B
Posted By
BJNicholls
Apr 27, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve tried to open or import as layers several of the OBJ files provided on the content disk, and I’ve tried a few OBJ exports from Strata. In all cases instead of a 3D object, I get a layer that shows a bitmap header of the main application’s menu and controls. The following link is a screen capture showing what I get, I put a white layer behind the 3D layer to enhance clarity.

< http://home.comcast.net/~bjnicholls/fileaccess/PSExtendedOBJ fileopen.jpg>

I’m running a Matrox Parhelia display driving dual displays if that’s somehow related.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BJNicholls
May 2, 2007
Okay, I’ll answer my own question. The problem is the Matrox card. I assume that Photoshop doesn’t work with Matrox’s 3D acceleration – or at least with the Parhelia APVe card and drivers I was running. On Monday, I had one of the dualhead channels fail to send signal to my second display. This was probably coincidental, but perhaps the failure to render 3D was a precursor to the DVI channel failure. I installed an ATI FireGL 3400 card today and, voile, OBJ files open and display as advertised.
B
BJNicholls
May 2, 2007
One other observation. I installed Strata’s CX5 tryout and it performed fine for modeling and rendering with the Parhelia, while at the same time PS CS3 Extended failed to work with that card. I’m betting that Extended doesn’t work with the level of Directx and OpenGL that Matrox provides.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections