Posted By
Nicholas_Morris
Apr 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I have a need to create hard rounded corners on a photograph. I’ve done a search on the forum and all answers seem to point to creating feathered "fading" rounded corners – nothing sharp/clipped.
I’ve tried to feather, copy and paste into new image but that just produces above. I’ve also tried to use rounded rectangle but i am failing miserably with that as well!!!
Can anyone help with a step by step procedure (or guide me to a tutorial if such a thing exists!!) Thanks plenty!
Nic

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JJ
John Joslin
Apr 29, 2007
Here is one way.

Select the rounded rectangle tool with the options at the top set to "Paths".

<http://imageshack.us>

Draw the rectangle where you want it over your photograph.

Right click on the path and choose "Make Selection…".

Press Ctrl + J to put it on a new layer.

In the layers palette select the background layer and click Ctrl + Backspace to fill with the current background colour.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 29, 2007
Hi Nic,

I don’t believe you’ll find any way to get a clean, sharp rounded corner as long as you are working with raster (pixel-based) images. You will always have some aliasing occur because pixels are basically square in dimension and you cannot cut off a fractional pixel to smooth edges. The best you can do is use anti-aliasing to produce a smoothing effect, and this usually works well enough to fool the eye in high resolution images. If you’re working with screen-resolution images, you may still see some roughness of the corner.

Regards,

Daryl
NM
Nicholas_Morris
Apr 29, 2007
That’s sweet John,
Thanks very much!
NM
Nicholas_Morris
Apr 29, 2007
Thanks Daryl,
John’s method worked great for what I need – appreciate your comments though. Cheers
Nicholas
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 29, 2007
Glad to help!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections