DM
Posted By
dave milbut
Aug 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
make sure you’re not running norton protected recycle bin.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

H
Ho
Aug 27, 2003
Hey Lance,

Nice job in France…
P
Phosphor
Aug 27, 2003
Photoshop will use only as much memory as you specify in preferences. And it sounds like you specified that it go up to 150 Meg or so.

And Photoshop doesn’t consume memory when sitting truly idle.

More likely you have the file browser open and it’s reading files to create previews and get the metadata.
LA
Lance Armstrong
Aug 27, 2003
Thanks for all those replies.

Is there a quick rule of thumb for specifying memory and cache in preferences?
DM
dave milbut
Aug 27, 2003
Is there a quick rule of thumb for specifying memory and cache in preferences?

more.

seriously… about 70-80% is standard. any more and you’ll start to starve the OS unless you have more than 2 gig of ram.
DC
Diane Choi
Aug 27, 2003
anybody know what i can do to fix this error message:
"Could not complete the command because the scratch disks are full"? i’ve tried cleaning up my c drive – where else should i go? Please help!
D
dpick
Aug 27, 2003
Diane–it’s always a good idea to start a new thread when you have a different question to ask instead of just tacking it onto an existing thread.

Beyond that, however, under Edit/Preferences/Plugins and Scratch Disks you have the option of designating more than one scratch disk. If you have more than one partition, choose one as your second scratch disk.

If you only one partition (your "C" disk) and it’s close to full–buy another hard disk. Simply cleaning up the one you have will not work in the long run, and hard disk prices are very reasonable. I currently use three hard disks and covet another…
DC
Diane Choi
Aug 27, 2003
thanks dpick! wonder if there’s a way to allocate a network drive as the "scratch disk?"
V
viol8ion
Aug 27, 2003
thanks dpick! wonder if there’s a way to allocate a network drive as the "scratch disk?"

You would NOT want to do that even if it was possible… after the problems of clogging the network pipeline with large images file info, you would run the risk of major file corruption and general slowness. Scratch disk needs to be on your local system for performance sake.
DC
Diane Choi
Aug 27, 2003
just wondering, thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections