request: anyone know what the displacement map filename reqs are?

P
Posted By
Phosphor
Aug 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is new to me. I just save it as "anything.psd" and it works.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Stroker
Aug 26, 2003
Two things:
1. It has to be a PSD, which you seem to have covered.
2. If it has Layers, it has to have "Save Composite Thumbnail" or whatever that feature is called. Can be found somewhere in Preferences. Umm… File Handling > Image Previews.

Other than that, I have no idea what the problem is.
RB
Rene Blais
Aug 27, 2003
as i said, my best guess is that some moron at adobe set something wrong when coding it, as there seems to be some form of limitation based on the filename itself. as i said – two copies of the file, absolutely identical, except for filename. one worked, one didn’t.

all the files that worked, had less than 7 characters in their filenames.

go figure.
JR
John R Nielsen
Aug 28, 2003
I have never had any problem with file names for Dmaps.

Incidentally, I found you can even store them in the image you’re working on. Put them on a separate layer, hide all the other layers, and save.

Then, hide the Dmap layer, and show the other layers. You can now use the file’s name on itself. Admittedly, this is not too practical for images of any sort of complexity, though.

– John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections