B
Posted By
bob733
Apr 24, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
While learning the Hue and Saturation process (to change the color of a sweater), I also tried to change the color or the persons hair.

Where as I could change the sweater I could not change the hair. Possibly it was pure black or something and this stopped me.

Anyway, this set me on a course of selecting the hair portion in the photo, and trying to create (draw) hair to replace the black uneditable (as far as I could tell), current black hair.

I have uploaded the orginal internet picture I was working with to see what you pros would do. Lets say, I wanted to change the black to Blond (and remember my Hue and Saturation on the selection hair would not work).

thanks in advance

Bob

Here is the pixcentral url < http://www.pixcentral.com/viewer.php?id=147350forinternet.jp g>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 25, 2007
Bob,

This hair is solid black. Image is much too small to do anything at all with it.

In the days when you still erased the better part of an image before submitting it to us for repair, at least they had some size.

If you want to change colour of hair, it has to have detail and colour (not black).

Then, select the colour you want, and paint the hair with it in Color Mode.

Rob
B
bob733
Apr 25, 2007
Ouch! That picture was the best I could do because I got it from the internet to practice one of the tutorials. Anyway, let me try to do something using the Color mode
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 25, 2007
Bob,

Don’t practice with that material. It’s only delaying your skill development.

Take your camera and shoot people and things (no pun intended) bring that on screen and have a go at that.

It’s a bad idea to copy thumbnailish images off the web to do this.

Learn to work on images that are at least 2000 pixels a given axis. There’s really no fun at editing 50×50 px images that have blown elements, and compression artefacts.

Do as I say!

Rob
B
bob733
Apr 25, 2007
So it is written, so it shall be done.
Thanks
Bob
P
Phosphor
Apr 25, 2007
Go have a poke around <http://www.sxc.hu>

Lots of good stuff to practice on there.

Nice BIG images. You’ll have to register a free account to D/L the large images.
G
grannysplayhouse
Apr 25, 2007
Rob,
I LUV someone with an authoritive attitude.. I’m all ashiver with goose-bumps.. Dare I mention masks….

Bob, cloning in someone elses hair might even work on this ittsy bittsy image for practice… It would be a lot better than trying to "Draw" hair.. that would give you the texture to work with when you try the color mode..

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=15QNapNe08zAoXgaqc wU2qpV9GQzn1>

But all joking aside…. I agree… Larger IS better!
Granny

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections