IA
Posted By
itsupport.alex
Apr 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I work for a newspaper, using Windows XP and each week have the responsibility of archiving the data off the system to DVD. This includes the Quark Xpress pages, adverts, pictures and graphics. Many of the pix we receive are JPGs, these are resaved as TIFFs after the production dept have carried out all or certain tasks.

Ie resizing, colour correction, cropping and sometimes creating cut outs with paths.

Additionally, before I copy the pix to DVD I use the browser feature in Photoshop to display all the pix. Once they are all displayed I work through the list and delete the following, to save space on the DVD:
– JPGs which are the same or a similar size to the TIFFs – JPGs which are for example 90cm+ wide, where the TIFF is at least 20cm wide – Very poor quality JPGs where the TIFF is far superior, regardless of the original size.

Eventually, these pix will be indexed through IPTC into a database. I fear that retaining multiple similar versions will bloat the size of the database and utilise far too much hard disk space for the pix.

My problem is that sorting through the pix takes at least an hour each week and I need to find a faster solution for processing the pix.

We have also started using LZW compression on the TIFFs in the Photoshop to reduce the file sizes. Presume there are no disadvantages to using this type of compression?

Any suggestions/comments would be gratefully received.

Regards

Alex

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Apr 14, 2007
No problem with LZW compression on 8-bit/ch images. Don’t use it on 16-bit images, though — it will increase the file size.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections