JB
Posted By
Justin_Broniszewski
Apr 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I downloaded the trail version of CS3 to try out and it seemed to have installed correctly but something is definitely wrong. Sometimes CS3 will hang for a few seconds, I won’t be able to close any projects or open any, and when I click to make a new layer it crashes and says something about an error with MSVCR80.dll. I’m afraid to purchase CS3 if it’s going to do this all the time! TX for any help

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
ASUS A7N266-VM/AA
768MB of RAM
250GB HDD

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CK
Christine_Kringle
Apr 21, 2007
I had this problem too. I had to uninstall it and reinstall CS2. There was nothing I could figure out what to change to keep it from happening.

Hopefully someone else has an answer for you – just wanted you to know you’re not alone with this problem.

– Christine
JB
Justin_Broniszewski
Apr 21, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Glad to know I’m not alone! I wonder if has something to do with CS2?
C
c0mancheman
Apr 21, 2007
I am having exactly the same problem with CS3 crashing on one of my systems and suprising enough I have 768Mb ram on that system but my laptop with 1gig of ram has no problems. I am wondering just a guess if its something wrong with using 768meg of ram. Dont have time to test with 512Mb at the moment but may try that tomorrow see if it crashes with that. By the way my XP SP2 is a fresh install with latest updates and all updated drivers.

Baz
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 22, 2007
What percentage of memory are you assigning to Photoshop in preferences? Too high is not good; the default of 55%, or even a bit lower, may work better.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 22, 2007
I downloaded the trial version of CS3

I’m confused about how you’ve managed to download a trial which apparently is not yet available on the Adobe web store.

If you do decide to go for CS3, I’d seriously consider upgrading your system’s RAM to 2GB. No matter what it says on the side of the box, even CS2 struggles in 1GB when you work with largish files.

Chris.
JB
Justin_Broniszewski
Apr 22, 2007
Sorry, I didn’t mean the actual trial. I consider the beta/prerelease to be like a trial version but I know it isn’t. Anyway, what could be causing this? Once the trial is available can I still try that out even though I have used the beta? I would hate to upgrade only to find that I can’t use the program.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Apr 23, 2007
55% of what? 55% of 1G is 550M, of 2G is 1.1. If PS runs at 1.1G, it also should run at greater than 550M.

The problem, seems to me, is assignment and size of Scratch and Paging.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections