Posted By
irfan_intekhab
Apr 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
hi,
i finally got the installer to run but it takes about 600 mb space in c: and as well as in d: my windows drive is c: now i dont want bridge or any such thing except from photoshop cs3 so how do i install everything on d: and not a single mb goes on c: any idea?
thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
Apr 21, 2007
and not a single mb goes on c:<<

Not possible without re-locating your Documents and Settings folder which in itself has other implications. Even then, some data will also go into Program Files.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Apr 21, 2007
Len, I regularly do image backups of both my boot partition (C:) and of my data partition (which is on a second drive) to a third drive. For years, my practice has been to move My Documents to the second drive. I also move my paging file, Outlook e-mail files and nickname files, along with several other folders, to the second drive. That helps me keep my boot partition very lean, usually in the 5GB to 6GB range for Win XP Pro. I typically format C: to about 12GB to provide generous room for expansion. An image backup of that partition to a third drive takes only 4 to 5 minutes. Also, I periodically burn the image backups to a DVD for another level of redundancy.

It is the D&S folder on C: that is impossible to control fully. Some apps insist on storing some files there, but they don’t typically use a lot of space. I install most programs to C: so I can recover quickly in case a glitch mangles the registry or some similarly critical files. But if a program is both huge and non-critical (like Flight Simulator), I install it to a Program Files folder on the second drive. There is no problem in creating a Program Files folder on any available partition or drive.

My method is quite secure and fairly painless, and it has saved my bacon a couple of times. It also frees me from worrying about the possible instability of beta software. I run a quick image backup of C: and then install the app. If it does bad or weird things, I can boot from a recovery CD and restore the C: image in 15 minutes or less.
L
LenHewitt
Apr 21, 2007
Joe,

It is the D&S folder on C: that is impossible to control fully.<<

So is the Common files folder under Program Files.
II
irfan_intekhab
Apr 22, 2007
yeah len is right
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Apr 23, 2007
Yeah, and so am I. What Len said and what I said are not mutually exclusive.

Windows uses a convoluted, inflexible architecture that defies attempts by any mere mortal to establish a straightforward backup plan.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections