LL
Posted By
Lynn_Lang
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I haven’t been able to find the answers to these questions in the forums, reviews or Adobe websites, so I am hoping to get them here.
I have been using PhotoImpact 8 but I am considering purchasing Elements2.
1. Whenever I have to reinstall PI (which happens frequently), I have to again download Help files, User guide, Photo album and Gif animator, Fonts, Stamp objects, Frames, materials, textures, object libraries (8), component designers(12), samples, etc. Is this the case with Elements2, or are all these features included in the installation CD?
2. Does Elements2 recognize UFO’s?
3. Does Elements2 become corrupt and have to be reinstalled often? (I have Win XP).
4. Anyone familiar with both programs…can you give me some pros and cons for Elements2 vs. Ulead PhotoImpact? I hate to switch to a new program and find similar frustrations.
Thanks, Lynn

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 21, 2004
I have been using Photoshop Elements for nearly two years now, and I have never had to reinstall the software. Occasionally, some users find that some of the options start acting strangely, or quit functioning altogether. There is a simple solution of simply deleting the preferences and restarting Elements. This process will re-establish the default preferences, and in most instances will clear up any problems. Personally, I have never even had to do this. I have found Photoshop Elements to be extremely stable. As far as I know, everything you need is on the CD. Sorry, but I don’t know what you are referring to when you mention UFOs.
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 21, 2004
Lynn,

I agree with Jim (though I’m using Elements 1). I’ve never needed to reinstall on the present XP machine or the previous Win 98. There are some downloadable features that you may or may not want (I’ve never tried any) but once downloaded and kept in a separate folder after installing you would not have to download again should a reinstall be needed. I have reset preferences but it only takes about 10 seconds to do. My reason for resetting was to get back to the defaults after a learning period to start fresh.

Just remember that a clean install with nothing running including virus scanners and firewalls is the prescription for a trouble free Elements.

You will find all the help you need on this forum.

Afraid I don’t know what a UFO is either.

Bob

Edit: There are no program updates to download.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 21, 2004
Lynn,

I have been using Elements for about 18 months and the only re-install I have ever needed to do was when I bought my new Mac. I have found Elements to be very reliable and its a great package to work with.

Sorry I don’t know what a UFO is either.

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 21, 2004
Lynn,

Adobe offers a fully functional, 30 days demo that you can download. The best advice would… Go ahead, install this 30 days demo, and stick around for your questions, we’ll all be here to answer them.

Ray
TF
Terri_Foster
Jun 21, 2004
Lynn,

As Ray says, download the demo and give her a whirl. I’ve only had to re install once. I actually didn’t need to as it turns out but all the default stuff and help files installed again without any problem. Most people put all their extra stuff that they’ve downloaded into a folder outside of the program and use the Preset Manager within PSE to navigate to what they need. The program loads faster and more importantly there’s no danger of losing your stuff. The on-line community is very active so it’s easy to get help, tons of ready made styles, brushes etc to be found on the Exchange and the web, and tons of tutorials are on-line. UFOs? Do you mean stuff from other programs? PSP brushes will work in PSE but uncertain if anything else will. There is just so much stuff out there for Photoshop I’ve never given it much though or tried it. Oh, and making brushes is a breeze. PSE uses you system’s fonts so you are in no danger of losing those. Corruptions are easily fixed hold Shift Alt and Delete keys at same time then click okay. No big deal.

Terri
RH
Ron Hunter
Jun 22, 2004
wrote:
I haven’t been able to find the answers to these questions in the forums, reviews or Adobe websites, so I am hoping to get them here.
I have been using PhotoImpact 8 but I am considering purchasing Elements2.
1. Whenever I have to reinstall PI (which happens frequently), I have to again download Help files, User guide, Photo album and Gif animator, Fonts, Stamp objects, Frames, materials, textures, object libraries (8), component designers(12), samples, etc. Is this the case with Elements2, or are all these features included in the installation CD?
3. Does Elements2 become corrupt and have to be reinstalled often? (I have Win XP).
4. Anyone familiar with both programs…can you give me some pros and cons for Elements2 vs. Ulead PhotoImpact? I hate to switch to a new program and find similar frustrations.
Thanks, Lynn

Lynn,
I have never had to reinstall anything except in cases where an install of an update went wrong somehow. If you frequently have to reinstall software, you should have someone check your system for hardware problems. This is NOT a normal situation for computers running WinXP.

I have had no problems with PSE 2 in the few months I have used it.
JE
John_Elftmann
Jun 22, 2004
1. Whenever I have to reinstall PI (which happens frequently),
I have to again download Help files, User guide, Photo album and Gif animator, Fonts, Stamp objects, Frames, materials, textures, object libraries (8), component designers(12), samples, etc. Is this the case with Elements2, or are all these features included in the installation CD?

I have both, and still use both. Actually, I use PhotoShop Elements (PSE), PhotoImpact, and Fireworks regularly. Each does somethings better than the other. I don’t think PhotoImpact is as memory efficient as the other two. I use PhotoImpact when implementing a lot of effects; Fireworks is better for web work; and use PSE because the memory management is better than PhotoImpact and some its color management controls are a little better. I’m still learning & evaluating how color management works with PhotoImpact.

As for downloading, PhotoShop Elements (PSE) occasionally downloads updates, but not to the extent that PhotoImpact does upon installation. I can’t speak to how PSE behaves upon reinstallation as I’ve never done it. But, I would expect it to need to download all the patches and updates to make it current. Note that PSE does not come with all of the extras that PhotoImpact does, so it’s not an apples to apples comparison of what’s getting downloaded.

No. Very few programs other than Ulead’s products recognize UFOs (Ulead File for Objects).

No. I don’t have have many problems with PhotoImpact becoming corrupt, either (I think I’ve reinstalled it once). If you’re having a lot of problems, it sounds like you may need a good registry cleaner or a reinstallation of Windows XP (doesn’t that sound like fun? 🙂

I’ve been using PhotoImpact since version 3, and PSE since 2. I use PhotoImpact more than I use PSE. PhotoImpact has more included extras (stamps, text effects, etc.), and I think is much easier to learn how to use. PSE has a wider installation base and is probably easier to find user to user help for (such as this newsgroup).

PhotoImpact has a real help file, PSE uses HTML help. I hate HTML help files.

Also, if I remember correctly, PSE doesn’t have a built-in means of doing batch processing while PhotoImpact does.

Disclaimer: I’m a lot more familiar with PhotoImpact than Photoshop Elements. But, I do think that PhotoImpact is easier to learn.

John
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 22, 2004
Although Photoshop Elements is programmed to check for updates, the common practice is to go into the preferences and set the frequency to "Never". There have not be in any updates to the program. Even when Photoshop Elements indicates that it is downloading updates, nothing, in fact, is being downloaded because there is nothing new or additional that needs to be added. It seems that Elements is complete as provided on the installation CD. It might be well to put out that Elements is more of a basic image editor. As such, it probably will not contain some of the bells and whistles you might be accustomed to in other programs. I don’t know anything about the other program you are using. But those of us who have become accustomed to using Elements find that it pretty well meets our image editing needs.
LL
Lynn_Lang
Jun 22, 2004
Thank you all for the helpful replies! John, your experience with both programs was especially enlightening. I think I will try the 30 day download of PSE before I give up on PhotoImpact.
Lynn
RH
Ron Hunter
Jun 23, 2004
wrote:

Although Photoshop Elements is programmed to check for updates, the common practice is to go into the preferences and set the frequency to "Never". There have not be in any updates to the program. Even when Photoshop Elements indicates that it is downloading updates, nothing, in fact, is being downloaded because there is nothing new or additional that needs to be added. It seems that Elements is complete as provided on the installation CD. It might be well to put out that Elements is more of a basic image editor. As such, it probably will not contain some of the bells and whistles you might be accustomed to in other programs. I don’t know anything about the other program you are using. But those of us who have become accustomed to using Elements find that it pretty well meets our image editing needs.

I have watched PSE2 do at least two updates. I don’t know exactly what is being updated, but it IS downloading something. It would be nice if Adobe would send along a readme file that would explain the changes.
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Jun 26, 2004
PSE2 does have a high learning curve, but with a book or two and the myriad tutorials online (do a Google search), it’s not HARD to learn, just time consuming. It is definitely worth the effort. PSE2 is a marvelous program.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections