how do i add my web gallery to my website?

S
Posted By
silhouetteofjj
Jul 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
i can’t seem to figure out how to publish the web gallery to my online site. it only show that the gallery is my files, and i can view it from my computer, but i cant add it so that others can view it.
if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it. thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Jul 5, 2004
if you are speaking of the ‘web photo gallery’ option in elements ya have to upload ‘everything’ that the gallery generated. When you created a ‘destination’ folder you’ll see inside this folder there are five seperate folders filled with thumbnales, index, pages etc…. I use an FTP program and just load all the files in from there to my webspace.
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 5, 2004
silhouetteofjj,
Further to Jodi’s advice, the help files within Elements are quite good. Go to help>index>w>web gallery.

My computer is Widows XP (Home), and under All Programs there is Internet Explorer>WebPublishingWizard. I followed this step by step.
The thing still did not work and I called my ISP, and I had to rename one of the files INDEX.HTML. The other pages are then linked to this.

Ken
S
silhouetteofjj
Jul 6, 2004
thanks you guys! i will try it and hopefully that will fix the problem. thanks!
S
silhouetteofjj
Jul 11, 2004
i’m still having problems….i used the web publishing wizard and it allowed me to publish the files to a msn group (for me) but it didn’t have an option to publish it to another web.
i’m totally confused..the files are there but i’m not sure how to view them as a whole instead of individually..what am i missing?
am i suppose to just upload the main html file into my webpage somehow, and then it links everything together?
CM
Colin_McKinney
Jul 11, 2004
I’ve just finished my first web page and I also had problems at the ‘publishing’ stage.

I downloaded a free program, CoffeeCup FTP (easy to find through Google) – it’s really good and best of all has a truly helpful Help section for beginners like me 🙂
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 11, 2004
silhouette,
Try using an FTP client to upload your gallery to your webspace. Once you have created your gallery, everything will be located in the destination directory which you had specified earlier. Depending upon the gallery style you chose, there will be one or more HTM files, one of them is index.htm, plus three subdirectories. Those are ‘images’, ‘pages’, and ‘thumbnails.
This entire file and directory system needs to be uploaded to your webspace. Now, let’s say the address is ‘http://home.yourISP/YourName/‘, and once it contains the index.htm and the subdirectories that you uploaded, go to this URL and the index file will automatically execute and bring up your web gallery. HTH. 🙂

Juergen
JG
Julio_Guerra
Jul 11, 2004
Look at Jalbum. It sets up a web gallery and publishes it to the site of your choice and it is free.

I just downloaded it a couple of days ago and will be learning how to use it but it really looks like it will do what you want to do with a lot of great options for different kinds of gallery skins.

<http://jalbum.net/>

Julio
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jul 11, 2004
Juergen,
The last time that we communicated on this topic I was attempting to emulate your great web site, but was unable to attain my goal.
I did manage to put something together for my wife:
<http://members.cox.net/deenabl/index.html>

As I indicated earlier in this thread, the process did not function until I had renamed a file from index.htm to index.html. This was pointed to me by tech support from my ISP, and probably other ISP’s require this as well. Perhaps this is the nuance giving silhouetteofjj the problem.

Ken
JD
Juergen_D
Jul 11, 2004
Ken,
Thanks for the kind mention. You seem to be making good progress! I think silhouette’s problem was trying to upload using the XP wizard. I never could figure out if and how one can use it to upload to a personal web space. That’s why I suggested the use of an FTP client. Of course, it is good to remember the possibility of changing the file extension to ‘.html’ if ‘.htm’ does not work.

Juergen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections