

What does that tell you? Unless you can get Epson to update their drivers looks like your choice is stay with older software or get a new printer.

By the way there are lots and lots of threads on this forum about this same thing.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections