glenn_losack
Dec 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ramon, Ann
happy holidays

know you have warned me before have one MACPRO with 10.5.5 and CS4 seems OK.

Would you if you had your other MACPRO with 10.4.11 and CS4 install 10.5.5/6?
am i on safe grounds now?

it seems that Microsoft Expression Media will not read D300 NEFS in TIGER. cant explain it.

are others ok with 10.5.6 and CS4
thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Glenn,

Alas, I’m not remotely qualified to answer that question, as I’m not going anywhere near Leopard. Personally, I don’t need any of its features. As I said before, I don’t need any functionality from the OS beyond that offered by the features of Panther (OS 10.3), but I had to go to Tiger in order to run CS3 and, now, CS4; then I promptly disabled Spotlight and Dashboard in Tiger, effectively returning to Panther functionality.

I haven’t even looked at Microsoft Expression Media either.

Newer MacPro machines don’t run anything other than Leopard. I’m actively looking at a second-hand late 2005 G5.
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
Clone your Drive and update that to 10.5.5/6 if you have problems stick with Tiger.
P
ps1
Dec 19, 2008
Got a macpro a couple weeks ago, everything seems to work ok with CS4 and 10.5.6 (so far).

Saving printer setups doesn’t stick for me though, although I feel fortunate to be able to print anything from Leopard as I’ve an older Epson 2200 — No "printing too dark" issues or other problems that I’ve read on these forums…

Geoff
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
You can print from Leopard with a 2200 but the driver Apple supplies id limited and Epson will not be updating it.
K
kristofferbenoit
Jan 17, 2009
Any ideas on installing Adobe creative suite 4 onto 10.5.6 for the first time? The install program does not automatically load and I can not find the setup folder on the dvd.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 17, 2009
I’m actively looking at a second-hand late 2005 G5.

Ramón

Don’t do that! Not a good idea.
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
Can you think of any other way of getting a faster Mac and still be able to run Classic?

Didn’t think so. B)
R
Ram
Jan 17, 2009
As I’ve been having to explain why I need Classic to everyone and their grandmother for the last six years or so, I hope you don’t ask me why—because I’ll ignore you. 😀
P
pfigen
Jan 17, 2009
Well, you do want to avoid the G5’s with the radiators. Sooner or later they all leak, and when they do, they take the power supply and mother board with them.
NT
Nini Tj
Jan 17, 2009
The only G5 that it is still some value in is the very last model released as I see it. The older ones have much too small harddisks and if I shall judge from the ones we are exchanging during this spring at the newspaper where I work, older than that they are all dying one after the other. The last released model though is still good.
B
Buko
Jan 17, 2009
You can always install larger HDs.

But I agree if you want a G5 look for the last version. Introduced in Oct 2005.
P
pfigen
Jan 18, 2009
Mine is Dec 05, has the radiator, and will leak eventually. Only part of the reason I bought a new MacPro a couple of weeks ago.

The Artisan software still works fine and communicates via the USB cable in 10.5.5 but I don’t know if that will suffer the loss of communication that some of the other brands are experiencing in 10.5.6.

I don’t know what classic apps Ramon has to run, but for me it’s easier to keep old G4s around for that and not have to worry about leaks. My scanner software has to run in a natively booted OS9, not even classic.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 18, 2009
I have a G3 that wrks pretty well and uses 1 GB of memory. I never had need to use it as back up in the two years plus that I have the MacPro and that means I now have to update to a more modern Mac or go PC. I understand that Windows & has finally delivered the promise and that the 64 bit support makes the newer PCs really fly. Of course the important thing is that the PCs have support for Video Cards that have 1 GB of memory and the Macs do not and their new mother boards support up to 128 GB of RAM which apparently will eventually be possible.

They do have 8GB crds available and they support solid state disks which are currently a 128 GB.

So their systems can really fly if necessary. Some makes are prone to crashing but not all. Some are extremely stable. Perhaps those boxes are running Windows 7.

Kind of fun. Building them might be the best way to go. More reliable then the brand names.
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2009
Wade,

Yes, Windows has a 64-bit version of CS4, but they don’t have 16-bit printing…

Top Adobe engineers have explained that 64-bit Photoshop only represents an advantage in working with extremely large to huge files.

Even so, like you, I’d be more inclined to buy an advanced Windoze box than a Mac Intel machine if I could afford it—which I can’t.

With Steve Jobs allegedly contemplating a liver transplant at this stage in his life, the future of Apple is uncertain. Who knows what this may mean to Adobe.
D
DYP
Jan 18, 2009
With Steve Jobs allegedly contemplating a liver transplant at this stage in his life, the future of Apple is uncertain. Who knows what this may mean to Adobe.

Once again you’re misinformed.

< http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/15/steve_jobs_may _be_facing_surgery_to_remove_pancreas_report.html>
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 18, 2009
DYP that article did not really specify how they are going to resolve the weight loss. I would be curious to her what Ramón is referring to myself.

Ramón I think Apple will still continue to go forward.

I think the economical way to obtain a really high end Windows box is to build it yourself.

About half the price or even less. The only thing that can be costly is if you put in a really high end video card which could run $1500 and up.
D
DYP
Jan 18, 2009
Don’t forget about the added cost of running/working Windows.
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2009
DYP, you posted a freaking 5-year old article. You’re nuts, and you are the one that lacks information.
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2009
Don’t forget about the added cost of running/working Windows.

A full copy of Windows has come with every PC computer I’ve ever worked on.
R
Ram
Jan 18, 2009
Wade,

The bit about the liver transplant is just one of many rumors about Seve Jobs published in the NY Times and in my local paper.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 18, 2009
The parts I think come under warranty!

Lots of people build their own and usually do not have the problems that the brand names do because they tend to use better products.

Lots of people buy custom built machines which generally come with a 90 day warranty but they go back for new machines when the old are outdated. I guess the warranty is only needed if you re going to use cheaper inferior parts.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 19, 2009
Wade,

Lots of people build their own and usually do not have the problems that the brand names do because they tend to use better products.

Not necessarily true. Apple (and other good manufacturers) do not tend to use bottom of the barrel parts. Apple actually has a very good reliability and service reputation. Enough people (not all, of course) who build their own think cheap and choose cheap.

Another possible problem with a home-built computer is that should something go wrong, who do you send it to for diagnosis and repair. And under which warranty?

I guess the warranty is only needed if you re going to use cheaper inferior parts.

Certainly not true. Viking ranges, Porsche 911s, Sony XBR8 TVs, Boeing 747s, Apple Computers, et al, all come with warranties that do, on occasion, get used.

Lots of people buy custom built machines which generally come with a 90 day warranty

They’re only as good as the people who build and support them.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 19, 2009
Wade,

Not necessarily true. Apple (and other good manufacturers) do not tend to use bottom of the barrel parts. Apple actually has a very good reliability and service reputation. Enough people (not all, of course) who build their own think cheap and choose cheap.

And some folks who build their own don’t choose components that are well-matched to each other, so they may not get the performance they invested their time and money in.

Another possible problem with a home-built computer is that should something go wrong, who do you send it to for diagnosis and repair? And under which warranty?

I guess the warranty is only needed if you re going to use cheaper inferior parts.

Certainly not true. Viking ranges, Porsche 911s, Sony XBR8 TVs, Boeing 747s, Apple Computers, et al, all come with warranties that do, on occasion, get used.

Lots of people buy custom built machines which generally come with a 90 day warranty

They’re only as good as the people who build and support them.
L
Lundberg02
Jan 19, 2009
Jobs is one of a kind. Apple never had any luck with marketers or numbercrunchers running the company. With his unique vision gone, they will just cater to the American Idol generation and fade away as a computer supplier. They probably have one in the pipeline, but after that, bye bye. Just when they were winning, too.
My Mac guy is so busy he’s nearly out of his mind installing new complete office systems.
R
Ram
Jan 19, 2009
Wade,

Re #12:

Steve Jobs Considering Liver Transplant Says Bloomberg News < http://i.gizmodo.com/5133419/steve-jobs-considering-liver-tr ansplant-says-bloomberg-news>
P
PShock
Jan 19, 2009
From the ridiculous article:

"Yesterday, Bloomberg speculated that Jobs’ pancreas may be removed, citing doctors with no knowledge of Jobs’ case."

"Speculated"? "No knowledge of Jobs’ case"? WTF? Is the mainstream press so threatened by the internet that they’re now resorting to blog style journalism?

" Steve Jobs May Be Considering A Liver Transplant "

Well, I MAY be considering a leg amputation, but unless you’re actually involved or I make a public confession, there’s no way for you to know … why speculate?

Pretty easy to be a journalist when you don’t have to rely on facts.

Here’s my feeling on the matter. < http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/dont_panic_10_reasons _apple_and_steve_are_ok>

And another. < http://www.macworld.com/article/138279/2009/01/jobshealth_me dia.html>

With his unique vision gone, they will just cater to the American Idol generation and fade away as a computer supplier.

That’s the second dumbest statement in this thread. 😉

First of all, Jobs isn’t "gone". Unless you’re a qualified medical professional who’s actually examined the man, I think you can put away your shovel. Heck, even with this 6 month leave, SJ is still very much involved.

Secondly, even if he does leave Apple, do you seriously think the company is simply going to ignore the some 50 million users (guessing), of Apple computers? The Mac market is close to 50% of their revenue! The Apple of today is a far different company than when Steve was kicked out in the 80’s – much smarter and creative people involved.

Yes, no one will ever replace Steve Jobs, but the guy didn’t work in a vacuum.

-phil
B
Buko
Jan 19, 2009
the demise of Apple and the Apple computer have been going on since the computer was released in January 1984. Why stop now?
L
Lundberg02
Jan 19, 2009
Good point, Buko.
Maybe Daystar and that other company will start making Macs again.
P
pfigen
Jan 20, 2009
You mean Olivetti?
L
Lundberg02
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, give them a shot. Write an RFP to Chrysler, Bernie Madoff, Lehmann Bros, Circuit City, Linens and Things, and Tony Reszko.
P
pfigen
Jan 20, 2009
I was joking a bit. Olivetti actually did have Mac clone contract in Italy.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 20, 2009
"With his unique vision gone, they will just cater to the American Idol generation and fade away as a computer supplier" – that’s my least optimistic vision too. There is something of sea-change underway, if they could at this point concentrate on making macs more affordable for the home use market, it might take hold.

"The Mac market is close to 50% of their revenue" – Sadly I’m not sure this is true anymore, that’s the worry.
L
Lundberg02
Jan 20, 2009
Wasn’t the other mac Maker back in the day called Quantum or some name with a Q.

It seemed that Apple got jealous of the acceptance and quality of the two licensed makers, big mistake.
L
Lundberg02
Jan 20, 2009
Quicky wiki:

Official Macintosh clone program

By 1995, Apple Macintosh computers accounted for about 7% of the worldwide desktop computer market. Apple executives decided to launch an official clone program in order to expand Macintosh market penetration. Apple’s clone program entailed the licensing of the Macintosh ROMs and system software to other manufacturers, each of which agreed to pay a flat fee for a license, and a royalty for each clone computer they sold. This generated quick revenues for Apple during a time of financial crisis. From early 1995 through mid-1997, it was possible to buy PowerPC-based clone computers running Mac OS, most notably from Power Computing. Other licensees were Motorola, Radius, APS Technologies, DayStar Digital, and UMAX. In terms of exterior styling, Mac clones often more closely resembled generic PCs than their Macintosh counterparts.
[edit]Jobs ends the official program
Soon after Steve Jobs returned to Apple, he backed out of recently renegotiated licensing deals with OS licensees that Apple executives complained were still financially unfavorable [8]. Because the clonemakers’ licenses were valid only for Apple’s System 7 operating system, Apple’s release of Mac OS 8 left the clone manufacturers without the ability to ship a current Mac OS version and effectively ended the cloning program.[9] Apple bought Power Computing’s Mac clone business for $100 million, ending the Clone era.[10]
Jobs publicly stated[citation needed] that the program was ill-conceived and had been a result of "institutional guilt," meaning that for years, there had been a widely held belief at Apple that had the company aggressively pursued a legal cloning program early in the history of the Macintosh, consumers might have turned to low-priced Macintosh clones rather than low-priced IBM/PC-compatible computers. Had it pursued a clone program in the 1980s, in this view, Apple might have ended up in the position currently occupied by Microsoft—an extremely powerful company with high profit margins and a wide base of consumers perpetually dependent on its system software products. Jobs claimed it was now too late for this to happen, that the Mac clone program was doomed to failure from the start, and since Apple made money primarily by selling computer hardware, it ought not engage in a licensing program that would reduce its hardware sales.
P
pfigen
Jan 21, 2009
I had a Daystar when Jobs came back, and just after the clones were killed, my motherboard went out and I had no recourse. An empty box I had paid 10K for (without memory or drives) was ultimately sold to a former Daystar employee for a whopping $800. I probably just about broke even on that deal.
P
PShock
Jan 21, 2009
My PowerTower Pro 225 purchased in 1996 still works great!

Apple purchased Power Computing when they killed the clones – and Apple was the company who provided warranty service when my machine needed a new floppy drive. 🙂

-phil
L
Lundberg02
Jan 22, 2009
I think Jobs was dead wrong to kill the clones, but he probably was justifiably concerned about compromising the look and feel.
P
pfigen
Jan 22, 2009
For the most part it was a good decision. I just had bad luck and bat timing. It was never worth getting that worked up over.
P
PShock
Jan 22, 2009
I said:

"The Mac market is close to 50% of their revenue

Mark said:

Sadly I’m not sure this is true anymore, that’s the worry.

Ok, it’s closer to 40% but that’s still a huge chunk of Apple’s business. From yesterday’s report earnings according to Macworld. < http://images.macworld.com/images/news/graphics/138362-reven ue-breakdown-pie_original.jpg>

Keep in mind also, that every category, including the Mac segment continues to grow year after year. (the Mac category includes desktops, portables, software, and peripherals)

The only tiny bit of worry I have is that desktop sales are shrinking and laptops are growing. But consumer products always drive the pro products.

All said and done, Macs aren’t going away any time soon ….

-phil

(It’s astonishing that the iPhone is such a large part of Apple’s revenue after a mere 18 months!)
AW
Allen_Wicks
Jan 22, 2009
In spite of shrinking tower market share, in the world of computers desktop graphics pros have always been opinion leaders FWIW, as hardware testers if nothing else. If Apple’s best boxes fail to rock negative feedback regarding all Macs would trickle down. That would detract from the synergistic halo effect that Apple’s products enjoy.

Ergo my expectation is that Apple will continue building good pro Macs with or without SJ actively involved. However the shrinking tower share will very likely slow the rate of new tower introductions. Plus IMO existing towers are very excellent even for very heavy apps, so the actual need for new towers is pretty much just keeping-up-with-the-Joneses; in the tech world if you slow down you die.

IMO.
L
Lundberg02
Jan 22, 2009
Microsoft to lay off 5,000.
In lieu of severance pay, each employee will be given 10,000 copies of Vista he can sell.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Jan 23, 2009
"according to Macworld" looks like someones Guesschart to me. It surely can’t break down like that for 2009

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections