Andrew_Pietrzyk
Apr 23, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
No longer working in CS3

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Apr 23, 2007
I loved this feature since it’s introduction in CS2… rolling bottom of the PS window all the way up to show desktop… but it’s pretty much useless now in CS3.

Images open at some ridiculous zoom settings (confined to that narrow space below Options Bar); "Zoom Resizes Windows" (Ctrl +/-) doesn’t work correctly in this mode… I (and others) have seen and reported this bug in CS3 Beta so to see it in the final release version is very disappointing for me.

Is this a bug nobody cares about… or perhaps something specific to my system… video card, drivers, etc? Is anybody else seeing this?

BTW: I found workaround (if anybody is interested… and has two monitors). I’m not sure (yet) I like working this way though.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 23, 2007
I was wondering if i was doing something wrong and was going to go back to the manual to check it out… 🙂

I can’t seem to be able to drag images outside the main app border in cs3…
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 23, 2007
BTW: I found workaround (if anybody is interested… and has two monitors). I’m not sure (yet) I like working this way though.

<REN>WHAT IS IT MAN?!!</REN> 🙂
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Apr 24, 2007
Take a look at this screen shot, Dave. Images open on my main monitor (1) normally in this configuration.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=11Dhaz37WmG6BBC8Fi Le7joqJpHfe>
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 24, 2007
i’ll have to go home and play w/it tonight, but i seem to remember not being able to get the image out of the main frame? or was i just confused b/c i was rushing?
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Apr 24, 2007
"I can’t seem to be able to drag images outside the main app border in cs3…"

Dave, I tried that and it does work. However, it looks weird because the image seems to disappear into a slot until I drag it completely out of the rolled-up background.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
ah. i’ll have to check that out then. thanks!
AP
Andrew_Pietrzyk
Apr 25, 2007
You can drag images outside of the CS3 window but this feature is so broken now… it’s completely useless. Back to the Stone Age…

This was working perfectly well in CS2 but nobody seems to care that it got broken in CS3… I guess there isn’t much interest in working "outside the window" on Windows side. <G>

Anyhow, moving CS3 window entirely over to the second monitor seems to solve the problem but that’s a kludge AFAIC.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
it does seem funky and i do hope they fix it. another thing i noticed is that the "resize window when zooming" isn’t working correctly. it seems to go ok up to a certain point then stops resizing when it fills up aprox 3/4 of the screen…
P
Phosphor
Apr 25, 2007
"it seems to go ok up to a certain point then stops resizing when it fills up aprox 3/4 of the screen…"

See if this behavior is different after you "TAB" all the palettes to invisible, Dave.

Here’s why I suggest this:
You know I just squeaked in under the wire und upgraded to PS CS2 this week, right?

In PS7, I used to keep my Colors Palette fully lower left on my monitor; my Toolbox was fully upper left. In PS 7, when I’d open or create a document that was really big, the document window would ignore the Color Palette with respect to how big it opened up (as you know, it will fill the available space betwen palettes), and where it the top right corner was positioned in respect to my monitor’s x, y origin point at the top left. It would open up tucked right up next to my Toolbox.

Now, in PS CS2, for the first day I had all my Palettes set up the same way I did in PS7. I’d open a big document, and the document window’s upper left corner would be positioned a couple inches toward the middle, away from the Toolbox, and up against the Options Bar. I just kind of fiugured that Adobe changed the location where Photoshop opened documents.

The next day, I was playing around and I rolled the Color Palette up into its little title bar, then moved the title bar to the bottom center of my monitor.

Lo and behold, documents again started opening up as far toward the upper left as they could, while still respecting the placement of the Toolbox.

All of this is to say: Try experimenting with where your palettes are located, and try the resizing with them in the TABbed, invisible state. You may make a discovery about the document window’s positioning and resizing behavior that isn’t well documented, just like I did.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
I will check it phos, but i was playing with the palettes thinking it might be something like that. I’ll report back. Probably better to start a new thread if that doesn’t fix it. Still does anyone else see this behaviour?
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
ok. 2 things to note on the actual topic of this thread… (i’ll be checking on the zoom thing next and post a new thread if required.)

confirming what’s been said. yes, it DOES move out of the screen, but not partially. you have to keep dragging then all of a sudden the image JUMPS from one screen to the other. this is when app is max on screen 1. it seems like it must be 1/2 way across the 2 monitors before this SNAP occurs. tested and it works the same when app is on screen 2.

2. when the app is "rolled up" on screen 1, it DOES come out, but again, it SNAPS out. AFTER it’s out of the main app frame, it behaves like it does in cs2, that is, you can have half the image on one screen and half on the other, in effect, spanning multiple monitors. this is what i was missing the other day as i was trying to view a long, large panorama image. ( pixentral link < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1nSDeV3Eo1SZBnAuMo s0nDirGu4wKr1> ) (yes autostitched in cs3 with 1 click from 4 images. sweet as!)

you know. playing with it. it seems less like a bug now that i understand how it’s working. once you get past that "SNAP" to get it out of the application (photoshop cs3) frame, it behaves as it did in cs2. try it out guys…

Images open at some ridiculous zoom settings (confined to that narrow space below Options Bar); "Zoom Resizes Windows" (Ctrl +/-) doesn’t work correctly in this mode… I (and others) have seen and reported this bug in CS3 Beta so to see it in the final release version is very disappointing for me.

ah yes. that’s still occurring. opening at "0.2%" for one particular image for me. they’re forcing the zoom level to fit in the rolled up area. once you drag it out (past the SNAP) you can resize it, but it is a bit annoying. i guess that could be called a bug as the actual frame of the image opened (if not the zoom level) is a decent ‘thumbnail’ size.

Take a look at this screen shot, Dave. Images open on my main monitor (1) normally in this configuration.

yes again (thanks!). once you get the 1st image out of the application frame and move it to the OTHER monitor all other images open at normal size on the monitor you move the image to.

note 1: doesn’t work unless you move it to the OPPOSITE monitor.

Note 2: it DOES work for BOTH monitors, i.e. if your main app is on monitor 1 you have to drag an image to monitor 2 for the rest to open full size on monitor 2, and vice versa (app on mon 2, image to mon 1, more images open full size on mon 1)

Anyhow, moving CS3 window entirely over to the second monitor seems to solve the problem but that’s a kludge AFAIC.

correct, as you’d want to work on images on your main calibrated monitor (mon 1). though as i said above it DOES work in reverse also.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 25, 2007
and on the other topic, no phos that didn’t help BUT, i found that if i uncheck the option for "Resize window to fit" in the option bar for the zoom tool, zoom, then RECHECK the option, then it seems to work correctly (except for a small bar aprox the width of a scroll bar on the right side of the application window. weird. i still thing this is a bug, can anyone else here confirm or deny this one before i open a new thread on it?
KD
Kirk_Dickinson
Jul 12, 2007
This problem is still bothering me even after forcing myself to use CS3 for months.

With CS2 I liked to position Photoshop at the top of the screen to its smallest allowed size, then drag all the working windows onto the desktop wherever I want them to be. This is probably more of a mac-like way to work, but since I don’t have a mac, I don’t know. I just like to work this way.

Now, when I have a window outside of Photoshop and hit ctrl-0 to zoom to fit on screen, it does a very weird thing, Photoshop yanks the window off of the desktop and pulls it back into the narrow Photoshop window at the top and makes the image tiny tiny. 0.098% zoom on one of the images.

This didn’t happen in CS2.

Since I do a lot of web stuff, I like to have Dreamweaver and/or a web browser open below Photoshop so that I can sample colors for my designs. With CS3 this workflow just isn’t practical.

I played with Photoshop on the Mac the otherday and it works like it should on that platform.

Kirk

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections