B
Posted By
bob733
Apr 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I put this post is the cs3 forumk,but then thought many of the pros may not be reading that one all the time, so here it is in the CS2 post

Hi,
I had such great response to a noise filter problem (thanks again Michael) that I thought I would try to get help on the next problem I am having.

I scanned in a picture (200dpi) and the fore arrn of the subject is white white white. I wanted to make it look more natural and am having the devils own time doing it. I have tried several techniques that I read and watched but nothing works really well.

Also, I tried to change the gray sweater to green using verious techniques (hue/saturation, collor fill, color replacemnt) but once again, the solution is JUST beyound my grasp.

If someone could point me to guidelines as how to correct these two issues, I am sure I would learn yet one more technique in the bag of tricks.

I put the picture up on pixcentral as < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1OTC3BYawbVLZJUK0z sgcFlc1RaJL>

Thanks in advance and I will look first thing in the am for any help (unless I wake up at 3am and cant wait).

Bob

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John Joslin
Apr 6, 2007
Bob

Having blacked out 80% of the picture (for reasons best known to yourself) you could at least eliminate all that wasted space (and post a thumbnail from Pixentral).

The arm and sleeve are totally washed out by overexposure (probably due to badly used flash). This means there are hardly any pixels to modify in those areas. The sleeve could be colourised a bit with a soft brush set to low opacity and "Color" mode. The arm could be boosted up a bit with Levels and Hue/Saturation adjustments, followed by Reduce Noise.

Another possibility would be to to clone from a good area – but you’ve blacked out any likely parts.

But it’ll never look quite right.
B
bob733
Apr 6, 2007
Thanks John,

I masked out most of the picture (as I have done before) just to hide any identies. I know you must think that is overkill, but I really thought there was enough there to work with.

Also, I am not super familiar familiar with pixcentral and didnt know about posting thumbnails. But I will check into how to do this.

But your comments are appreciated and I will go back to the drawing board and keep trying you comments.

Bob
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Apr 6, 2007
Bob,

I appreciate that you think about peoples privacy, and about ways to protect that, but I must say that you exaggerate totally.

You seem to think that posting even small crops of images with people is grossly endangering them.

Where I come from there’s definitely something like portrait rights and privacy, but the web, and it’s world wide scope and reach, isn’t considered as something that throws us to the lions.

Don’t hide so much. We’re not voodoo doctors.

I hope you interpret this as positive criticism, if not I apologise, but I had to get this off my chest.

Rob
B
bob733
Apr 6, 2007
I do Rob (interpret your comments as positive criticism). I have just heard so much about identity theft, and so many other bad things, I guess I am paranoid. Some of it comes from my vocational past (I am sure), and I really do not think there are bad people on this great forum.

I could not explain my problems (a picture is worth a thousand words) and yet, the individuals in the picture do not know I am putting this up on a public forum on the web. So I just tried to get the problem resolved by going down the middle stream (put a sanitized picture up on the web). I honestly thought there would be enough there to provide some guidence.

So, please excuse my parinoia, condone my honest desire to learn and please do not feel you have to apologise for anything. I love constructive critism and am one of the few people you will meet/talk/write to that more than welcomes another persons perspective on my actions etc.

Bob
G
grannysplayhouse
Apr 8, 2007
Bob,
I think it is courteous of you to think of others feelings.. some do NOT want their images on the internet…

selected forearm.. used a skin tone from her cheek (R-230, G-194, B-174.. new layer filled with that color.. linear burn for that layer at about 33% Opacity….
Sweater same way except used green 255 and linear burn was only about 18%

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1xsK9NsGzWHTYCVf6q iOQEZ5FjrKOx0> Granny
JJ
John Joslin
Apr 8, 2007
Good effort but it still looks un-natural compared to the other skin.

That’s about where I got when I gave up.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections