Posted By
Cynthia_Marshall
Apr 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello…I’m using the CS2 package….

I want to use Photoshop to design the side of a boat….38ft long, but only 30 inches high. I can’t create that size document in Photoshop without dpi being less than 72. I tried to proportion it down to 114in x 7.5in, but it won’t let me place EPS creations because it says the document will be too big.

How would you go forward? Would I piece-meal it? I didn’t want to do that because I wanted pictures to blend/fade in and out of one-another seamlessly.

Thanks for any advice on direction here,
Cynthia

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Apr 18, 2007
Older version limited you to 30 000 pixels, CS and CS2 allow 300 000
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 18, 2007
Be aware that the PSB format that allows 300,000 pixels is not well supported by printers.

What is the end use of the artwork. We may be able to offer suggestions.
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 18, 2007
What is the end use of the artwork. We may be able to offer suggestions.

I want to use Photoshop to design the side of a boat….38ft long, but only 30 inches high.

Does that help Don? 😉
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 19, 2007
Would it not be better to use a CAD program for your proposed application? Surely you are not planning to paint the side of a 38 foot boat with graphics at >72dpi.
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 19, 2007
I want to use Photoshop to design the side of a boat

Then why not use a 12:1 scale, like you would if you were designing on paper. Unless you are looking to make some kind of transfer or stencils, then I see no need to use a 1:1 scale.
RB
Richard_BRackin
Apr 19, 2007
She doesn’t have to paint the boat.
There are digital printers out there that do this sort of printing using pressure-sensitive vinyl graphics.

Pro fishermen wrap their bassboats to match their suburbans and pickup trucks all the time.

Cynthia,
Just enable the .psb format, and do they layout work in .psb Flatten and save a copy of it as a TIF when you’re done. Send through a printer / laminator.
Install the graphics.
Voila.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 20, 2007
If you really are turning out graphics for the side of a boat, you don’t need 300 ppi. Even 72 ppi would be overkill.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections