LT
Posted By
Laron_Thompson
Apr 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Due to a recent hard disk failure (on a 5 year old system) I may purchase a new computer. If I purchase a new system with Windows Vista OS can I re-install using the old disks until CS3 is available? The last full program purchase was PS 7. Then CS1 and CS2 were upgrades. I found no reference to this situation in other resources. Another option is to avoid Vista for now using XP Pro and upgrade the OS later, but that has drawbacks as well. Thanks for your assistance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BL
Bob Levine
Apr 11, 2007
Just install CS2. You’ll be asked for a CD to verify your eligibility for upgrades. Swap the CS2 and CS CDs and when prompted, swap them back.

Bob
AS
Anne_Sloan
Aug 5, 2007
A question along the same lines: I am purchasing a new computer, however, it is a Mac. My current computer is a Del. Do I have to purchase new photoshop CS2 software for the Mac or can I just reinstall my current software on my new computer? Thanks
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 6, 2007
You’ll need to upgrade to CS3 directly from Adobe. Call them and tell them you need a crossplatform upgrade.

Bob
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 6, 2007
Parallels runs Windows under OSX…Bootcamp allows you to boot a Mac into Windows. In either case you need a full version of Windows.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 6, 2007
if it’s an intel mac you could probably run cs2 under emulation software or dual boot. i think they have something called "paralells" or something that runs windows programs.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 6, 2007
he’s got a full version of windows… if he’s disabling the old machine…

gotta think about getting a mini mac to play with… 🙂
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 6, 2007
he’s got a full version of windows… if he’s disabling the old machine…

Not if it’s an OEM version. It’s legally tied to the old machine.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 6, 2007
mayhap sonny boy, mayhap. that’s an assumption though… 😉
I
ID._Awe
Aug 6, 2007
Robert: I have an OEM XP2 running on two computers. It is easier to get around than you think. I’ve heard that people have the same OEM running on every computer in their home.

PS: I am only running the second OEM until I can upgrade some software later this year to run under Vista64.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 6, 2007
Re-read what I said. I could have worded it better but I did include the word legally which was my only real consideration.

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections