LA
Posted By
Lucy_Aron
Jul 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Suddenly every time I try to set new resize parameters in "image" the same parameters are changed in "canvas." I have an iMac, OS 9.2
Thank you.

lucy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 9, 2004
Image size and canvas size are same.
If you add canvas size, it becomes the overall image size.

If using layers,you can make size of a layer smaller than the canvas size, with transparency around the now unused area of the canvas size, if that is what you are after.

Mac
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 10, 2004
When I resize an image to say 5 inches wide, how come the image becomes too large for my 17 inch monitor? When I tap "Fit on screen" the image reduces, but shouldn’t the image be 5 inches as soon as it changes?
Thanks, Hugh
(I know, I know, I should not have named the monitor "Hal Junior")
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 10, 2004
5 inches means nothing to a monitor.

Monitors only know pixel dimensions.

viewing at 100% size (actual pixel size), it will simply show all the pixels in the image.
Physical size on your monitor is determined by physical size of your screen and the pixel dimensions you are running for that screen.

If you click View/Print Size, it should show you fairly close to actual print size if you are running 800×600 on 17" monitor, or 1024 on 19" monitor.

Mac
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Jul 10, 2004
Mac;

Thanks, now I know a bit more about the way my computer works, but then, as an old darkroom slave, printing with my computer is a new, strange, and wonderful trip, in a foreign land where I don’t speak the language.

Hugh
CN
Cezar_Nicolescu
Jul 11, 2004
Hello
I would like to know how can I resize an image keeping the quality of that image when I don’t use constrain proportions. It’s this possible?
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 11, 2004
Cezar,
1. Duplicate background layer, shut off visibility to background layer
2. Working on the duplicate layer, select the rectangular marquee tool. Set style to fixed size, perhaps 6"x4", slide around the outline to embrace that which you wish to retain
3. Go to Image>Crop
4. In step 2 you can play around with the settings to suit. Remember, in order to obtain a decent print, you want to have 240-300 px.in.resolution. For this reason, at the very beginning of this process, I go to Image>resize>image size and set the resolution to fall close to these parameters. Hope that this helps.
Ken

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections