GD
Posted By
Grant_Dixon
Jun 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I came a cross the Shanghai Technique I have no idea why they call it that. In is strongest form it is like dusting all the contrast lines on an image with black. If you selectively use it can give the illusion of sharpening. In the image that is linked the left hand is all Shanghaied, the middle image is the raw form, and the right image only has the centre area Shanghaied

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/SE1.jpg

The procedure is a bit fussy but here is how to do it:

1. Make a duplicate layer of your image
2. Hold down the Control Key and press the letter "I" to invert the image
3. Set the blend mode to linear dodge. Image will
turn white
4. Use the Gaussian blur filter slide to bring forth
some outlines from the white.
5. Make a blank new layer (just click on the new
layer icon at the bottom of the layer palette.
6. Hold down the Alt key and Click on the Layers menu
and scroll down to merge visible.
7. Go to Image/Adjust/Desaturate (In Elements, Enhance/Adjust Color/Remove Color)
8. Go to image/adjust brightness/contrast and up the
contrast to make the outline blacker. (Enhance/Brightness/Contrast)
9. Change blend mode to linear burn.
10. Delete the background copy layer (the
one just above the original.

Thanks to "digitalnuts" for this

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LK
Leen_Koper
Jun 25, 2004
Looks interesting. Gonna give it a try.

Leen
SR
Steven_Reno
Jun 25, 2004
Grant

I tried this method without sucess. For one thing when I do step 6 the layers are merged into one thus making steps 9 and 10 impossible. Also I see no difference holding down the alt key or not [step 6] What am I doing wrong? I’m using PSE 2. Thanks.

Steve
R
RobertHJones
Jun 25, 2004
Steven,

In Step 6, you have to press and hold the alt key while clicking on the layer menu item — don’t release the mouse button but drag the cursor over the merge visible menu item and then release the button then the alt key.

Step 6 is the same as just using the keyboard shortcut "ctrl-alt-shift-E" which I personally find easier to do.

This shortcut copies an image of the merged visible layers into the active blank layer without deleting the other visible layers. If you look at the history palette or the undo menu option, you’ll see this is called "stamp visible".

Bob
R
RobertHJones
Jun 25, 2004
Grant,

I have never heard of this being called the shanghai technique before. I have been using a variation of this technique for a couple of years. My version differs in that I try to use nondestructive techniques where possible (adjustment layer for contrast instead of direct application to layer, for example, and don’t delete layers but just make them invisible). This allows me to easily go back and tweak to my hearts desire until I get the exact effect I want.

I don’t think of this so much as a sharpening technique as an edge enhancement. Of course, anything that increases contrast at the edges can increase perceived sharpness. But, this is a secondary effect for me. I use this frequently as an overlay on a photo art layer for adding selected edge detail. I’ll usually selective mask or erase detail as desired for the image.

Bob
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 25, 2004
Bob

Thanks for the tip on the adjustment layers. While I did say to delete the intermediate layer I just turn it off Then again it is of no value from this point on.

Et Al

I have refined the process slightly to remove two steps. Still destructive, although you can add the non destructive pars if you want

1. Make a duplicate layer of your image
2. Hold down the Control Key and press the letter "I" to invert the image
3. Set the blend mode to linear dodge. Image will
turn white
4. Use the Gaussian blur filter slide to bring forth
some outlines from the white.
5. Hold down the Alt key and Click on the Layers menu
and scroll down to merge visible.
6. Go to Image/Adjust/Desaturate (In Elements, Enhance/Adjust Color/Remove Color)
7. Go to image/adjust brightness/contrast and up the
contrast to make the outline blacker. (Enhance/Brightness/Contrast)
8. Change blend mode to linear burn.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections