A
Posted By
Anto38x
Dec 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there.. I first installed CS4 with Photoshop CS4 a few weeks back with no probs. Now I have started to experience problems with the pen tool during the creation of clipping paths. When I go to make my starter point the location of the point is offset to the place where I want to start it… I then quit photoshop and re-open it works fine again…. but after finishing that path… doing some other layer work.. when I go to create another path the problem repeats itself… has anyone eles encountered this problem? Is there a workaround….?? I’m running all the latest updates plus the latest Apple updates 10.5.6.

Any comments most welcome.

Yours sincerely,
Anthony

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
PShock
Dec 21, 2008
has anyone eles encountered this problem?

Absolutely. Many others, including myself are reporting the same issue where cursors (which isn’t restricted to the Pen Tool), and other elements are "off", so you’re not alone. The easiest workaround I’ve found is to switch screen modes by hitting the F key a few times. That usually gets things back in order. Much easier than relaunching the app.

Let me know if that works for you.

What specific machine and video card are you using? If you’re using a tablet, also list which one and the specific driver it uses.

-phil
A
Anto38x
Dec 21, 2008
Hi Phil… and cheers for your reply. Great to know I’m not the only one experiencing this. I’m not running a tablet… and my graphics card is the Radeon X1900. I will try your suggestion about switching through the various screen modes…. as it always kills me to have to save large open job files… and restart PS again… so thanks for your excellent work around.

Hopefully Adobe are well aware of this issue and will sort it in the next update.

I checked in all the Top teen issues and FAQ and not a mention anywhere that I could see… I hate that…. makes ya feel like you a hallucinating the whole effect.

Talk soon…. 🙂

Anthony
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 21, 2008
I have been using CS 4 for quite a while now and have not seen this behavior, are you sure that resetting the Photoshop Preferences is not a good solution as well? Have you tried it?
P
PShock
Dec 21, 2008
It’s worth a shot, Wade. But no, I’ve never tried trashing prefs for a couple of reasons.

First, there are quite few people reporting this problem. I would think the chances of prefs becoming corrupted in the same way for all these people is pretty small. Second, this issue happened right after the install. How would a fresh install have a corrupted prefs file?

But … anything’s possible. I’ll see what happens.

Hopefully Adobe are well aware of this issue and will sort it in the next update.

Well, first we have to get Adobe to recognize there actually is a problem on their end. It’s currently in the "it’s not our fault" stage. 🙂
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 21, 2008
Yes when it comes to Apple there’s a lot of the "its not our fault" stuff going on at the moment – I wonder why

There’s a few glitches with the graphics card handling – I’ve noticed the displacement of cursors too, its usually all the tool cursors slipping DOWN by a specified amount. It usually Ok if you restart PS. There are also other graphics card issues, with refresh being weird, flickering screen blocks etc.

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
There are also other graphics card issues,

When using Select All, through the menu or the keyboard, the marching ants are off by one or two pixels to the right, meaning one or two pixels on the left appear not to be selected, and the right edge of the marching ants is off the keyboard.

10.4.11, Photoshop11. Dual bootable, DP MDD 1.25GHz G4 (2004), maxed out at 2GB of RAM, both Spotlight and Dashboard disabled, Photoshop primary scratch disk on dedicated 160GB internal drive, at least 100GB available on each of the four internal drives, up to 300GB on some. Counting external FW drives just over 1TB of drive space available. nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 425MHz 256 MB graphics display card. Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2.

Will have to try it with Open GL off. :/
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Yes, it’s an OpenGL bug. I can’t submit a bug report because my machine is not officially supported, but disabling OpenGL corrects the shift of the marching ants.

Anyone with an officially supported machine experiencing this?

When using Select All, through the menu or the keyboard, the marching ants are off by one or two pixels to the right, meaning one or two pixels on the left appear not to be selected, and the right edge of the marching ants is off the keyboard.

Disabling OpenGL fixes it.
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Strange… having disabled OpenGL, I can’t tell the difference on my system, other than the above bug is gone.

I’ve got to read up again on what OpenGL is supposed to do. :/
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
OK, I see now. The features I never use (rotate canvas, etc) do get disabled when I disable OpenGL.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 21, 2008
Ramón:

That is not happening on my machine with active OpenGL.

Zoom right in to 3200% check your Selection (both Cmd A and a manually drawn marquee).

I don’t have "Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2".

[Actually, I have no idea what "CHUD 3.5.2" is!]
R
Ram
Dec 21, 2008
Ann,

CHUD = Computer Hardware Understanding Developer Tools (CHUD Tools)

<http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/8506>

Processor napping allows the CPU to run considerably cooler temperature with negligible impact on performance.

Once installed, it can be accessed through System Preferences > Hardware, and can be enabled or disabled on the fly, without a need to restart.

It has no effect on the above described OpenGL bug.
R
Ram
Dec 22, 2008
That is not happening on my machine with active OpenGL.

Thank you for looking into it, Ann.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 22, 2008
I am wondering if the "mis-placed marquee" syndrome is just an artefact caused by looking at an interpolated (sampled to other than 100%) screen rendering of the image?

Now that we get apparent smoothness at all magnifications in CS4, it’s hard to remember that interpolation still occurs.
R
Ram
Dec 22, 2008
Ann,

Nope. I first noticed it on a smallish image at 100%, but the bug is there at 100% and any other view on every single image, no exceptions.

Disabling Open GL stops the bug, until you enable Open GL again.

When using Select All, through the menu or the keyboard, the marching ants are off by one or two pixels to the right, meaning one or two pixels on the left appear not to be selected, and the right edge of the marching ants is off the keyboard canvas.

Sorry, I meant to say that the marching ants on the right edge of the image are OFF THE CANVAS. The selection can easily be nudged into place with the left arrow.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 22, 2008
No, that doesn’t happen here at all.

I wonder what is different because you and I have similar (although not identical) video cards.
P
PShock
Dec 22, 2008
Ramón-
I haven’t experienced that but I don’t Select All often. I’ll keep an eye out – maybe all these different graphical issues are related. Was this a random issue, or constant?

Disabling OpenGL requires a relaunch, correct? (it did for me) With my issue, I found that relaunching will make the problem disappear (for a while). Could it be that it was simply the relaunch that cured it and not turning off OGL?

I later found that simply cycling screen modes a bit would take of it. Did you try that?

-phil
T
TAnderson
Dec 22, 2008
If you have a Wacom tablet check out their downloads section for a new driver. That may solve your problem.
R
Ram
Dec 22, 2008
Phil,

Was this a random issue, or constant?

Constant. Happens with all files, every time. It also happens with the Marquee and the Crop Tool, not just Select All. The bug disappears with OpenGL disabled.
R
Ram
Dec 22, 2008
No tablet here. (I’m too clumsy to use it, so it sits in the box under my desk.)
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 22, 2008
"When using Select All, through the menu or the keyboard, the marching ants are off by one or two pixels to the right, meaning one or two pixels on the left appear not to be selected, and the right edge of the marching ants is off the keyboard canvas.

Sorry, I meant to say that the marching ants on the right edge of the image are OFF THE CANVAS. The selection can easily be nudged into place with the left arrow."

On my machine I have observed that the All selection is in fact correct…in that the entire image is indeed selected. The problem appears to be that the Window frame is short by 1 pixel when running Open GL. It looks like a Window resizing issue. I discovered that by drag/resizing the Window frame to the right, to expose a portion of the unused grey area border. The entire image could now be seen and showed that all of the image was selected.

Nudging the original selection to the right will only result in deselecting a single pixel vertical strip on the left side of the image.
R
Ram
Dec 22, 2008
by drag/resizing the Window frame to the right, to expose a portion of the unused grey area border. The entire image could now be seen and showed that all of the image was selected.

Not here. If anything, it makes the bug more clearly apparent, as now the marching ants are on the apron, off the canvas, on the right.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 22, 2008
There also seems to be an inconsistency depending on Zoom factor. I can clearly see that the selection appears to not catch a single pixel stripe on the left side depending on Zoom factor. It shifts as you click through the default zoom "stops". But if I do a Cut/New/Paste, the entire selection was indeed made. This is not a pleasant bug.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 22, 2008
Frank:

That is what I think is happening too.

Try zooming right in, so that you can see enlarged Pixels, and see if the selection is still off-kilter.
FH
Frank_Heller
Dec 23, 2008
Again, this depends. If you zoom in all the way, it is still impossible to see the selection on the right frame border. Whether the left side is on or off by a pixel is iffy. At least it is on my rig. At the highest Zoom it clearly appears to be selecting the left side with a 1 pixel offset. And as stated earlier, a simple cut/paste/new shows that the selection did in fact include the 1 pixel border that appeared to not be selected.

There is something quite buggy with Open GL in the guide and selection department and I’m hoping it will be addressed in the next update.

For those of us in the technical illustration biz, this is a real headache.
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2008
I’ve tried all zoom views, from 16.6 to 3200%. No difference.

Yes, it’s just a drawing issue, the selection is there. But it’s a real pain when you are selecting a rectangle that is anything less than the entire image, as you can’t trust what you see on your screen.

It’s a significant bug.
P
PShock
Dec 23, 2008
It’s a significant bug.

No, Ramón – it’s your video card driver! 😉

Nah, I agree. It’s likely a bug and so are the multitudes of other graphical anomalies people are experiencing.

-phil
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2008
Phil,

I assigned no blame when i referred to it as a bug.

I also stressed that my machine is not officially supported, neither is the video card.

Nevertheless, it disappears with OpenGl disabled.
R
Ram
Dec 23, 2008
If not for ACR 5.2, I would not have upgraded to CS4. :/
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 24, 2008
I have suggestion Ramón and it is just a suggestion, upgrade your system to a Mac Intel.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 24, 2008
When using Select All, through the menu or the keyboard, the marching
ants are off by one or two pixels to the right, meaning one or two pixels on the left appear not to be selected

yes, no wacom

8-core, 10.5, CS4

also, 25% is fuzzy 🙁
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 24, 2008
Has everyone who is experiencing this phenomenon got more than one Monitor?

And more than one video card too perhaps?
R
Ram
Dec 24, 2008
Wade,

While I certainly appreciate your suggestion, it is absolutely out of the question.
R
Ram
Dec 24, 2008
Ann,

I do have two monitors, but running off a single card.
R
Ram
Dec 24, 2008
What I’m planning to do is to run with OpenGL disabled, to see if I see any difference at all. If I don’t, that solves my problem right there.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections