LV
Posted By
Luis_Valladares
Apr 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running Windows XP with all the current updates.

I have installed the CS3 upgrade and went through the installation without issue.

One of the problems (there are more but this is the worst) I am having is that Bridge does not run after I have already run it once and closed the application. In order to get it to load I have to restart the PC and then run Bridge. What gives?

Details: I use Bridge as an integral part of my workflow. Bridge is used to import shots, add basic metadata and initally rate my files. From there batch work is done via ACR. When I run the application the first time when the PC is booted it works fine. A bit slower than CS2 Bridge, but fine. Once I have done whatever I am going to do I’ll typically exit the app to run other processes like my RIP to run prints. Once I exit Bridge, if I must return to it, Bridge will not load. It makes no difference what app is run afterwards. Even if I simply close bridge and re-run it immediately, it will not load. The only way for the app to load is to restart the PC. Every other app loads without issue. IE, Outlook, Office Apps, RIP, the DAM, everything… only Bridge will not load.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

HN
Howard Newsgroups
Apr 29, 2007
I also had problems when I first started using Bridge CS3. Under Edit/Preferences there is a Tab entitled "Startup Scripts" – you may want to Disable All to begin with, and see if that solves your problem. Howard

wrote in message
I am running Windows XP with all the current updates.

I have installed the CS3 upgrade and went through the installation without issue.

One of the problems (there are more but this is the worst) I am having is that Bridge does not run after I have already run it once and closed the application. In order to get it to load I have to restart the PC and then run Bridge. What gives?

Details: I use Bridge as an integral part of my workflow. Bridge is used to import shots, add basic metadata and initally rate my files. From there batch work is done via ACR. When I run the application the first time when the PC is booted it works fine. A bit slower than CS2 Bridge, but fine. Once I have done whatever I am going to do I’ll typically exit the app to run other processes like my RIP to run prints. Once I exit Bridge, if I must return to it, Bridge will not load. It makes no difference what app is run afterwards. Even if I simply close bridge and re-run it immediately, it will not load. The only way for the app to load is to restart the PC. Every other app loads without issue. IE, Outlook, Office Apps, RIP, the DAM, everything… only Bridge will not load.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 29, 2007
This is a known problem. It has been discussed here and in the Bridge forum – do a search.

Until they fix it, if you must close Bridge, after the "normal" exit from Bridge, end the Bridge.exe process in Task Manager where it will still be running!

It will then work next time.
KP
Kwan_Parker
Apr 29, 2007
I have the same problem. But, John, in my case Bridge DOES close and IS NOT listed in Task Manager’s running Processes listing.

Bridge will not open (without explanation or system complaint) or WIN XP PRO generates a warning that "Adobe Bridge has encountered a problem and needs to close." Sometimes prior to that I’ll get a notice from Bridge that a script failed to properly close during the last session.

While waiting for Adobe to clean up their bug ridden release, my work around is immediately after launching Bridge from an Application’s BROWSE menu or from the Desktop shortcut, IMMEDIATELY, press and hold down Cntl-Alt-Shift.

This launches a "Reset Settings" window. I select RESET PREFERENCES. This resets preferences to "factory settings" and Bridge launches normally. Fortunately for me, factory settings work just fine. For others, factory settings may not work just fine for what they’re doing.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 30, 2007
In Task Manager, look under the processes tab not only for bridge, but also for the adobe license manager (begins with "alm" and there may be more than one). If you have quit both Photoshop and Bridge (and other Adobe license managed apps), kill the license manager processes. They will restart when you run an Adobe app. This may allow you to restart Bridge.
LV
Luis_Valladares
Apr 30, 2007
John: Thanks for the quick reply. I did search but did not find a response. I would not have asked if I saw it.

That Task Manager/Processes fix helped however, I have to second Kwan’s comment. Last night I closed Bridge and went to remove it from the process list, it was not there. I tried to reload later on, and I had no choice but to re-boot.

Today I closed Bridge and your fix helped. I hope they get this fixed fast b/c I think you can clasify this as a major problem.

Thanks again….
KP
Kwan_Parker
May 1, 2007
Something which is — at the moment — working for me is disabling the Stock Photos Startup Script.

I have launched and closed Bridge a dozen times since disabling the script. So far, no problems opening or closing Bridge.

See this technote: < http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=3179 12>

But, in the edit/preferences/startup script window appear double entries for Acrobat 8, Adobe Bridge, Adobe Stock Photos, and Photoshop Services. Clicking around the menus, I find double menu items for such things as Photoshop Services. Disabling one entry will disable both.

Perhaps both scripts are being launched. Don’t know what to do about it . . . yet.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections