GP
Posted By
Genie_Prokaski
Dec 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What is the secret to taking a .jpg file that’s, say, 5" x 8" with a resolution of 90 ppi and enlarging it to roughly 36" x 48" with a resolution of 300ppi without having a huge file size and having it look good? The finished product is a banner printed on vinyl. Are there any tips you could offer?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JM
J_Maloney
Dec 17, 2008
Wow Genie. There’s no secret. It won’t look great. It depends on the image content and the JPG quality could easily be a factor as well.

<http://vectormagic.com/>
JD
John_Danek
Dec 17, 2008
I use "Genuine Fractals" which is a Photoshop plug-in that regenerates the image, great for enlarging. Couple of things to keep in mind:

1.) It may be necessary to run another plug-in called "Image Doctor" by Alien Skin. Because you’re dealing with a .jpg file, Image Doctor can remove compression artifacts, as well as other fix-ups before you enlarge. You’re talking about approx. 600% enlargement, which means any image defects will be compounded 6x.

2.) Banners printed on vinyl are probably going to be printed via inkjet. If that’s the case, you only need 120 – 150ppi which will keep you file size lower than it would be at 300ppi at 100%.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Dec 17, 2008
Doesn’t 5×8" scale proportionately to 48×30"? And that is only at 12-15 ppi if you are starting at 90 ppi. Even if you use the tools John notes and allow the poster to be produced at 120 ppi, that is still an unholy stretch that will not look good. Hopefully, you are working with a picture of a blizzard.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 17, 2008
Genie,

The more sharply defined edges and the more detail in the original, the worse the enlargement will be. Even with the tools suggested, unless the original image is fairly soft and is bereft of fine detail, it will not look good on close examination. If the enlargement is not meant to be seen close up, so much the better.

But if you were to place your image and an original high-res version side by side after enlargement, in most cases you would see clear differences in quality, regardless of any electronic noodling you do.

Neil
B
Buko
Dec 17, 2008
Genie, the secret, is the Hollywood CSI filter plugin. It can do some pretty amazing things. But unless you know some TV or movie studio people its really hard to get one of these filters and they cost an arm and a leg.
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Dec 17, 2008
My nephew’s fiance’s uncle works on the CSI set, I’ll see if I can get one for ya real cheap : )
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2008
🙂 Maybe you can get the contact info for that lab that generates a DNA profile and its database match in fifteen minutes. 😀
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 17, 2008
More like 15 seconds. <g> Maybe if we can add some nonstop buzzes, whirs, hoots, and purrs to our computers, they go faster.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 17, 2008
More like 15 seconds. <g> Maybe if we add those nonstop buzzes, whirs, hoots, and purrs to our computers, they go faster.

Neil
B
Buko
Dec 18, 2008
My nephew’s fiance’s uncle works on the CSI set, I’ll see if I can get one for ya real cheap : )

for just a leg?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections