SR
Posted By
Schraven_Robert
Jun 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just been reading dpreviews on the nikon D70 and the word back focus is mentioned quite a lot. Could any one explain the meaning of it to me? Robert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 27, 2004
Robert

As I understand back focus it is when the camera is indicating proper focus and in fact it is actually focusing behind the chip. I am told that this was a problem in the pre released versions of the camera but that no evil ones ever got to North America. I tested both my camera and a fiends’ for this. He claimed that his had a back focus problem. Both cameras proved be focus correctly and the fault of my friends camera was in his misunderstanding of how the system worked.

Grant
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 27, 2004
As I understand it, it means a camera/lens combination that auto focuses a few inches (or feet if you are really unlucky) back from where it should. The DPreview 10D forums are also full of references to it, as there is some evidence that some copies of this camera suffered from this problem.
Susan S
SR
Schraven_Robert
Jun 27, 2004
Susan and Grant,

thank you both for the explanation.
I also read that the images the D70 produces are "soft" as in not razor sharp. Judging by the images Grant produces daily I assume that is a non-issue.

Robert
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 27, 2004
Robert

I am off to Toronto in a minute so I will try to be short. The D70 does give "soft" images right out of the box, that is compared to the Rebel but not any softer than the 10D. This leads me to believe Nikon has adapted to the preference of the pros over the amateur for the D70. You can bounce the sharpness up in camera or elect to do it selectively in your photo editor. The other thing the images are soft as they appear on the monitor but are razor sharp when they are printed. When I checked out the Rebel against the D70 the rebel images did look sharper but he colours from the D70 were more saturated, so you win on the apples and loose on the oranges. The facts are these differences are very minor, and easily adjusted in camera or in post processing.

Grant
J
jhjl1
Jun 27, 2004
With the Rebel and I would think with the D70 you can turn down (off) the sharpening and lower the saturation, contrast, color tone with custom parameters which gives you full control when converting your RAW file to Tiff.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Robert

I am off to Toronto in a minute so I will try to be short. The D70
does
give "soft" images right out of the box, that is compared to the
Rebel but
not any softer than the 10D. This leads me to believe Nikon has
adapted to
the preference of the pros over the amateur for the D70. You can
bounce the
sharpness up in camera or elect to do it selectively in your photo
editor.
The other thing the images are soft as they appear on the monitor but
are
razor sharp when they are printed. When I checked out the Rebel
against
the D70 the rebel images did look sharper but he colours from the D70
were
more saturated, so you win on the apples and loose on the oranges.
The
facts are these differences are very minor, and easily adjusted in
camera or
in post processing.

Grant

PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 27, 2004
Hmmm…back focus…sounds like the same problem those of have that need to where glasses. So does back focus mean the lens is near-sighted or far-sighted?

Patti
CS
Cliff_Skidmore
Jun 27, 2004
Backfocus is where you focus on an object, but the camera actually records the focus point slightly beyond where
you are focused. Front focus is the opposite – slightly
closer.

There is a test chart that can be used with any camera at:

<http://md.co.za/d70>

Cliff
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 28, 2004
James

You certainly can adjust the features but I am talking right out of the box. I like to keep everything as neutral as possible because each situation is slightly different. I did try the sharpening and it worked wonderful until it tried to photograph a light house, the horizon of the water had a very slight tell tale sharpen bloom and you do know how hard they are to get rid of. So now it is neutral and let elements earn its keep.

G.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections