LL
Posted By
Lane_Lester
Jun 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I used the trial version, everything worked fine. But now that I’ve purchased the "real thing," the Welcome screen and the Recipes are broken.

Here is the error I get when I try to use the Browse Files button on the Welcome screen:

Cannot fine ‘ file:///H:/Program%20Files/Adobe/Photoshop%20Elements%202/HT MLPalettes/Welcome/PlayBuiltInCommand(showFileBrowserPalette)’. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct.

The other functions or any recipes generate a similar error. I first did a custom install, but then I went back and did the default install to make sure the problem wasn’t caused by my failure to include something. The path above leads to an index.html file that has this in it:

<PlayBuiltInCommand(showFileBrowserPalette)>

Can you suggest a solution?

Lane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
Lane,

In the past, it was suggested to completely uninstall Elements’ tryout version (and the currently installed one), delete the directory in which is lies, and then reinstall.

However, make sure the version you bought is in a safe place (that is, if it’s a download, that the downloaded file isn’t in the Photoshop Elements).

Ray
LL
Lane_Lester
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks, Raymond. I’m pretty sure the instructions led me to uninstall the trial version first. I’ve reinstalled the commercial CD twice now, and this second time I not only deleted the directory, but I also reinstalled in a different partition. No good.

If the error message were indicating an old directory, I would suspect a bad registry entry, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

I suppose that, before doing an OS reinstall (I don’t like to think how many hours it would take to get everything back in), I could uninstall PE and do an edit of the registry to remove any references.

Lane
MS
Mark_Sand
Jun 25, 2004
Lane,
I have the same problem that started up one day for no apparant reason. In addition to the Welcome screen errors, when I try to access anything from the How To pallete I get the error:
Cannot find file …/Recipes/Categories/GetHelpID(some 20-digit number)

Do a forum search on "playbuiltincommand" to see what I and other users have reported on this problem.

I tried running Norton antivirus (no problems) and did a total uninstall and reinstall of PHE2 several times. I tried other suggestions as suggested in the forums. I called Adobe help and they had no solution.

Also take a look at the forum topic "Recipes in PSE2 Quit working after W2000 SP4 update… or?" <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb3c1e5>
One user said he corrected the problem by reverting to SP3 and then reapplying SP4. I haven’t tried this because I’m wary of tampering with the operating system.

Mark
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 25, 2004
Norton can be a problem with Adobe products -they don’t tend to play nicely with each other. I can’t remember whether this was one of the problems that Norton can cause, but I do know that some issues can be fixed by temporarily (or permanently!) removing or disabling all Norton (and other antivirus) products while installing Elements.

Susan S
LL
Lane_Lester
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the further thoughts, even if they don’t include a certain answer. I don’t use a virus program, since my ISP provides virus filtering, plus I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which doesn’t execute attachments unless I tell it to.

Thanks for the Search suggestion; I tried some other terms without success.

I’ve wondered about these Hotfixes that I’ve allowing MS to install in my Win 2000 system. In fact, I’ve backed out of all of them in hopes of fixing PE. I may have to resort to a reinstall of Win2000 w/SP2 (that’s the most stable Win OS I’ve ever had). But I’ve got =so= much stuff installed! 🙁

Lane

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections