GR
Posted By
Guenter_Riegler
Apr 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I typically first crop, then edit (levels, brightness/contrast, etc.) images imported from a digital camera as jpg images. When I then use the "save as" command to save the edited image, Photoshop offers "Image options" from low to maximum, and "Format options".

I would like to save the cropped/edited image in the original resolution with the remaining original pixels, without re-sampling of the jpg image, and without interpolating between pixels. For example, If I start with an image 2112 pix wide x 2816 pix high, and crop to 2/3 width and 1/2 height, then I want to get the original 1408 pix width and 1408 pix height

Q1: How does one do that?
Q2: To e-mail images, I would like to combine/average pixels so that adjacent 2 pixels in width and in height are combined (704 x 704 in my example). How does one do such a factor-of-4 compression?

Guenter R.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
Apr 15, 2007
If your camera is capable of it, use RAW not JPG to shoot. Do not save as JPG until the very end. Use PSD.

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 15, 2007
I would like to save the cropped/edited image in the original resolution with the remaining original pixels, without re-sampling of the jpg image, and without interpolating between pixels

Because Jpeg is a "lossy" format, you are going to lose so much of the original quality every time you save (even at maximum quality).

Follow Bob’s advice and shoot RAW.
DR
Donald_Reese
Apr 16, 2007
Also, try to crop in camera as much as possible. each given camera has only so many pixels available to form your image. if you waste valuable pixels on needless info, you are merely reducing your cameras capability. imagine your camera has only 20 pixels total,and you do a head shot filling only half the frame.you have basically wasted half the pixels with poor cropping. not the greatest analogy,but hopefully you get the drift.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 16, 2007
Let’s answer the question that was asked, instead of telling him what he should be doing. (Yes, ideally he should be shooting RAW, but maybe his camera doesn’t support that, or he has some other reason. And yes, he should crop in-camera, but maybe he has a reason for not doing so. For example, maybe he’s not the photographer.)

For the cropping to 1408×1408 px using original pixels from a 2112×2816 px original, I would suggest the following: use the Rectangular Marquee tool, drag out an arbitrary rectangle; click on Select > Transform Selection; in the first item in the options bar (nine squares arranged as a square) click on the upper left square; set dimensions 1408 px x 1408 px. Move the marquee to where it needs to be, making sure that all the figures in the options bar are integer pixels. Click the checkmark (OK) button.

An alternative approach would be to change the background image to an ordinary layer; then change the canvas size to 1408 px x 1408 px; then to move the image with the hand tool to frame it best in the canvas.

There will no doubt be other ideas posted, given that there are at least three ways to do anything in PS.
GR
Guenter_Riegler
Apr 17, 2007
To: Michael Sullivan, Robert, Chris and Donald:

Thank you for your recommendations – I’ll experiment with them.

In addition to Photoshop CS, I sometimes use Thumbsplus which exlicitely gives options to save in original resolution or specific levels of subsampling horizontally and/or vertically. I was wondering whether PS has that explicit, easy option.

Guenter

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections