What does "Doc: n.nn/n.nn" on the bottom status bar mean?

T
Posted By
TomBrooklyn
Mar 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I put up a photo in PS7 and it shows on the bottom Doc: 6.47/6.47M. What does that mean? Photo was taken with a 3MP camera and a good 30% cropped off. So how can the file be 6.47MB if thats what that means?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Mar 14, 2007
Tom,

Beyond your question here, you seem to also have a misunderstanding about the megapixel rating of your camera and the related storage size a given image will occupy. So, here’s just a bit more info:

An RGB color image has a 24-bit (3 byte) per pixel color depth. So a 1×1 pixel image requires 3 bytes to store the data. A 3 megapixel camera provides approximately 3 million pixels of image data, thus each image requires 3 million x 3 bytes, or 9 million bytes to store the data. As 1 kilobyte (KB) is defined as 1024 bytes and 1 megabyte (MB) is 1024 KB, then your camera produces an image whose file size is 9,000,000 bytes x (1KB/1024 bytes) x (1MB/1024KB), or 8.58 MB. Take 30% off that, and you’ve got 6.15 MB. So, yes, I’d say you’re right in the ballpark with the file size you observed, and you either took of a little less (~26.5%) than you think or your camera produces a usable image of slightly more (~3.1MP) than 3 megapixels.

Regards,

Daryl
T
TomBrooklyn
Mar 14, 2007
Hi Daryl,
Thanks for that very clear and informative explanation. My estimate of how much I cropped was just ballpark, so that file size seems to fall right in line.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections