DL
Posted By
David_Lingard
Feb 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m having a problem understanding one aspect of the histogram. If you create a new file then apply a black to white linear gradient across it I would have thought the histogram would be a straight line, but it isn’t.

The book refers to "intensity" of the colours where I thought it was just a straight pixel count of the tones, obviously it isn’t. Could someone explain in simple words please.

Thanks,

David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Bernie
Feb 6, 2007
This is so the gradient looks better

Edit the gradient and set the smoothness to 0% in order to have the histogram you’re looking for. (You’ll also get a gradient that doesn’t look as nice IMO)
DL
David_Lingard
Feb 6, 2007
Ed, Thanks for the links, I’m happy with most of the content they even confirmed that it’s a straight pixel count for each brightness level.

Nomad, this is intriguing, but I can’t see how to set the smoothness to anything let alone 0%. BTW I’m using CS2 but I doubt if that makes much difference.
B
Bernie
Feb 6, 2007
Click on the gradient in the option box, the option to set smoothness is in the gradient editor

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1Q6mK92nxV4TjSgXyb GvDPFyIsS40>
DL
David_Lingard
Feb 6, 2007
Brilliant – thanks for that! Yes, the histogram is what I expected but the gradient is very different. Clear as crystal.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections