BK
Posted By
Barb_K
Jun 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Anyone else receive a mailer from Adobe to upgrade from PSE 2 to Photoshop CS for $169 and receive a free book "The Photoshop Show" starring Russell Brown if you upgrade by 7/15?? As I have a Canon Powershot G3 and shoot mostly in RAW format, it seems like a wise choice considering at one point Adobe sold the raw converter alone for $99. I currently use Canon’s utility for that process. I also use Photoshop Album and this would allow me to catalog my originals as I do now along with the edits.

Can anyone comment on the learning curve going from PSE to CS? I’m sure it has many more features than I would need but the workflow improvements sound enticing.

Barb

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
jhjl1
Jun 17, 2004
I didn’t receive that but Adobe now has an offer going through 12/2005 for Canon Camera owners. The upgrade from Elements to CS is $299.00.. http://www.adobe.com/store/products/special.jhtml?id=catCano n

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Anyone else receive a mailer from Adobe to upgrade from PSE 2 to
Photoshop CS for $169 and receive a free book "The Photoshop Show" starring Russell Brown if you upgrade by 7/15?? As I have a Canon Powershot G3 and shoot mostly in RAW format, it seems like a wise choice considering at one point Adobe sold the raw converter alone for $99. I currently use Canon’s utility for that process. I also use Photoshop Album and this would allow me to catalog my originals as I do now along with the edits.
Can anyone comment on the learning curve going from PSE to CS? I’m
sure it has many more features than I would need but the workflow improvements sound enticing.
Barb
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 17, 2004
If you are comfortable using Photoshop Elements, you should find the transition to Photoshop CS quite straightforward. Many of the tools work exactly the same. Obviously, you will have a host of new features to learn how to use, but if they are offering a book by Russel Brown you should be able to get up to speed rather quickly. He is very knowledgeable.

A couple of the features that I really like in Photoshop CS are the Shadow/Highlight control and the photo filters. The healing brush comes in handy as well sometimes. Fortunately, you don’t have to decide between the two as far as which one you have on your computer. I have both Photoshop CS and Photoshop Elements installed, and I use both of them.

I don’t know if you have ever used the Photomerge feature, but I find that for some reason Photoshop Elements does a better job of stitching the photos. At least that has been my experience.

All in all, I think that sounds like a very good offer, and I would take advantage of it if I were you.
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 17, 2004
I certainly hope to find such an offer in MY mailbox!!
Jun 17, 2004
I received one but I don’t think I will upgrade because CS needs Windows XP, I use Win 98 SE which is fine for Photoshop 7 which I have.

wrote in message
Anyone else receive a mailer from Adobe to upgrade from PSE 2 to Photoshop
CS for $169 and receive a free book "The Photoshop Show" starring Russell Brown if you upgrade by 7/15?? As I have a Canon Powershot G3 and shoot mostly in RAW format, it seems like a wise choice considering at one point Adobe sold the raw converter alone for $99. I currently use Canon’s utility for that process. I also use Photoshop Album and this would allow me to catalog my originals as I do now along with the edits.
Can anyone comment on the learning curve going from PSE to CS? I’m sure it
has many more features than I would need but the workflow improvements sound enticing.
Barb
AD
Applied_Digital
Jun 17, 2004
Barb,

Was this an e-mail offer or a snail mail offer?

JCC
BK
Barb_K
Jun 17, 2004
JCC-

Got it in the good old snail-mail yesterday.

-Barb
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 17, 2004
Hmmm…..I just paid $169 (well….$158 actually) to upgrade from PS 7 to PS CS. Elements to CS for $169 is one heckuva deal! (BTW, I got PS 7 for $299 as a registered Elements owner)

Chuck
S
sam
Jun 18, 2004
Dear Catlady:

I am a newbie to this group. I have Elements, and XP, and would love to have this offer. If you would not mind, could you send it to me? I will be happy to send you a check for your trouble and cost of mailing.

Do let me know, please.

Innomid

Catlady wrote:
I received one but I don’t think I will upgrade because CS needs Windows XP, I use Win 98 SE which is fine for Photoshop 7 which I have.
wrote in message

Anyone else receive a mailer from Adobe to upgrade from PSE 2 to Photoshop

CS for $169 and receive a free book "The Photoshop Show" starring Russell Brown if you upgrade by 7/15?? As I have a Canon Powershot G3 and shoot mostly in RAW format, it seems like a wise choice considering at one point Adobe sold the raw converter alone for $99. I currently use Canon’s utility for that process. I also use Photoshop Album and this would allow me to catalog my originals as I do now along with the edits.

Can anyone comment on the learning curve going from PSE to CS? I’m sure it

has many more features than I would need but the workflow improvements sound enticing.

Barb

…………………………………………………… ….. Posted via TITANnews – Uncensored Newsgroups Access
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
-=Every Newsgroup – Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 18, 2004
Anymore info on that Barb? I’d like to call Adobe and tell them to make sure they send me the offer.
O
o3v3tz
Jun 18, 2004
I clicked on the link about Canon camera owners upgrading to CS that James provided back in message #1 and found the following statement on that web page

"Must own the Photoshop Elements that came bundled with your product in order to install this version of Photoshop CS software."

Our G5 did not come with Elements and I am running an Elements that I purchased separately (boxed retail). However, I do now have an Elements that came bundled with a scanner.

We are currently shooting jpegs with the G5 and Elements is adequate for what I have attempted. However, my understanding is that if we were to shoot raw format then we would need CS – am I correct on this?

Suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

BarbO
SS
Susan_S.
Jun 18, 2004
You don’t absolutely need CS to shoot RAW for a G series camera – Canon’s File Viewer utility will convert the shots -but it doesn’t allow you to change the settings much from those as shot, apart from white balance – it’s also very, very slow. CS raw converter gives much bettter control over exposure contrast and all the other settings – but (at least with the G3) the default conversions are very different from the Canon conversions – you have to tweak the settings, and in particular the white balance. However for difficult white balance , high contrast images and for recovering slightly blown highlights CS can be much better. If you run Windows I believe Breezebrowser will also convert G series RAW images – but as I’m on a Mac I haven’t been able to try it.
BK
Barb_K
Jun 18, 2004
I just tried the link that Adobe had in the mailer to purchase on-line and there it says that you must have a registerd copy of Photoshop 7 or earlier and that the offer does not apply to Elements. Now I’m not sure why I got this. I did have Photoshop 5LE that I got with an earlier camera but don’t think I registered it. Time to make a phone call!

-Barb
BK
Barb_K
Jun 18, 2004
I just tried the link that Adobe had in the mailer to purchase on-line and there it says that you must have a registered copy of Photoshop 7 or earlier and that the offer does not apply to Elements.

Now I see that there is fine print on the offer that it is only valid for registered users of Photoshop NOT including Elements, Album, or LE.

I have no idea why this was mailed to me.

Sorry if I got anyone’s hopes up.

-Barb
O
o3v3tz
Jun 18, 2004
Susan S

Thanks very much for the information. I do run Windows.

I started with Elements and PS Album and I use a card reader for importing images to our PC. So I never installed the Canon camera software on our PC. But obviously I could install whatever Canon software would be beneficial.

Since I am still learning Elements and we are not yet shooting raw format, I think I will stay with Elements for now.

BarbO
BK
Barb_K
Jun 18, 2004
I called Adobe and while they don’t know why I got the mailer, they did offer me a companion upgrade from Elements to CS for $499.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections