GB
Posted By
Guy Burns
Dec 15, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d like to know how to retain K = 100 text when I convert from CMYK to grayscale. I assumed black would map to black. My settings are:

CMYK profile: US Sheetfed uncoated v2
Grayscale profile: gamma 2.2

Rendering intent: relative colorimetric
Color engine: Adobe ACE

Dither and black point compensation ticked.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PF
Peter_Figen
Dec 15, 2008
You need to create your text in CMYK, not RGB or use a conversion profile that gives you the black generation you want for the text, knowing that it will probably play havoc with the rest of your image.
P
progress
Dec 15, 2008
Are you sure you want 100% K text? Wont look very black on print.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 15, 2008
progress,

If you are using small-to-medium size text, yes, you want just black. You just want 100% K. A minor press misregistration will give you some rather unpleasant color fringing.

In addition, if you are printing type against a white or very light background, your eye will perceive the type as black. In fact, very dark colors, which in color patches are quite distinct, if used as a text color against white will appear black or near black. It’s how your eye perceives them.

Neil
GB
Guy Burns
Dec 15, 2008
Good point Neil. Plus, I’m printing on a Xerox iGen. If I print in colour just for the sake of richer blacks, the price doubles.
P
progress
Dec 15, 2008
Sorry I wasn’t thinking along the lines of small text, which is something that I wouldn’t do in PS… probably why 🙂
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Dec 16, 2008
You need to complain to Adobe about their inadequate software for the actual world.
P
ps1
Dec 16, 2008
I just now had a pie chart in PS where there was a a couple lines of black text (not in the chart itself), and I converted to CMYK using Maximum Black Generation to ensure that the text was on the black plate only — Is my chart going to be hosed or will it be OK?
PF
Peter_Figen
Dec 17, 2008
ps1 – you may not be hosed, but your image might print darker and with less saturation than you intended. If I were you, I would make two separation, one for the text and one for the rest of the image and combine them together to get the best of both. Of course, if it’s just a small illustration, it may not be worth the effort and no one may even care what it looks like.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections