RS
Posted By
ruby s
Apr 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’ve just bought a new pc which comes with Vista Home Basic and wonder if I can install & use CS3? I see that the system requirement is Vista Home Premium as stated here: < http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/systemreqs />. I’m using a Compaq Presario SR5073CF with an AMD Athalon Athlon 64×2 Dual Core 4200+2.2GHz, 3GB RAM and GeForce 7300LE.

I use CS2 at work to design materials and thought of getting CS3 for home use (trying to decide if it’s worth the extra extra moolah), though I’m more familiar with Elements.

I’m quite a computer ‘idiot’ when it comes to technical details, so do keep the technical jargon to a minimum. Sorry for the posting earlier in the Photoshop Lounge. Got a bit lost!

Thank you in advance and have a fabulous day!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

WJ
William_Jay
Apr 16, 2007
I’ve swictched all my computers over to home premium vista, and I have CS2 and CS3 on them, I havent had any problems what so ever. The only problems I have encountered were with 3rd party hardware, i.e printers, memory card readers etc. but even all of mine have been updated and fixed so far.
KH
Kirsten_Harris
Apr 16, 2007
The CS3 standalone applications, Design and Web Suites are not supported under Vista Home Basic.
DM
dave_milbut
Apr 17, 2007
can you tell us what specifically is missing from basic kirsten? (seeing as how you’re at adobe, i’m hoping you can fill us in and we can pass it along here in the forums.)

thanks, dave
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 17, 2007
Interestingly enough, in Microsoft’s Windows Vista Product Guide, their descriptions for WIndows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, and Ultimate all state And like all editions of Windows Vista, it is compatible with the widest range of software, devices, and services that you use and trust.

Hmmm…I guess Adobe wanted to prove Microsoft wrong, by designing CS3 as compatible only with pricier versions of the Vista O/S?

I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it is unfortunate that anyone who buys a computer that might come only with Vista Home Basic would find that in addition to buying Photoshop CS3, they must also pay extra to upgrade their O/S. Good thing CS3 Extended doesn’t require Vista Ultimate, as both are overpriced.

Daryl
CC
Charlie_Choc
Apr 17, 2007
Vista Home Basic is the only edition that doesn’t have Windows Media Center included; maybe without it it’s missing some codecs or other features CS3 needs (just a guess).

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
RB
Robert_Barnett
Apr 17, 2007
There is a reason PS CS3 won’t work with Vista Home Basic, just like there is a reason CS2 needs XP or higher. It may not be something the user can see but it is there. More happens with OS upgrades than just pretty things for the user to look at.

If anyone is at fault it is Microsoft for putting out so many versions of Vista. Most of which only lead to problems, mis-understandings, customer frustration and customer anger. There should have been at most 2 versions of Vista. Both should have been capable of running the same software and hardware. Just keep some of the pretty things to the higher end version.

Also, when you buy cheap this is what happens. Owning a computer and upgrading your computer is never a cheap thing to do. Either deal with it or go back to an abacus.

Robert
DM
Don_McCahill
Apr 18, 2007
Either deal with it or go back to an abacus.

But which abacus? The nice one with 12 rows of pearl beads, or the cheap one with 8 rows of wooden beads. And I hear they have a new model coming out next year that comes with a carrying case and a slide rule built in. Maybe I should wait for that (or at least until the free upgrade period starts).
RB
Robert_Barnett
Apr 18, 2007
🙂

Robert
CD
Carol_Deuel
Apr 22, 2007
There is a reason PS CS3 won’t work with Vista Home Basic, just like there is a reason CS2 needs XP or higher.

I’m here reading all these posts on CS3 and trying to learn if my W2K OS can handle it. CS2 runs just fine on W2k with I gig ram, so I’m at a loss at the above statement. On the other hand, I’m thinking that W2K may not be enough for this new version. Can anyone offer some sound advice, and I don’t mean, upgrade to Vista… that would entail getting a new computer.
CD
Carol_Deuel
Apr 22, 2007
There is a reason PS CS3 won’t work with Vista Home Basic, just like there is a reason CS2 needs XP or higher.

I’m here reading all these posts on CS3, trying to determine if my W2K OS can handle it. CS2 runs just fine on W2k with I gig ram, so I’m at a loss at the above statement. On the other hand, I’m thinking that W2K may not be enough for this new version. Can anyone offer sound advice on minumum OS, computer, etc? Upgrade to Vista is not an option just now… that would entail getting a new computer.
JS
John_Spragens
Apr 22, 2007
Word seems to be that it just doesn’t work with W2K.
< http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm ?forumid=72&catid=626&threadid=1224312&highlight _key=y&keyword1=windows%202000>

The beta installer wouldn’t let me install on W2K, and I assume that’s also the case with the shipping version.
BL
Bob Levine
Apr 22, 2007
Want kind of advice do you want? It’s pretty clear that Adobe has dumped Win2K support just as they have for earlier version of Mac OSX.

It’s just not possible to test that many operating systems and Win2K is now 8 years old.

Bob
RB
Robert_Barnett
Apr 22, 2007
Bob’s reasons for the dropping of older OSes including Windows 2000 is not correct. Adobe would have no problems testing with older OSes. The reason these older OSes get dropped is quite simple. While many may not see a lot of eye candy changes to an OS, Microsoft puts most of the changes in the core of the OS and these core improvements can be major ones. Often times allowing developers like Adobe to do things that either weren’t possible with the previous OS or doable with a lot of work and effort with a very strong possibility of an unstable program being the result. I always found it funny that people would harp on the fact that if you look at the version number for Windows 2000 and Windows XP Windows 2000 showed something like
5.0 and Windows XP showed 5.01 and so people assumed that because we were
talking about a minior point difference in version numbers that XP had very little done to it. That is so incorrect. Remember what is said about assuming things.

What it boils down to is that Windows XP and Windows Vista allow Adobe and others to do things with their applications that either can’t be done with an older OS version or could be with a lot of work with the result being an unstable hacked implementation. Neither of those things being a good solution for Adobe or their users.

To put it more bluntly. Update your OS or get left behind!

Robert
CD
Carol_Deuel
Apr 29, 2007
John Spragens, thank you for the link to the discussion on W2K and CS3. It’s always informative to read different opinions. W2K is a stable system and runs all the CS2 programs well, so I guess I’ll stick with it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections