Posted By
samc
Feb 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This may seem like a dim question but here goes- I am using Photoshop Version 7

Say I need to create a basic logo comprising of 4 rounded rectangles, I would presumably use the rounded rectangle tool and select the shape layers option on the toolbar.

I would then go ahead and create 3 more layers to add my other 3 rounded rectangles. Now in a tutorial I have it says if I need to apply a drop shadow to each of my rectangles I would need to rasterize each shape and once rasterized I would not be able to move or resize the shape, but this does not seem to be the case, I can do all these things even if I do or don’t rasterize.

I’m confused, when would I need to use the rasterize command, it seems pointless – or have I indeed missed the point (durrrrr)

Any info greatly appreciated

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

TW
Toobi Won Kenobi
Feb 26, 2007
"samc" wrote in message

Say I need to create a basic logo comprising of 4 rounded rectangles, I would presumably use the rounded rectangle tool and select the shape layers option on the toolbar.

I would then go ahead and create 3 more layers to add my other 3 rounded rectangles. Now in a tutorial I have it says if I need to apply a drop shadow to each of my rectangles I would need to rasterize each shape and once rasterized I would not be able to move or resize the shape, but this does not seem to be the case, I can do all these things even if I do or don’t rasterize.

I’m confused, when would I need to use the rasterize command, it seems pointless – or have I indeed missed the point (durrrrr)

S,
If you are using shape layers, these are actually vector masks that masks a colour, pattern or other fill directly inside PS. When you apply a drop shadow, etc., you are applying a style to the layer and as such should not need rasterizing, as you have discovered.
TWK
S
samc
Feb 26, 2007
On 26 Feb, 17:43, "Toobi Won Kenobi" wrote:
"samc" wrote in message

S,
If you are using shape layers, these are actually vector masks that masks a colour, pattern or other fill directly inside PS. When you apply a drop shadow, etc., you are applying a style to the layer and as such should not need rasterizing, as you have discovered.
TWK- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

thank you very much for your help – I thought I was going crazy!
TW
Toobi Won Kenobi
Feb 26, 2007
"samc" wrote in message
On 26 Feb, 17:43, "Toobi Won Kenobi" wrote:
"samc" wrote in message

S,
If you are using shape layers, these are actually vector masks that masks a
colour, pattern or other fill directly inside PS. When you apply a drop shadow, etc., you are applying a style to the layer and as such should not
need rasterizing, as you have discovered.
TWK- Hide quoted text –

– Show quoted text –

thank you very much for your help – I thought I was going crazy!

S,
Not going crazy, just that some tutorials can make you feel that way.;)

TWK

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections