PC
Posted By
Pete_Crosta
Dec 13, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have CS2 on Tiger (PB4). I recently clicked on a prompt to update Adobe Bridge. I did so and now EVERY ADOBE PRODUCT (Acrobat, Illustrator, Go Live, Photoshop, InDesign) all stopped launching1! I’m going crazy with panic! Every icon just bounces and stops. I have rebuilt permissions, tested and retested HD. What can be wrong?!?! Who do I call??? I’m frantically searching all of Adobe site for hours and coming up with nothing. Any clues? Any tips?? Should I reinstall the software? Will it retake my serial number? AAGGGHHH!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GP
Gary_Politzer
Dec 14, 2008
Well, for starters, you could have clicked the Support tab at the top of this page. There, a couple of clicks in, you would have found this link:

<http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 14, 2008
Have you Repaired Permissions and re-booted the computer since you updated Bridge?

Try running DiskWarrior to repair your Directory; and Cocktail (or equivalent) too.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 14, 2008
Pete,

If repairing permissions, and running DiskWarrior and Cocktail (or Onyx) haven’t corrected the problem, have you tried logging in as a new user?

Neil
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 14, 2008
I have logged in as new user and found the same thing happening. All CS2 programs show the splash screen for a second after launching and quit. The only application that shows a message is Acrobat which now states: Adobe Acrobat could not install correctly and must quit.

I don’t have Cocktail. I shall run Warrior (only ran Disk Utility).

Any further ideas???
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 14, 2008
Just concluded Disk Warrior (found much wrong) but no changes w/CS2 family of applications. Exact results for both User and New User.

Any further guidance?
B
Buko
Dec 14, 2008
Trash then reinstall CS2
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 14, 2008
I was hoping this would not be the outcome, but I guess the inevitable is now ahead of me. <sigh> I just hate to have to reinstall all the plug-ins and so forth. Thank you all for your help!!
B
Buko
Dec 14, 2008
3rd party Plugins should be in a separate folder.

the other thing is an Archive and Install of the OS. you just may end up doing both.
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 14, 2008
Oh, God, I hope it is not that extensive. This happened ONLY after I clicked on a Bridge update. Soured all my CS applications. Everything else on the PowerBook appears to be fine.
P
PShock
Dec 14, 2008
Pete –

I say just bite the bullet and do an Archive and Install. The same thing happened to me with CS2, but it was an Acrobat update that created all the havoc. Reinstalling the suite and trashing prefs did no good. Yes, the auto update in CS2 is THAT bad. I learned to never use it again and manually downloaded any updates and installed locally.

-phil
B
Buko
Dec 14, 2008
there should be no more updates for CS2, I’m surprised you waited this long to install it.
B
Bernie
Dec 14, 2008
Using OnyX, you could try reset or rebuild LaunchServices database.
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 15, 2008
Wow, I would be worried too…

Have you tried deactivating your anti-virus or Trojan horse blocker?
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 15, 2008
Believe it or not, Paul, I don’t have Norton (or any anti-virus) on this machine.

A new question emerges:::: I had to use PREVIEW to open the How to Uninstall.pdf file on the CS2 install disk. THIS IS THE HAIRY PART!! According to the explicit instructions I must TRANSFER product activation. Now I’m basically screwed as it asks to open ANY suite product choose Help>Transfer Activation. Okay, how can THAT happen when each component crashes????

I guess I’ll be calling Adobe Customer Service this morning. Something I was trying to avoid as my project was due this AM anyway. Damn, Murphy!
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 15, 2008
Pete,

Okay, how can THAT happen when each component crashes????

As you surmise, call Adobe customer service for this installation issue.

BTW, the only other thing that comes to mind (although unlikely, given your specific scenario) is one or more corrupted fonts. Or multiple activations on the same font. As I said, unlikely….but….

Neil
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 15, 2008
You know, sometimes I just HATE calling Tech Support. I just got off the phone w/a lady with a strong accent. Spent a good 10 minutes going over details. Afterward she tells me CS2 is unsupported and to come "here" for the help I need.

Needless-to-say, this is so frustrating. I will reinstall CS2 and cross my fingers that the serial number takes. I have a gut feeling it isn’t and that is why I came here asking in the first place w/my initial post … worried about re-installation (I’ve been down this path before).

I trashed everything Adobe I could find and am now loading the 4th CD. We’ll see what happens! :-\
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 15, 2008
Pete,

You know, sometimes I just HATE calling Tech Support.

If it is an installation issue that requires a product activation transfer, what does tech support expect us to do?

That said, try Adobe CUSTOMER support.

Neil
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 15, 2008
GOOD NEWS.

All is working again. I reinstalled using the original serial number and all is well. I did not have to bother with Customer Support this time. Maybe it is because I scoured by HD deleting everything that had to do w/Adobe before reinstalling? I don’t know, but I’m back in the driver’s seat again. Launched everything. Now I have to just start reinstalling things like the scanner driver, plug-ins purchased, etc.

Thank you ALL for your guidance and support!!! I suppose we can stamp this CASE CLOSED. 🙂

Pete
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2008
or can we?
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 15, 2008
Good news, Pete. Glad that it came to a good outcome.

…. Did you dare upgrading to the latest ? 😉

Paul
PC
Pete Crosta
Dec 15, 2008
I just cannot afford at this time to go up. I do not have thousands just sitting aside. I wish economic times were better. 🙁
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 15, 2008
Oh! I meant upgrading to the latest version of Bridge CS2! Joke of course!

BTW, I could resist the Mermaids songs, and I stuck with CS2 until last week. But when Adobe offered two suites for the price of one, I couldn’t resist and I sinned… Probably the share of Thurgovian blood running in my veins…

Cheers
Paul
B
Buko
Dec 15, 2008
I stuck with CS2 until last week. But when Adobe offered two suites for the price of one, I couldn’t resist

Huh?

the only time you would get CS3 and a free copy of CS4 is if you bought CS3 after CS4 was announced but had not shipped. That was not last week.
PS
Paul Schilliger
Dec 15, 2008
Huh?

the only time you would get CS3 and a free copy of CS4 is if you bought CS3 after CS4 was announced but had not shipped. That was not last week.

All right, I sinned three weeks ago when I ordered the CS3 suite with free CS4 upgrade. But I consumed last week only, when I got the CS4 package!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections