R
Posted By
randalqueen
Dec 18, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Today, I got the new MLB put into my MBP. I can’t believe I can finally see the right colors and so far, knock on wood, no shifting, no banding or pixelating when moving an image window within PS, and it appears to be stable. NO more half complete buttons either where half the button image in PS was missing at times.

Yea…

So I created a test shot

<http://kayakingbear.com/testbed_sRGB_embed.jpg>

Things about this test shot:

1. The red jacket and blue drysack hanging should be a bit saturated because you are shooting in what is essentially a large softlight box. And those items are in the ‘shadow’ and so will do this. I actually sponged the two items to desaturate them a tad but left them a tad hot as they normally would be.

2. You should be able to see on the red jacket the vertical zipper on the black front chest of the jacket. Saying that the shadows should not be muddy and a vertical zipper on the black material should show.

3. The National Geo Magazine should be blood red or really maroon. Not a version of bright red.

4. The cigarette lighter should be a cooler forest green while the green on the cigarette pack should be warmer.

5. The oranges should all be about the same color though the bag on the dash near the window should be cooler or a tad bluish orange as it is in real life.

6. The only specular highlights should be the top left corner of the paper laying on top and maybe the hinge by the binoculars.

Typical workflow. Saved for Web. On my ACD matte 23 inch. Looks good in Firefox, Safari, and Plainview (love that prgm)

Please let me know the following:

If you can or cannot see the black zipper on the coat AND post your system so I know what you are viewing on.

For example, my roommate’s PC –

Inspiron Laptop 1720 with glossy screen – no zipper.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
RQ,

I’ll post if and when I see the image. You might want to consider posting a smaller image and using a free service like Pixentral. Your server is, er… kind of slow.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2008
OK, it finally downloaded. The colors are as you described them. Zipper on right side of red jacket is visible (on your left as you view the image, right side when you wear the item).

On either of my two calibrated side-by-side dual monitors, on my desktop Mac.

Looks like you’ve got the hang of it. (Sure… the new mother board and all that, hehehe…) 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 18, 2008
Looking good Randal!

I can see the zipper and your colors look natural and fit your descriptions.

Viewed in Photoshop on a NEC 2690 WUXi (a wide-gamut monitor).
R
randalqueen
Dec 18, 2008
Thanks guys!!!

The best part is I have my MBP displaying almost exactly what the ACD shows, considering the screen for the MBP isn’t the greatest quality, this is really good news.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. And glad both can see the zipper and all is well.

And nice to know the wide gamut is even close to identical. That too is nice to know.

Sorry about the slower server, I go thru someone not mine anymore. And sorry that isn’t the coolest image I had but it was one that I saw a lot of color in to test.

Again – thank you so very much.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 18, 2008
Slightly blown out in Preview OS 10.4.11. I’ll see what it looks like in CS2
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 18, 2008
It isn’t blown-out in Preview on my monitor — it matches both the Safari and the CS4 renderings.
B
Buko
Dec 18, 2008
We know Lundy’s monitor profile is bad. from the gray looking blue in another thread.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 18, 2008
why post the fix on a new thread and not on your other one where all the troubleshooting advice was given — it may save someone else the time of having to go through all that fun
C
Cindy
Dec 18, 2008
why post the fix on a new thread

Because they closed down the other thread.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 18, 2008
Because they closed down the other thread.

They did?! <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b73214/330>

Starting a new thread helps re-focus and was even suggested in the previous lengthy thread. Much of that previous thread involved an issue that apparently was resolved with a hardware repair. Now that this is fixed, Randall can move on to dealing with incorrect display of web images on different platforms and different browsers. The Inspiron laptop test indicates there’s a bit farther to go.

Since Mac users are prone to use Safari and we have realized that the image now appears correctly for Mac/Safari, Randall may want to take this discussion over to the Photoshop Windows forum to address why the Dell laptop was not accurate.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 18, 2008
Randall can move on to dealing with incorrect display of web images
on different platforms and different browsers.

I agree, that answer was given in post #1 on his other thread, and simple troubleshooting steps to identify hardware issues were added later.

My point is, this thread raises the question fresh and didn’t even link back to the previous explanations…
R
randalqueen
Dec 18, 2008
Sorry. I thought by using the topic : Update Incorrect Web Display of Images, I was kinda linking back to the original thread but as well, instead of making someone go through that many post, many off topic, that I would start fresh.

The Inspiron is a glossy screen with deep blacks and so I expect that notebook to fail the zipper test. The screen is straight off the shelf knowing my roommate and no calibration. It’s an ok laptop but not the greatest for graphics.

I was just happy to hear from Ramon and Ann that the images look like they should. That is the first time in a long time I got that response.

Plus, maybe someone gave up on the other thread and took a look in here just for grins and maybe took a look at the image and saw things can go right and can work.

Sorry again.

R
L
Lundberg02
Dec 18, 2008
Buko, not proven.
R
randalqueen
Dec 18, 2008
On another note, now that I see g ballard here… the test on your website works now on this machine. I can go to SFW and preview and choose any of the four and the preview image will change accordingly so that if I choose the Mac choice for example, the image will lighten because of the 1.8 gamma. So while I can soft proof better, I can set the image now and let it display under most circumstances the way it should. I still know I cannot control what each user uses or calibrates or not. I just wanted feedback on a simple test and verify the new MLB.

This was only after a few tests, only time will tell if the thing is really fixed and running as best as a MBP can.

Thanks again guys.
B
Buko
Dec 18, 2008
Buko, not proven.

you’re the one who sees blue where there is none. Now if you say something is blue we must believe you. If what you saw was blue and everyone else with puck calibrated monitors saw gray then the only conclusion is your monitor profile is bad.

But this is all based on what you said.
L
Lundberg02
Dec 19, 2008
Yes, but only certain images in Preview and not in Photoshop. Stay tuned.

BTW RQ see <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn4TwKVXy10> for a 23 apple vs Eizo gamut
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 19, 2008
The monitor shown in that clip is the lower-priced Eizo however.

If you want a monitor with a wider gamut that approaches Adobe RGB you need either the NEC 2690WUXi or the other Eizo (which is very expensive).
JJ
John Joslin
Dec 19, 2008
He said "Eezo" I’ve always thought of it as "Eyezo". Any Japanese speakers here?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 19, 2008
Just a minimal acquaintance with the language but I believe that the e and the i would be sounded separately and with equal emphasis.

So e as in "end" followed by "i" as the "e" in "eat.

Eh-ee-zo
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
"In Japanese, EIZO means `image’ or `vision’."

Pronounced AY-ZO, where AY rhymes with bay.
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
And what was the calibration hardware that you use Lundy?
L
Lundberg02
Dec 19, 2008
Buko, let’s remember that ColorSync has problems, Apple builds pink LCDs, and Safari can’t handle wide gamut. I don’t have a whole lot of time to screw around with minor discrepancies in a few images, but I am still pursuing it.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 19, 2008
The image referred to in THIS thread is not "wide-gamut" but has an embedded sRGB Profile which Safari understands and it is displaying correctly on my wide-gamut NEC monitor.

The image looks exactly the same when I open it in Photoshop CS4 on the same monitor as it does in Safari.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections