JT
Posted By
Jay_Taulor
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I purchased my Canon EOS 10D, it came with Photo Element 2.0. I installed the software without any problems. However, when I start the program, it begin its process of loading, but when it begins too read "Reading Fonts" the Photo Element window vanishes from the screen.

I’m running Windows XP Professional with 512MB of memory. I’m also running Adobe Acrobate 6.0 Pro. Any help as too what will correct this problem will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 21, 2004
This error is most often the result of either a) having too many fonts installed, in which case Elements just "chokes", or b) you have a font that’s corrupt.

If you have more than 150 to 200 fonts in your Windows font folder, first try moving some of them to a different folder. Launch Elements and see if the problem has cleared.

If moving fonts doesn’t help, or if you don’t have an overabundance in the first place, look for one that’s corrupt. You can usually do this fairly quickly by first moving half the fonts to another folder and starting Elements. If it loads OK, check the other half. If you run into trouble, then start halving again. It won’t take long before you can isolate the bad one.
JT
Jay_Taulor
Jun 21, 2004
Beth,

I moved several of the fonts. The program now makes it past the "Reading Fonts" stage, but it then vanishes from the screen. Any suggestions to what it could be now.

Thanks
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 21, 2004
I have 1245 fonts in my Windows folder and I have no problems with Elements. What exactly is suppose to happen if you have too many fonts.

Grant
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Jun 21, 2004
Grant,

I remember that one of the things one did to speed up Windows 98 was to keep the number of fonts below 500. I found this quote:

According to Microsoft, "You can install a maximum of approximately 1,000 TrueType fonts in Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium. The exact number of TrueType fonts you can install varies, and depends on the length of the TrueType font names and file names." I couldn’t find limits for Windows 2000 and XP and I guess it is not an issue with these operating systems – or is much less of one.

There are some fonts that Windows must have. Here’s a good source for that information:

<http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec080402.html>

I’d say that if you aren’t having any problems leave it alone.

Bob
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 21, 2004
I know this isn’t going to help, but quite a while ago I remember reading some discussion about a particular font that was causing a lot of problems. But…. I can remember what font that was.

Later:
Was it something like "Wing Dings"?
BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 21, 2004
So where is it stopping now?

And, Grant, some people don’t have any trouble at all, regardless of the number of fonts they have on their computer. However, when somebody reports an error at "reading fonts", removing some and/or checking for corrupt fonts are merely the logical things to look at. If you get the number down to 150 to 200, you can eliminate a font overload and go on to another idea.
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 22, 2004
The solution to your problem could not be easier. Package up that Canon EOS 10D and send it to my snail-mail address. I’ll give you the second instruction when the camera arrives. 😉
JT
Jay_Taulor
Jun 22, 2004
HAHA….I’ll keep the camera and send you the software since I can not for the life of me get this program to run.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections