JB
Posted By
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Grant, your recent crop of photos for ‘Picture of the Day’ have been just terrific.

<http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/POD/index.html>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JC
Jane Carter
Jun 13, 2004
Hi Grant, I have been enjoying them too, the Twilight Train especially! Were you on a bridge for that one?
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 13, 2004
Jane, na, i loaned him my wings for that one ๐Ÿ˜‰

I too have been watching the POD on a daily basis. The last I think is quite heavenly.
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 13, 2004
We have entered into a whole new era with this digital photography! I still have to work on my brother and husband to get them to understand that you can take hundreds of photos and delete the bad ones and download the card and start anew.
I have a long way to go to get them to start using PSE, but that is my goal. My brother is very artistic and he would love it, I just have to work on the instructions. This is so much fun, the rest of the family(our kids) love it! They visit the forum and look at the photos, and someday I hope they will take part. I do realize that they are busy and not retired like we are, but the interest is there. So is the fun!
Jane
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 13, 2004
Thank you all for your comments on my POD Yes I purposely drop the "T" for no special reason. I am very pleased that so many are following the posts as this is something that I didn’t expect. That being said it does make me smile to know others are looking at the images.

It has been quite the learning experience. While I am still highly critical of my work I am relaxing my opinion on my own worth. Most days it is fun to do this project but there are days when I am tired and lazy, or down in the dumps, or just a plain frustrated, and then it seems like work.

I have managed this weekend to take my 500th photograph with my hateful Nikon that includes early test shots, the trip to Algonquin, and the POD. I am trying to shoot the same way as I do with my film cameras and so far so good. I have one image that I am very, very proud of and a number that I feel extremely good about and the rest well … non that I hate. While I see room for improvement in all of them I am getting to like my photos a little more.

I do highly recommend this type of project for every one as it, forced you to take more photographs, be more discriminating, and hones your eye to be sharply on the look out for shots.

Oh yes "Evening Train" Was shot from a walking bridge I was crossing to shoot something completely different. It was one of those "I was there at the right time". What did they say in the old days of press photography? "Success is f8 and be there." The sun was warm and low and the train, a very long one, was staring out and huffing and puffing away. I purposely tilted the camera to give the shot a dynamic feeling. Not sure which way to tilt the camera I did in fact take two photographs with the camera tilted one way and then the other. So much for the rule of make sure your horizons are level.

Grant

Home Pages : http://home.cogeco.ca/~grant.dixon/index.htm

Photo of the Day : http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/POD/

Challenge Pages: http://home.cogeco.ca/~challenge/

Creativity is so delicate a flower that praise tends to make it bloom, while discouragement often nips it in the bud. Any of us will put out more and better ideas if our efforts are appreciated.

Alexander Osborn (1888 – 1966)

"Jane Carter" wrote in message
: We have entered into a whole new era with this digital photography! : I still have to work on my brother and husband to get them to understand that you can take hundreds of photos and delete the bad ones and download the card and start anew.
: I have a long way to go to get them to start using PSE, but that is my goal.
: My brother is very artistic and he would love it, I just have to work on the instructions.
: This is so much fun, the rest of the family(our kids) love it! : They visit the forum and look at the photos, and someday I hope they will take part.
: I do realize that they are busy and not retired like we are, but the interest is there.
: So is the fun!
: Jane
RM
Ron_Minler
Jun 13, 2004
Beautiful photos Grant.
Ron
MR
Mark_Reibman
Jun 14, 2004
I’m really enjoying the photos from your POD project. I’m inspired to do one myself.

Best way to evaluate your work is to pretend it’s someone elses. I’ve done a few recordings of my music only to forget about them and when playing them years later and thinking it’s something else, I think ‘wow’ that’s beautiful and then I remember…oh, that’s mine. True objectivity.
JC
Jane Carter
Jun 14, 2004
The train photos! Where ever I have lived there have been great trains, but I never photoed them. The Jungle Train in Costa Rica, the United Fruit trains, the 100 car freights in old Florida that we got out of my fathers car and waved for long times. European trains,,,,,,sitting in the cabin as a youngster,,,,
Whoops I am dating myself again,,,,,,
just wish I had some of these great memories on film, oh well they are in my(and my brothers) heads.
Evening Train is great!
Jane
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 14, 2004
Your pictures are very… talkative… If that adjective can be applied to a picture. I mean, like, they speak for themselves.. ? I think you understand Grant. Congratulations!

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 14, 2004
Grant, very inspirational! I’m thinking of trying a project where I use only my ‘normal’ lens, manual focus and manual metering. Maybe I’ll learn how to do exposure correctly as you do!

Chuck
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 14, 2004
Chuck

First rule of exposure : There is no correct exposures just appropriate or inappropriate exposures.

Grant
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jun 14, 2004
Grant, got it. I will strive for appropriate exposures!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 14, 2004
less is better if not ‘appropriate’…in any kind of exposure ๐Ÿ˜‰
LM
Lou_M
Jun 14, 2004
Wow, the Centaura looks like twirling pyrotechnics. Nice job, Grant.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 14, 2004
Check out the latest !

Fab !
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 14, 2004
Certainly fits right in with the low key challenge, eh?
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 14, 2004
Dick

It wasn’t until today I realized the low key of this image was appropriate.

It is funny the expression "f8 and be there" struck a cord with me. Well the "be there" part did. Having your camera with you is so important. Keeping you eyes open is sort of the f8 part.

Last night the dogs need a walk. It was a warm nigh with the hint of a storm coming and I could have easily left my camera at home. After all it is dark. On the walk I heard music, a soft guitar and a sweet voice. There on a very dark porch was a young lady singing "Wild Wood flower" The Camera’s ISO was 1600, the lens was at 35 mm f 2.8 an shutter was 1/30 so I snapped off one.

Take your camera with you as the ad says "Never leave home without it"

Grant
PC
Pat_Coggin
Jun 14, 2004
Very well done…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 15, 2004
I still can’t get over the 1600 hand held ! What a great photograper you are !
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 15, 2004
Eerie Door

Because there are so many that are visiting my site I thought I had to explain this rather strange image.

For my self inflicted project "Photograph of the Day" better know as POD I set myself some rules. Of course rules are arbitrary but these were to create some discipline. One of the rules was minimum Photoshoping. Photoshop is restricted to, if it can be done in a darkroom then you can do it in the lightroom. So how did I get the eerie effect in this image. Well the photograph, highly under exposed, was taken very late at night and the illumination was by two equally place sodium vapour lights, or street lamps if you please. Then the image was "printed" as if it were taken at twilight and the colour was balanced for the white of the brick. The resulting double shadows and the muted colours was a direct result of the sodium lights. The grain and the high contrast were the result of highly under exposed the image. The final result in my mind marries the feeling of 1910’s three colour process and the gothic look of Film Noir.

http://www.cavesofice.org/~grant/POD/
B
bethC
Jun 15, 2004
Yes it does. I like it, reminds me of The Secret Garden. ๐Ÿ™‚
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 15, 2004
POD, when poted on the net, does it become… iPod… ? (internet picture of the day)… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ray
J
jhjl1
Jun 15, 2004
Ray it’s good to see you have that wonderful sense of humor still. Hope all is going well for you.

Have A Nice Day, ๐Ÿ™‚
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
"Ray" wrote in message
POD, when poted on the net, does it become… iPod… ? (internet
picture of
the day)… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ray
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 15, 2004
Slowly, but surely, I’m turning mad. I want some real food!!!!!!!!!! Not liquefied beef, tenderized chicken, or pureed potatoes…… I just want real, grown-ups food.

48 hours, that’s how long I still have to maintain my mental sanity… I’ll be allowed to eat soft food (pastas and alike) on Thursday evening. At 17h15, EST. And I’m permitting myself to eat in the living room, to watch tv on the big screen ๐Ÿ™‚

Ray
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 15, 2004
Huh! And here I thought that the door was somewhere in Erie county, and Grant had just misspelled it! ๐Ÿ™‚

(Oh Grant, you know I’m just kiddin’).
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jun 16, 2004
Ray,

Hang in there … just think of all the future meals ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Now … what is your first REAL meal going to be?

Wendy
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 16, 2004
The very first meal (soft food) is going to be Kraft Dinner. That’s tomorrow for dinner.

Once this is all over, excluding the little retainer wire I’m going to have to wear for the next 10 years, I’ll probably have a steak, or corn on a comb. I’ve been missing both of them for a long time!

Then, there are also Chinese delights, which I can’t have because I can’t quite cut anything with my teeth.

Or a pizza… With lots of cheese! cheese has been giving me trouble as well for a good 3 or 4 years now..

It’s nice to have so many options, I mean, I can’t be wrong with so many choices ๐Ÿ™‚

Ray
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 16, 2004
A shoot in Erie county? What a cool idea, lets do it! Ah …. where is Erie county ๐Ÿ™‚

Grant
PA
Patti Anderson
Jun 16, 2004
Grant, your eerie door reminds me of "The Secret Garden," one of my favorite classic books.

Love the b/w peony!

Patti
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 16, 2004
Grant: A shoot in Erie county? What a cool idea, lets do it! Ah ….
where is Erie county?

Lots of ’em. New York (Buffalo area), Ohio, Pennsylvania. Of course there’s always Fort Erie, Canada, but I think that’s in Welland county.
DG
David G House
Jun 16, 2004
Other Erie’s of Note….. Grant.. you maybe gonna get a Winnabego and Pick us all up on the way….

ยท Erie, Pennsylvania
ยท Erie, Michigan
ยท Erie, North Dakota
ยท Erie, Illinois ยท Erie, Kansas
ยท Erie, Colorado

David ๐Ÿ˜‰
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 16, 2004
Guess I best stick with the eerie Erie door in Dundas.

Grant
DS
Dick_Smith
Jun 17, 2004
David G House wrote:

ยท Erie, Michigan

David ๐Ÿ˜‰

David,

Did you mean Erie, MI was notable? or just that you noted there was one.

Hoping your not from there…….. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dick
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
Nope Dick I’m not.. I’m a Canuck from Ontario just liek Grant….

GO LEAFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 17, 2004
"David G House" wrote in message
:
: GO LEAFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

We were developing such a wonderful relationship until you uttered those dreaded words. I was born in Montreal so my blood is "rouges blanc et bleu" and my mantra is GO HABS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grant
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
LOL.. well Grant I can see that we shall continue the age old rivalry between Ont and Que…. Who was better, Henri Richard or Davey Keon…. Jacques Plante or Johnny Bower…. I am looking forward to the fun…. ๐Ÿ™‚

David…

P.S. BTW… you said "Go Habs"…. Ummmm where are they going???? ๐Ÿ˜‰
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 17, 2004
P.S. BTW… you said "Go Habs"…. Ummmm where are they going???? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Habs are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Please stand by. The team’s coach is working to solve this issue. Your call is important to us. Please stand by…

๐Ÿ˜‰

Ray
P.S. I’m with Grant… Go Habs Go!!!
….however, don’t go Golfing that soon in the season… !!
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
I could say the same about the Leafs this season Ray… they hit the links far too soon.. and I was really hopping that we would see once more a T.O. and Mtl Playoff Round (even if it wern’t for Lord Stanley)… It’s been far too long for either team to not be in the finals…. Like we say every year… WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!

David
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 17, 2004
Lately, the only way my beloved Habs will go a long way in the series is when I play the hockey game myself, on my Sega Dreamcast…. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So, perhaps we shall play in network, Toronto against Montreal, over the Internet… ? !!

Ray
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
That would be a "BLOW OUT" Ray seeing as;

1. I don’t have a Sega (Closest is my G/F’s Kids PS2) ( ohh PS2 as in Play Station 2 Not Photoshop LOL)

2. Never got bitten by the Eletronic Game Bug

3. At home I have slowest of the slow dial up

3. Even in cyber land not too sure if the Habs can beat the Leafs…

Getting ready to duck from Grant and Rays’ throwing of old Pentex equipment… LOL

David
DOMI RULES!!!!!!
BG
Byron Gale
Jun 17, 2004
From the context, I gather that by "Habs" you are referring to the Montreal Canadiens hockey team.

I note that there is a letter "H" inside the large "C" of their team logo — does this relate to "Habs"?

And what the heck does "Habs" mean, anyway??? (Other than being an anagram for "bash")
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
the "H" as I understand it to mean (and Please Grant and or Ray correct me if I am wrong) stands for Habitaunt (forgive spelling) which loosly translated means "comonner" a term used to describe the French-Canadian Luberjack which made up the first of Que’s Hockey teams….

David

But the LEAFS still RULE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DG
David G House
Jun 17, 2004
Hey Just thought of this… a POD for Grant.. ya got any of your old CCM Tack Tube Skates.. ๐Ÿ˜‰
ML
Mark_Levesque
Jun 18, 2004
And what the heck does "Habs" mean, anyway???

It’s a diminutive for Les Habitants, referring to the early french settlers/farmers.
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 18, 2004
wrote in message
: And what the heck does "Habs" mean, anyway??? :
: It’s a diminutive for Les Habitants, referring to the early french settlers/farmers.

Bingo

Right on the target.

Grant
JB
John_Burnett_(JNB)
Jun 18, 2004
‘Habs’ most Canadian hockey fans would know. But when did people begin calling the Maple Leafs ‘BUDS’?

– signed ‘not too much of a hockey fan but, really, I AM a Canadian, eh?’
DG
David G House
Jun 18, 2004
Not too sure when or why the Leasf get called the buds… but they do… I think it stared with the Farm Team when it was in Newmarket…
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 18, 2004
I though they were called the buds because they have never been able to reach the potential of fully developed leafs.

Grant
DG
David G House
Jun 18, 2004
Thinking of some kind of a witty retort..

Contemplating some type of less then superior potential reference of Grand’s Shinny Team of Preference..

But seeing as I am unable to do so at this time I’ll just settle for sticking my tongue out at ya!!!!!!!!!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜›
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 18, 2004
David

I wonder how many people will know the term shinny?

Grant
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jun 18, 2004
see the latest is a cross between a monkey and a dragon…looks that way to me. In Chinese terms this is actually a good thing since they are indeed compatible on many levels. I’m a dragon…any monkeys around here ?

Your latest is very Cool Grant…i see the night photography is doing well for you….i know it’s not the camera ๐Ÿ˜‰
DG
David G House
Jun 18, 2004
Grant..

Those that would know the term "Shinny" would also know,

1. Frost Bitten Toes
2. Sears catologes for shin pads
3. Boots for goal posts
4. Chasing the dog that stole the puck
5. Waiting until you see a tractor on the ice before you know its safe

and last but not least…..

6. The taste of a good Sherbrooke…….. ๐Ÿ™‚
GD
Grant_Dixon
Jun 18, 2004
David

They would also know not to eat the yellow snow and to keep there tongues off the metal poles.

Grant
DG
David G House
Jun 18, 2004
Funny you should mention the metal pole thing.. I actually did that when I was 6.. but it was to the fender of one of the tractors…. my sister made me do it BTW…. she’s still mean like that.. my Father had to come out with warm water and get me unstuck..

LOL.. thansk for the embaressing memory….

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections