L
Posted By
LJM
Mar 20, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anybody else here run Photoshop via a Limited User XP account (ie. not Administrator) and get sick of having to reboot the system when they install new fonts?

You have to login as Admin to install new fonts of course, but they’re only visible to the Admin account, not to Limited User accounts already logged in. You’d think relogging those LU accounts would allow them (and therefore Photoshop) to see the new fonts but no, you have to reboot the whole system.

….unless somebody knows of a solution to this.

Everything is the same, nothing is worthwhile
the world is senseless, and so is my sigfile.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TW
Toobi Won Kenobi
Mar 20, 2007
"LJM" wrote in message
Does anybody else here run Photoshop via a Limited User XP account (ie. not Administrator) and get sick of having to reboot the system when they install new fonts?

You have to login as Admin to install new fonts of course, but they’re only visible to the Admin account, not to Limited User accounts already logged in. You’d think relogging those LU accounts would allow them (and therefore Photoshop) to see the new fonts but no, you have to reboot the whole system.

…unless somebody knows of a solution to this.

Try this, Photoshop checks the directories containing fonts for updates in the background. Make sure the type tool is the front tool (the background checks are more aggressive then), switch over to Explorer and put the font into the Adobe common fonts folder location (Program Files\Common\Adobe\Fonts), then switch back to Photoshop. Depending on the number of fonts copied there, it can take a minute for the updates to all be processed and the menu itself updated.

TWK
L
LJM
Mar 21, 2007
One may as well begin with Toobi’s letter to adobe.photoshop.windows…
Try this, Photoshop checks the directories containing fonts for updates in the background. Make sure the type tool is the front tool (the background checks are more aggressive then), switch over to Explorer and put the font into the Adobe common fonts folder location (Program Files\Common\Adobe\Fonts), then switch back to Photoshop. Depending on the number of fonts copied there, it can take a minute for the updates to all be processed and the menu itself updated.

Oh what an excellent tip! I can drop fonts in that directory and Photoshop finds them when it’s restarted. I can even access that directory from a Limited User account, so no need to login as Admin, no need to install new fonts globally, no need to reboot, excellent!

Thank you so much! =)

TW
Toobi Won Kenobi
Mar 21, 2007
"LJM" wrote in message

Oh what an excellent tip! I can drop fonts in that directory and Photoshop finds them when it’s restarted. I can even access that directory from a Limited User account, so no need to login as Admin, no need to install new fonts globally, no need to reboot, excellent!
Thank you so much! =)

You’re welcome, if you want your fonts to be available in other apps though, you will need to install them to the Windows\Fonts directory. Just a thought, do you shouldn’t have to restart PS to get this to work.

TWK
L
LJM
Mar 21, 2007
"LJM" wrote in message

Thank you so much! =)

You’re welcome, if you want your fonts to be available in other apps though, you will need to install them to the Windows\Fonts directory.

Indeed. =) It still bugs me that they show up in Windows/Fonts for Admin after being installed, but not for Limited User unless the system is rebooted. I only noticed this problem because a PS design project I’m working on is demanding lots of new fonts. So this is a good compromise. It helps me work faster. =)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections