MacOS X: Photoshop (Elements) will not allow import from scanner.

SB
Posted By
Sleazy_Breezy
Jun 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all,

I’m running both Photoshop Elements 2.0 and Photoshop CS on MacOS X 10.3.4. I also have a Canon LiDE 30 flatbed scanner. There are two user accounts on the computer; one with admin priviledges, and one without. The ScanGear import plugin supplied by Canon works perfectly in both Photoshop programs when I’m logged in as admin, but I get the following error message under the non-admin account:

Cannot communicate with scanner.
Cable may be disconnected.
Check status.
Scanner driver will be closed.

I had this problem last year, and remember the solution has something to do with changing permissions on a file (or folder). When Panther was released in October I did a clean install and reinstalled all my programs fresh – of course, I forgot to write down the solution to this scanner-sharing issue.

Can anyone refresh my memory?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
Have you visited Apple’s board? Since the problem is related to a scanner, rather than Photoshop Elements itself, I suspect you might have better luck over there.

Ray
SB
Sleazy_Breezy
Jun 24, 2004
Thank you, it sure wouldn’t hurt to cross-post, but I vaguely remember the solution having to do more with Photoshop Elements permissions than with the scanner driver itself.

Any other ideas?
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
I just wish Barbara would be here… She knows everything… I just had my Mac for 4 months now…

Ray
J
jhjl1
Jun 24, 2004
Ray. I have been saving this quote from you for the appropriate time. I just can’t resist any longer. Ray said "Remember, I’m on a Mac, so… everything is always easy!". LOL- just a little good natured fun Ray.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
"Ray" wrote in message
I just wish Barbara would be here… She knows everything… I just
had my
Mac for 4 months now…

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 24, 2004
Ray. I have been saving this quote from you for the appropriate time. I just can’t resist any longer. Ray said "Remember, I’m on a Mac, so… everything is always easy!". LOL- just a little good natured fun Ray.

Yeah… I guess I might have said that. It’s true. But was it here? I don’t think so…

Only, you got to give the man a chance… It took me several years to know Windows inside out, as I did in my "previous life" And I only had the Mac for 3 months and 3 weeks… It’s not fair! 😉

(and I know, Life isn’t always fair… I just look in the mirror, every morning, since June the 2nd, to get a reminder of that)

Problem is… I would try a whole lot of things, if it were on my computer. However, I can’t suggest stuff that could do more harm than good.

You know, on a Mac, you can actually reinstall the complete OS, with all the previously installed software still running afterwards, no reinstallation required? Exception is Palm Desktop. All the others, PSE, Office, Corel, etc., they all work without reinstalling anything, after you’ve reinstall Mac OS. I tried this myself, so I know it works!

….try this on a Win machine…

🙂

That’s why I say : "Everything is easier on a Mac..!"

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections