LK
Posted By
Leen_Koper
Jun 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yesterday I attended a few short photoshop seminars, took notes and this was the trick I tried today. It is a way to introduce B&W filter effects, like red and green filters in a very, very easy way.
Even I could understand it.

Open your image.
Create a duplicate layer.
Desaturate the layer -100%.
Set the layer mode to "color".
Activate the background in the layers menue.
Go to hue/saturation and play with the hue slider, make further smaller adjustments with the saturation slider.

You will be surprised about these effects of changing the tonal scale.

Leen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 15, 2004
Leen

This sounds a whole lot like something I ran into about two weeks ago

http://www.escrappers.com/gray.html

Grant
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 15, 2004
I saw a similar technique that I have been experimenting with.

Open image, create new hue/saturation layer, set mode to color. Create another new hue/saturation layer, slide the saturation control to the far left. Do all of your adjustments on the first, or middle hue/saturation layer.

I just did a quick comparison of the two different methods, and I might be wrong but I felt as though I had just a little more control using the method I have described here. However, either method produces some stunning results.
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 15, 2004
Jim’s method, which I got from the Russel Brown site (http://www.russellbrown.com/body.html and click on ‘Seeing in B&W’), is also what I use most often. Sometimes I’ll add a third layer and check ‘colorize’. This top layer, when hue and opacity have been adjusted, provides ‘toning’.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jun 15, 2004
Yes, John, that is the same place I learned of the technique. I haven’t tried the third layer as you described. But that sounds like an interesting idea.
SB
Stu_Bloom
Jun 15, 2004
Activate the background in the layers menue.

Go to hue/saturation and play with the hue slider, make further smaller adjustments with the saturation slider.

Methinks it would be better to activate a second duplicate layer than the background and make the hue changes on it. I NEVER make changes directly to the background layer.

I like this method for creating B&W:

1. Create a levels layer at the top of the layer stack. Don’t do anything with it.

2. Create a hue/saturation layer over the levels layer.

3. Go back to the levels layer and adjust the individual R G and B channels with the midtone slider. I find starting with R=0.4 and B=1.6 usually gets me pretty close, at least with skin tones; I then adjust G to taste, perhaps tweaking the R and B settings too.

4. For even more control over tone, use a curves layer instead of or in addition to the levels layer. (You obviously need either full PS or one of the Elements add-ons for this.)

(You obviously need to have either fulklk
SP
Stan Person
Jun 16, 2004
A similar technique I’ve used is to create a levels adjustment layer (leave it alone for now, just OK popup), then a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Crank the saturation all the way down on the hue/sat layer. Then go back to the levels layer and "fiddle" with the levels adjustments on each of the red, blue and green "channels".

Stan

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections