RA
Posted By
ross_alexander
Mar 14, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When CS2 came out Adobe included a new shortcut; Ctrl A and I to get to the image size dialogue window. Well i have been using it for a while now and then after i wiped my computer and did a reinstall the shortcut no longer works.

I have tried reinstalling the CS2 Premium suite again but it didn’t work. Please, anyone got any ideas why this doesn’t work, i used it all the time before?!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Mar 14, 2007
Ross, did you maybe mean Ctrl-Alt-I? That has long been the standard shortcut for the image size dialog.
RA
ross_alexander
Mar 14, 2007
Darn it, yeah i did. I have been using Ctrl Alt + I though and it hasn’t been working even after reinstalling CS2 a few times. Are there some preferences i need to change? The correct shortcut shows up under the menu but it still doesn’t work.

Sorry for the typo confusion)
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Mar 14, 2007
Just a guess, but maybe one of your Ctrl or Alt keys is kaput. I’ve seen that happen to a keyboard, and it fooled me for a while. Have you tried using the other set?
RA
ross_alexander
Mar 14, 2007
I can use all sorts of other functions with the ctrl key such as ctrl+o to open an image or ctrl+w to close an image. I tried the other ctrl key anyway but that didn’t work. I’m stumped!
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah, but did you try the other Alt key?

Have you installed any new programs that load on startup and could be intercepting the Ctrl-Alt or Ctrl-Alt-I key combination? Over and over, gurus here say that WindowBlinds causes problems with PS, so make sure you’re not running that one. You might try running msconfig from a command prompt and disabling all startup programs. Then reboot and see what happens. If that brings no joy, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to invoke Task Manager and note the running tasks. Could be that some badware is getting started from an entry in the registry.

Or, from Control Panel, double-click Regional and Language Options, click on the Languages tab, then the Details button. The default language entry should be "English (United States) – US" or whatever is appropriate for wherever you live (Great Britain, perhaps?) Wherever, you could try adding another language to see whether that clears up the problem.

After installing Windows this time, could it be that you switched from a PS2 keyboard to a USB keyboard? Something in a dim memory cell tells me that could be capable of causing such problems.

If all that checks out Ok, I would begin to suspect a corrupted Windows CD or a corrupted CS2 CD, but I find it odd that neither gave you an error on install. Since you already reinstalled CS2, you might try doing a repair install of XP on the chance that some system file is corrupt.

This is a really long shot, but it may be possible that a bad disk drive or RAM card could be responsible. If you have two or more identical RAM cards, swap them around. If they are not identical, they probably should be. To check the disk drive, run the manufacturer’s read test.
RA
ross_alexander
Apr 6, 2007
I’ve already disabled as many startup programs as i want to and the ones that i do have when starting up windows are the same as when i didn’t have this problem.

My language settings are ok

My keyboard is not separate as i am using a laptop

I’ve tried some of what you have said and the problem is still there. In the end i just assigned ctrl alt + # to bring up the image resize instead. Similarly though the flatten image command that i customised to be ctrl + # only works sometimes, not all the time??!!

I’ll have to try out some other things you said when i have some time, but so far no joy

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections