J
Posted By
jamesfcole
Apr 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just upgraded to CS3 and discovered that CS3 does not seem to recognize the extra memory (Edit – Preferences – Performance) that CS2 did. I have 4 GB of memory installed using XP Pro SP2 (32-bit) with the 3 GB switch enabled in my autoexec.bat file. CS2 sees a bit over 3GB of which I could easily allocate about 70%. CS3 only sees 1709 MB.

Anyone solved this one yet?

Thanks,
Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Richard_Roussel
Apr 18, 2007
It sees my 3 gigs so the 3G switch works at my end…
DF
Daniel_Freese
Apr 18, 2007
Hi,
I am having the same problem, CS3 only sees 1709 MB.

XP Pro, SP2, P4 3.6, 4GB RAM
J
jamesfcole
Apr 18, 2007
Richard,

Are you on the same OS – XP Pro SP2? What could possibly be different?. Daniel reports the same problem.

Jim
RP
Russell_Proulx
Apr 18, 2007
CS = 1777 MB available
CS2 = 2694 MB available
CS3 = 2648 MB available

XPPro/SP2, Intel mobo, E6600, 4GB RAM w/3GB Switch

Russell
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 18, 2007
The 3GB switch should be set in your boot.ini file. If your settings are correct, PS will be able to see/use almost 3GB. I can post my boot.ini file (with a working 3GB switch) if people are still having problems with this.

-Adam
J
jamesfcole
Apr 18, 2007
Hi Adam,

The problem is not how to use or set up the 3GB switch, but the issue of having had the option work perfectly is CS2 and not being recognized in CS3. One poster says his works fine, another along with me find that it doesn’t for some reason.

I am trying to see if I can isolate the problem.

Jim
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 18, 2007
Jim,

I understand the problem you’re seeing, and worked with a few users during the PS CS3 beta on this exact issue. In most cases the boot.ini file was configured incorrectly, and once it was changed it worked in both CS2 and CS3 without issue. Still unsure why in some cases (like yours) it would work with CS2 and not CS3… any clues would be appreciated.

thanks,
-Adam
J
jamesfcole
Apr 18, 2007
Adam,

Thanks for following up. Would you go ahead and post your boot.ini lines so I can check to see if a bit is out of order? If I understand you correctly, in all the cases you’ve seen, an incorrect boot.ini caused the problem, but would have caused the same issue with CS2, right? This "works on CS2 but not on CS3" is a new problem that you have not seen?

Thanks again,
Jim
RR
Richard_Roussel
Apr 18, 2007
Yes, XpProSP2 …

I wonder if Adobe would let me install on my second partition, which has Vista ultimate . Same pc, 2nd partition…

I kept xP till i’m good with vista and i find myself installing all new programs on xp cuz i’m used to it, and it’s debugged allready !!!
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 18, 2007
I wonder if Adobe would let me install on my second partition, which has Vista ultimate . Same pc, 2nd partition…
I’m running CS3 under Vista Ultimate w/4G – Vista says 3070MB RAM, CS3 says 1670MB. FWIW

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
J
jamesfcole
Apr 18, 2007
I just realized that in my first post I referred to having the 3GB Switch enabled in my autoexec.bat file. I meant my boot.ini file. Sorry for any confusion.

Jim
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 18, 2007
I did investigate reports of the switch working with CS2 and not working with CS3 during the public beta. In most cases, a quick re-config of the boot.ini fixed the problem.

I just checked on my system (quad Athlon 64 FX-72, 4GB RAM, Windows XP Sp2) and the switch is working with both CS2 and CS3 (though I see much less RAM available to CS3, but still much more than ~1700MB before enabling the switch).

My boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 19, 2007
As just another data point, I have 4 GB installed in Win XP Pro, with the /3GB switch enabled. Here is what the available memory is reported as:

WinXP 3.5 GB (System properties)
PsCS2 2693 MB
PsCS3 2648 MB

Contents of boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /3GB /usepmtimer /NoExecute=OptOut
J
jamesfcole
Apr 19, 2007
Hmmm…

Well I checked my boot.ini with those of Adam and Michael. Mine was the same as Adam’s except the /fastdetect and /NoExecute switches were in a different order. I used Adam’s order and got the same results as before. My bootup memtest shows 4096MB, CS2 shows 2694MB and CS3 shows 1709MB.

I then used Michael’s boot.ini and got the exact same results. CS3 does not see the extra memory that CS2 does.

I cannot figure this out!

Any other suggestions? I am on an Intel Core2 Duo processor, not that it should matter, especially when the 3GB switch works fine with CS2.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.

Jim
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 19, 2007
Maybe there’s an issue with how memory is managed in the Core2 Duo. I have an AMD Athlon 64X2.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 19, 2007
The problem could be processor specific, however I didn’t see this when I checked on a dual Woodcrest system (Xeon 5100). My Core 2 Duo system at home only has 2GB of RAM, but I’ll see about setting up a system tomorrow w/4GB to see if I can reproduce this.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Apr 19, 2007
You do of course realize that the 3GB switch is not a guaranteed work. And, just because you were lucky enough to get it to work with CS2 doesn’t mean it will work with CS3. Since CS3 has to deal with a new OS (Vista) you may not get it to work. No one Microsoft or Adobe makes any promises about the 3GB switch. I know this doesn’t help, but it is reality in all of its ugly glory. Maybe someone from Adobe will shead some light on this.

Robert
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 19, 2007
Since CS3 has to deal with a new OS (Vista) you may
not get it to work.
FYI, on Vista you use increaseUserVA instead of /3GB and, after I added it with BCDedit, CS3 recognizes 2606 MB.

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
DF
Daniel_Freese
Apr 19, 2007
When I posted my message I was unaware of the 3GB switch.. I have now added the /3GB switch and PS CS3 now does recognize more available memory!

Thanks

XP Pro (SP2) – 4GB – P4 3.6
J
jamesfcole
Apr 19, 2007
Daniel,

What processor are you running in your computer…AMD or Intel?

Thanks,
Jim
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 19, 2007
I just tried this on my Core 2 Extreme system (4 x 2.66GHz, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, Intel Desktop Board D975XBX2, Windows XP Sp2), and I see 2699MB total available for CS2 and 2638MB available for CS3. I’m going to try once more on my E6600 (Core 2 Duo) system…

"Maybe someone from Adobe will shead some light on this."

I am part of the Photoshop quality engineering group at Adobe and I’m specifically interested in PS performance relative to hardware, so you’ve got my ear 🙂

Truth is using PS with the /3GB switch is not officially supported by us. Use it at your own risk as using the switch can cause system stability issues. If it works for you, and makes using PS a better experience, then don’t let us tell you otherwise 😉

-Adam
J
jamesfcole
Apr 19, 2007
Adam,

I’m looking forward to the results on your E6600 Core2 Duo system since this is what I am running and cannot seem to get CS3 to see the extra memory. I hope it works on yours as it will give me hope on mine. I am running an Asus PB5 Deluxe WiFi board with my E6600. Are you on an Intel board with your E6600? Just tyring to eliminate all the variables.

Thanks for checking in on this one. I understand that the 3GB switch is unsupported, but it’s kind of frustrating to go backwards in performance from CS2 to CS3.

Jim
DF
Daniel_Freese
Apr 19, 2007
Jim,

Intel Pentium 4 3.6GHz

Daniel.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 19, 2007
Jim,

Looks like the /3GB switch does work on my Intel E6600 system (Intel mobo). I have another E6600 system with an ASUS mobo, however it only has Win XP 64-bit installed on it, and I don’t have time today to do a new XP Pro install on that box. If you still can’t figure out why the switch isn’t working, I’ll try to make time in the next few days to check the E6600/Asus box.

-Adam
J
jamesfcole
Apr 19, 2007
Adam,

Thanks for following up. At least we know now that it’s not the processor. I really doubt it could be the motherboard, but if you find some time in the next few days, it would be great if you could eliminate that variable for me.

I really cannot figure out what else it could be. I have tried three variants of the boot.ini file to no avail. Does having CS2 and CS3 loaded on the same box be an issue? I really do not want to uninstall CS2 until I’m convinced that CS3 is doing everything else correctly.

I’ll keep pondering…

Jim
RO
Roman_Olmezov
Apr 20, 2007
What about /pae switch? I’m use it for CS2, for CS3 it’s not enough, so i’m add /3gb switch and now Photoshop seen 2639MB (4GB installed) – more than need under 32-bit OS.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 20, 2007
All of my recent /3GB switch tests have been on systems with both CS2 and CS3 installed.

Having both installed on your system at the same time shouldn’t be an issue.
RO
Roman_Olmezov
Apr 20, 2007
It’s not a same functional:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721/en-us And anyway – work for me.
J
jamesfcole
Apr 20, 2007
Adam, Thanks for that bit of info about CS2 and CS3 being installed at the same time. I am really running out of ideas here.

Jim
BC
Bill_Cheal
Apr 22, 2007
I found this tread to be very interesting. I looked up the /3G switch on Microsoft’s site. It confirms the boot.in configuration that Adam posted. The MS site also mentioned PAE support which allows the 32 bit OS to address more that 4GB of RAM. I looked on Intel’s web site and found this very interesting application note on how to maximize system performance. Here is the URL <http://cache-www.intel.com/cd/00/00/28/13/281339_281339.pdf>
It talks about disk and memory issues.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 22, 2007
Interesting that the page referenced in Bill’s post said that the improvement due to /3GB is much less than the improvement due to /3GB and /PAE with a 4 GB system. I’m going to try the /PAE switch.
J
jamesfcole
Apr 22, 2007
Thanks for the link, Bill. I will check in to the PAE switch, but it looks like that document specifically refers to Windows Server, not XP.

Just for fun I will put in the PAE switch to see if anything happens.

My initial problem of not being able to get the 3GB switch to work in CS3 has still not been solved.

Jim
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 22, 2007
I put in the /PAE switch in XP just for fun, and there doesn’t seem to be any difference.
J
jamesfcole
Apr 29, 2007
I thought I would bring this topic forward again and see if I am still the only person unable to make the 3GB switch work in CS3.

It still works as advertised on my PC in CS2.

I did try the PAE switch, and as noted by another poster, it did nothing.

Jim
J
Junkers
Apr 30, 2007
Is it possible that this problem could be related to the BIOS or a specific motherboard?
J
jamesfcole
Apr 30, 2007
It is possible that it is a combination processor/Motherboard/CS3 issue. As I have stated, my E6600 Dual Core/Asus system works fine with the 3GB switch and CS2.

I was hoping Adam might get a chance, as he suggested, to test this on his E6600/Asus system with XP and see it it works for him. So far, his two Intel processors have worked on Intel boards.

I’ll have to see if he posts something in the next days.

Jim
KC
Kent_C
Apr 30, 2007
I followed the instructions here:

< http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&a mp;id=8018966&linkID=9243182>

First I added the /PAE /3GB and I didn’t get any option on the startup screen during reboot. Then I deleted the /PAE and it worked after I used just the /3GB (adding it to the end of the boot.ini string after fastdetect – ie…..fastdetect /3GB

The instructions say:
"During startup, select the 3GB option. If you do not select the 3GB option, the system will default to the 2GB total memory setting."

…. but during start up I got a screen asking to chose between ‘Windows Media Center’ or ‘Windows Media Center’ 🙂 Since I kept the original string and added the second string with the switch I chose the 2nd one and it worked. I’m guessing if I delete the original string I wouldn’t get the startup screen option, but haven’t tried that yet.

Prior to switch: PS 1712
After the switch: PS 2651

I have Intel 975X, Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.40GHz 1066MHz FSB 4MB cache,non-HT), 4GB RAM, Windows XP Media Center Edition, 32bit.

Didn’t do any ‘timed’ experiment before, but I ran a 3MB file through Smart Sharpen – usually gives me a ‘progress bar’ for a few seconds and no progress bar at all, virtually instanteous.

Thanking those that posted….
RB
Robert_Barnett
Apr 30, 2007
I believe either at the start of this or some other similar thread there were a few talking about how they couldn’t get the 3GB switch to work on an AMD processor powered computer. So it could very well be CPU/Motherboard dependant.

I can’t say, I choose not to force things to do things that they weren’t designed to do. If Windows and Photoshop were designed to use 3GB of RAM they would without taking a hammer to them. But, I want stability over nearly everything else.

Robert
H
Ho
Apr 30, 2007
Agreed, Robert. The success of the 3G switch is very dependent on the motherboard manufacturer’s implementation of the BIOS and chipset. Mine works (Tyan K8E) flawlessly or I would not be using it. The last thing I need is instability when trying to beat a deadline.

As for the present topic, I will be very interested to see what the resolution is. I have no interest or need to use CS3 at the present, and if there is *any* question about the app’s ability to utilize extended RAM I will be using CS2 for the foreseeable future.
J
jamesfcole
May 1, 2007
Robert,

The 3GB switch apparently works on one poster’s Athlon 64, so at least certain AMD processors utilize this function.

The use of the 3GB switch in my homebuilt Core 2 Duo (overclocked) system was perfectly stable and worked as advertised with CS2.

I still haven’t got a verification of a working 3GB switch and CS3 from someone using the E6600 processor with an Asus P5B Deluxe MB.

It is a pity I can’t seem to get this function to work in CS3 as I regularly work with 1-2 GB image files.

Jim
RB
Robert_Barnett
May 2, 2007
Sounds likes it could be more a motherboard issue than a CPU one. I have only built and used one AMD system and it had an ASUS motherboard. I had nothing but problems with it and compatibility both at the CPU level and the motherboard and bios level (VIA chipset also was a mess). I will never touch AMD or ASUS again after that. Worst system I ever had.

Robert
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
May 2, 2007
I use the /3GB switch with an AMD Athlon 64X2 4600+ on an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MB with 4GB of memory, without problems. The MB has an nVidia chipset, not VIA.
J
jamesfcole
May 2, 2007
Robert,

My Asus board works perfectly fine with the 3GB switch and CS2.

I have both CS2 and CS3 installed. CS2 sees the extra memory, CS3 does not.

It appears that something has changed in the utilization of the 3GB switch within CS3 to make it ignore extra memory with my specific processor/MB combination or possibly the karma in my office.

I appear to be the only one that cannot get this to work in CS3.

Jim
JS
John_Schwaller
May 2, 2007
I also use an AMD Athlon 64×2 on an Asus A8N-SLI Premium….also nVidia. /3GB seems to work like a champ.

I have some other problems with CS3 (Extended) such as the Shadow Illuminator filter not working properly and CS3 not seeming to properly release memory (leak???), but /3GB works.

I had to limit memory to ~2944 GB, probably due to video card (Parhelia). I did not try to optimize (enlarge) that number, it work, I was happy.

John
BS
Brian_Sparano
May 8, 2007
Jim

You are not alone. I too have the same problem. I have 4gb of ram in my Intel Pent D 2 core machine, with XP pro SP2 (of course for some reason Windows only sees 3 of this, but that’s another conversation). I too use the /3gb switch in my boot.ini file, and I also was able to see the full 3gb or so in CS2 and only 1.7gb or so in CS3. Both versions of PS are currently installed.

It does not appear to be MB or processor specific.

Brian
J
jamesfcole
May 8, 2007
Brian,

Sorry to hear you are having the same problem, but I’m glad I’m not the olny one seeing this.

I was reading some threads yesterday and got the idea that it might be related to the CS3 preferences file since I think it pulled info from the CS2 file during install. I am not sure if this is correct, but I am going to try deleting the CS3 one and then have CS3 create a new one when it opens to see if that works. Won’t have a chance to try that until later today, but I’ll post results here.

As to why your OS only sees three MB, my motherboard bios has a "memory remapping" option which needs to be turned on for the OS to see the 4GBs. Perhaps this is what is happening with you.

Jim
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 8, 2007
Something I learned this weekend, which suprised me, came via booting my system with the /3GB switch enabled while only have 2GB of memory installed. I normally have 4GB installed, hence use of the switch, but while waiting to have a bad module replaced I am only running with 2GB. What I saw were two things:

1. CS2 reported 2661MB available…obviously incorrect, but nice to know I can create more memory by removing some! ha! This left me to assume that the /3GB switch doesn’t really allow PS to "see" more memory but rather just seems to tell it to add 1GB to what it otherwise assumes to be available. I suppose PS doesn’t really detect the memory itself but simply is told by the O/S what amount of memory remains unused.

2. I saw very odd peaks of the PS temp file on the scratch disk when running a benchmark that resizes the image up to 500MB in size. While the temp file normally reached a peak size of 3.3GB, there were a few occasions when the benchmark was excessively slow by an order of 3x or 4x slower, and I happened to notice those times were when the temp file swelled up to 7.5GB or more…one case being 9GB. I never saw that occur once I made the correction to disable the /3GB switch. Coincidence? Maybe. But, I’d not be too surprised to find this behavior connected to PS thinking it had more memory available than was truly the case.

Daryl
J
jamesfcole
May 10, 2007
I tried deleting and re-creating the CS3 preferences file and still no luck getting CS3 to utilize the 3 GB switch.

Running out of ideas.

Daryl, your report of CS2 seing memory that wasn’t there was interesting.

Jim
KS
Kenneth_Seidman
May 10, 2007
Here’s a long shot but it won’t take long to try… add the /userva=nnn switch after the /3 GB switch. Maybe try nnn = 2800 to start out with.

I use this switch on my XP Home Edition Dell Dimension 8400 for ‘fine tuning’.

The following Microsoft article is one reference to it:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316739/EN-US/>

There is at least one newer Microsoft reference (in a Feb 2007 article I think) that indicates the userva switch works with both XP Pro and Home now (not just servers).

Ken
J
jamesfcole
May 10, 2007
Kenneth,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already use that switch to no avail.

Here’s my boot.ini in case anyone can see some small boo boo that I have overlooked. This is the boot.ini that works fine with CS2. I have both options available during bootup (3GB switch or without. I added two blank lines between options to make it easier to read here.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /3GB /USERVA=2900 /fastdetect
/NoExecute=Optin

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=Optin

Thanks,
Jim
J
Junkers
May 11, 2007
Of the multiple variables affecting memory useage:

1. it seems that the problem is probably not related to Processor type
2. the various threads are unclear about the SPECIFIC motherboard brand and model.
3. the various interations of PAE and 3Gb Switch instrucions in the Boot.ini file seem to show no consistent pattern.
4. the problems seem to be not related to XP vs. Vista.

In my view, the most likely sources of the problem may be related to:
a) the specific bios version of a motherboard manufacturer
b) the brand of memory being used.

The more specific the threads are about the hardware the more easily it may be to isolate the problem to one item.
JS
John_Schwaller
May 11, 2007
Here is what I use on my AMD Athlon 2×64 (just the /3GB line listed):

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB" /fastdetect /PAE /3GB /USERVA=2944 /NoExecute=OptIn

I don’t know if the sequence makes any difference. Also, it work with and without the /PAE, at least as far as CS3 "seeing" the memory.

John
BS
Brian_Sparano
May 11, 2007
Intestingly enough, for some reason, my machine now sees the same ram (1700mb in both versions of PS) The elitegroup people claim that it is OK to only see 3 of the 4gb of ram in POST (which I don’t believe) but I know that windows sees 3gb of it with no problem.

oh this is a pain in the a$$.

I seriously doubt it is a memory brand issue with anyone though. Motherboard _MAYBE_ but even that’s not likely. be sure to check and see if windows even sees the 3gb if you are using the /3gb switch (system properties under my computer)

eh, just one of those numerous adobe bugs I guess. add it to the list.
I
ID._Awe
May 11, 2007
Jim:

If this is fact how your boot.ini is configured:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 3GB Switch" /3GB /USERVA=2900 /fastdetect
/NoExecute=Optin

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=Optin

This would not be correct because you are essentially telling the same installation of Windows to behave in two different ways. No wonder it doesn’t work. Delete the second line. And change your USERVA=2944.
H
Ho
May 11, 2007
I think that ini configuration should present the user with a menu choice at boot just as if it were a multi-boot system.
I
ID._Awe
May 11, 2007
It seems from a previous post that they were not getting a menu choice, in either case it would be better to simplify the boot.ini so that the OS will do one thing.

Worth a try.
J
jamesfcole
May 11, 2007
ID Awe,

Ho was right. The two lines in my boot.ini provide me with a choice at boot up as to whether to engage the 3 GB switch or not. This example of having an option at bootup is a good idea in case the 3 GB switch causes some severe error. Next boot, you can open XP without it. I wouldn’t operate without the choice. This is documented in numerous places. Remember, that it works fine with CS2.

I will try changing the Userva setting, and report back. I have low hopes that it will make any difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim
J
jamesfcole
May 11, 2007
Brian,

Windows System Properties reports 2 GB

During POST, the system sees all 4 GB

CPU-Z application in Windows sees all 4 GB

I don’t think that the 32-bit Windows OS can see more that 2 GB although other Windows applications can if they are designed to use it like Photoshop and CPU-Z.

Interesting that now you have lost the extra memory in CS2. Do you have a "Memory Remap" option in your bios that allows the system to read the extra memory. If I do not have this option engaged in my Asus bios, the system does not see the extra 2GB.

Jim
I
ID._Awe
May 11, 2007
james: do you have the latest BIOS for your board?
J
jamesfcole
May 12, 2007
ID Awe,

I am on Bios 0804. I think there have been two revisions since then. My system is perfectly stable and I hate to upgrade unless absolutely necessary. I killed a MB with an Asus bios upgrade once. I’m a litle gun shy.

Jim
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
May 12, 2007
Brian,

If you have 4GB of RAM yet only 3GB is reported by the BIOS, then check to see if your BIOS has a Memory Remap Enable option. The AMI BIOS of my ASUS motherboard was reporting an odd value of 3200MB when I replaced a couple sticks of bad RAM some time ago. I don’t recall if it was during the period of waiting for the new RAM that I also updated the BIOS, but somehow that setting was disabled. Once I enabled it, the proper 4GB of memory was seen and reported by the BIOS.

Regards,

Daryl
BS
Brian_Sparano
May 17, 2007
yea, no memory remap option. but the "speedfan" software that I have that monitors the whole system (from within windows) actually sees all of the dimms (4x1gb) so i know they are at least functioning.

hmmm

strange

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections