Photoshop Preferences corrputed by network?

AB
Posted By
Andreas_Boehmer
Apr 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi guys,

Almost every single day my Photoshop CS2 hangs on the "Reading Text Global Preferences" which forces me to delete the Photoshop preferences.

I work off a laptop and the error seems to occur always when I move from one location (e.g. home) to another (e.g. work). Once I deleted the preferences files, my Photoshop starts and works fine until the moment that I move with my laptop to a different location. This is fairly annoying in the long run, as I don’t even attempt changing the preferences anymore, they get deleted by the next day anyway.

Now I am wondering whether the corruption of the Photoshop preferences could have something to do with the fact that I move to a different network? I don’t see why it should be happening, as the preferences are not stored on the network, but I cannot explain the problem any other way?

I’d be interested to hear if other people encountered a similar phenomenon?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Apr 18, 2007
there’s a faq section on the global resources problem. check that out. if that fails to help, you can set your prefrences the way you want, back them up, then just restore them when they get corrupted.
AB
Andreas_Boehmer
Apr 18, 2007
Yeah, I checked that section already, but it only seems to cover information about how to fix the corrupted file (deleting it), not how it actually is being created in first place.

Backup is a good idea, but in a way it is still annoying having to restore the file again and again. I really want to find out what is causing the problem.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Apr 18, 2007
Just to cover the basics, are you always careful to explicitly close Photoshop before powering off the computer?
AB
Andreas_Boehmer
Apr 18, 2007
Yes, I always close it correctly. So there is no reason for the file to be corrupt.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 18, 2007
are you changing the file somehow that’s NOT through photoshop’s file> open menu?
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Apr 18, 2007
Maybe it’s somehow related to the network. It may help isolate something if you unplug the network cable, power down, power up. If PS still hangs, it’s looking for something on the network.
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 18, 2007
Andreas. Are you opening/saving files across the network(s)?

If so, Photoshop is attempting to populate the "recent files" list. when it can’t find them, it hangs.

The program doesn’t support saving across networks unless you have the suite and run Version Cue. So you’ll need to copy the files to your HD and copy them back after you’ve worked on them.

Another thing that could be happening is that PS is looking for a network printer, which will also confuse it when it "wakes up" in a different house!

Hope some of this helps.

Chris.
P
Phosphor
Apr 18, 2007
I second what Chris just posted about the "recent Files" and the network printer business.

Somewhere aropund here there are instructions about fixing the network printer problem.

As for the "Recent Files" thing, if you insist on saving them to a networked drive, perhaps setting the # of recent files in Photoshop’s preferences to "0"?
AB
Andreas_Boehmer
Apr 18, 2007
Aaahhh… yes, that could explain it. I do open files across the network (and I do use a networked printer).

I will try setting recent files to 0 to see if that works.

Cheers!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections