M
Posted By
mltb210
Dec 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I use the spot healing brush or the healing brush, the actual output is a tiny spot in the center of the round brush cursor. It doesn’t matter what size the brush is; it still outputs just a point in the center of the round cursor. It’s driving me crazy!

My paint brush was doing the same thing until I turned off the Shape Dynamics.

Settings:
Clone Source > Show overly (unchecked)
Clone Source > Clipped (unchecked)
Brushes > Shape dynamics (unchecked, locked)

PS CS4, Mac Pro, OSX 10.5, 10G RAM

Thanks for your help.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 17, 2008
Reset the Healing Brush.

It uses the Brush settings that were in use immediately prior to your selection of the tool but yours still seems to be using your old brush settings.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 18, 2008
No you are using a wacom tablet? Resetting won’t help, don’t worry this issue confuses many people.

After selecting your healing brush in the options bar there is a brush icon shape in the Options bar. To the right of this is a small black arrow, click this and you will probably see your size is set to "pen Pressure" – reset this to Off. Spot healer is the same. This is the way to make the healing brush respond to pen pressure if you want.

Unfortunately it defaults to pen pressure size for all the tools. The brush tool should probably default instead to Opacity pressure, which is generally less disruptive and more useful in my opinion
P
PShock
Dec 18, 2008
Mark is correct – the only way to change the Healing Brush behavior is through the option bar. The normal brush pallet doesn’t come into play at all. It does sound like the OP is using a tablet and pen pressure is selected. If not using a tablet and this is happening, then there are problems.

Personally, I love the pen pressure option with the Healing Brush as it lets me use a larger-than-normal sized brush. I can target a small or large area without the constant need to change brush sizes. (also the reason the overlay mode gets in the way)

-phil
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 18, 2008
Mark is mistaken about this there is no opacity pressure there is only pen pressure stylus wheel which I think is outdated and off, there is no reason for it to be turned off unless there is something amiss with your Stylus settings in the Wacom drivers.

I have it at the default of Pen pressure which is something you definitely want to keep except in rare occasions unless you really preferred to work with a restricted method and in constant need of changing the pen size.

At any rate this should not be happening and i would say you might be working on an adjustment layer and it only seems to you that this is what is happening.

You want to refocus your work to a layer that has live pixels. That is images or texture or color not mathematics.
P
PShock
Dec 18, 2008
I only WISH there was an option for opacity with the Healing brush. There isn’t – the only way to reduce opacity is with the Fade command (performed right after the brush stroke), or use a separate cloning layer and reduce the layer’s opacity.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 18, 2008
This is the healing and spot healing brush or tool if you wish.

This not a bad feature request and perhaps a brilliant one Phil, to have the healing and spot healing and patch tool to have the option to heal on a separate layer so you never actually do anything to the original with these tools and give you a chance to edit what you have done with the eraser and history brush, opacity settings and mode blending.

Also a chance to redefine the edges of the healed or patch regions. It’s an outstanding inspiration. You set the reference and then when you start using the tool it creates a layer if you need yet another layer you hold down a key combination and a new layer associated with
future use of the tool is on that layer unless you hod down a key combination that sets you back to the previous layer.

This is just a wonderfully delightful ingenious impulse.
M
mltb210
Dec 18, 2008
Mark Reynolds, you have saved my sanity and workflow. Thanks for sharing your knowlege. And yes, I am using a Wacom tablet.

Many blessings to you.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 18, 2008
Wade I was talking about the BRUSH tool having pressure opacity options not the healing brush. Brush is also set to pen pressure width as default, and like I say my opinion is that this should not be the case.

The defaults for healing and spot should be width to "OFF" because you’ve no idea how many people carve away on their tablet with maximum pressure with the healing brush because they have no idea that this option is set, as mltb has found.

This not a bad feature request and perhaps a brilliant one Phil, to have the healing and spot healing and patch tool to have the option to heal on a separate layer – you are joking Wade I hope!
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 18, 2008
Patch tool changes can also be lifted off if necessary onto a seperate layer. Its obviously necessary to duplicate or produce a merge layer, before you do this. Difference or Apply image, and actioned.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections