M
Posted By
mraub
Dec 6, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a white 24" iMac with 3 GB of RAM and the most current update to Leopard. When I try to use the crop tool one of three things happen–

1. No crop lines appear so I don’t know what I’m cropping;

2. The image window goes black requiring a forced shutdown of CS4;

3. All menus disappear (CS4 and all other programs too) requiring me to unplug the computer.

The ruler tool caused the same problems.

Any idea of what’s causing this problem.

Thanks,

MIKE

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 6, 2008
Sounds as if the problem is system-wide and could be hardware-related (HDs, RAM or video card).

Have you installed new RAM etc. recently?

Run DiskWarrior and Cocktail and check all connections (internal and external).
M
mraub
Dec 7, 2008
I have had the same RAM chips in the computer for about a year and haven’t changed any hardware hooked to the computer for probably 6 months. CS4 is the only program that acts up. I’ll run some hardware checking programs, but really think it’s some bug in CS4.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 7, 2008
mraub,

Have you done any system maintenance? (If so, details, please.) Have you tried resetting Photoshop preferences? Was there any specific change to your computer immediately before you started having the problem?

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 7, 2008
mraub,

Have you done any system maintenance? Was there any specific change to your computer immediately before you started having the problem? Does all RAM you have installed show up under your System Profiler (Apple logo –> About This Mac –> More Info… ?

Neil
R
Ram
Dec 7, 2008

3. All menus disappear (CS4 and all other programs too) requiring me to
unplug the computer.

That sounds like a hardware issue.
NT
Nini Tj
Dec 7, 2008
You could always start with deleting the prefs for Photoshop to see if it has any impact. Or did you already do that?
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 7, 2008
All menus disappear (CS4 and all other programs too) requiring me to unplug the computer.

Or it could be a damaged operating system. Whatever the cause, since it crosses multiple applications it sounds fairly serious.

If other maintenance does not work (including checking to be sure all RAM and other components are properly seated and connected, I’d try logging in as a new user. If that doesn’t work, then an archive and install. If that doesn’t work, I’d be tempted to back up all data, reformat the hard drive with verification, and reinstall everything fresh, from the original media. If that does not solve the problem, it’s time to take the computer to the shop.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 7, 2008
All menus disappear (CS4 and all other programs too) requiring me to unplug the computer.

Or it could be a damaged operating system. Whatever the cause, since it crosses multiple applications it sounds fairly serious.

If other maintenance does not work (including checking to be sure all RAM and other components are properly seated and connected, I’d try logging in as a new user. If that doesn’t work, then an archive and install. If that doesn’t work, I’d be tempted to back up all data, reformat the hard drive with verification, and reinstall everything fresh, from the original media. If that does not solve the problem, it’s time to take the computer to the shop.

If by "all other programs" we’re talking about Adobe Suite software, then I might be concerned about the authenticity of the original software. (This last comment is NOT meant to be accusatory — just another possibility in trying to troubleshoot the problem.)

Neil
M
mraub
Dec 7, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. All RAM appears to be detected by the OS. The problem does not cross applications; every other program other than CS4 works fine. I’ve got a bunch of programs running right now making some prints, but as soon as I’m done I’ll do some routine maintenance stuff like repair permissions on the HD, etc. I think I’ll try the Apple forums to see if anyone else has had problems running CS4 on a 24" white iMac.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 8, 2008
mraub,

All menus disappear (CS4 and all other programs too)

The problem does not cross applications; every other program other than CS4 works fine.

This is a bit confusing, so let me ask the question: by "CS4" you are saying only applications within the Suite have the problem? I ask because most folks here, when referring to "CS4" are referring just to "Photoshop CS4".

If the former is the case, then your CS4 Suite installation is hosed. Uninstall with the Uninstaller utility and then reinstall by the book from the original discs or download. Do not move or rename anything.

Neil
M
mraub
Dec 9, 2008
Photoshop is the only Adobe application I have installed. Sorry for the confusion. Isn’t it really Photoshop 11?
R
Ram
Dec 9, 2008
mraub,

Isn’t it really Photoshop 11?

You are absolutely correct, strictly speaking. But, in practice, people mix up the terminology all the time.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 9, 2008
mraub,

Doubly confusing because you say, "All menus disappear (CS4 and all other programs too)"

Neil
B
Buko
Dec 9, 2008
first thing you need to do is see if this crashing happens in a new user.
M
mraub
Dec 9, 2008
OK, after some digging on the ‘net I thinK I have solved my problem. Under the Performance window in Photoshop Preferences I unchecked the box labeled "Enable OpenGL Drawing," shut down Photoshop and restarted the computer. Both the crop and ruler tools now work fine. The Nvidia 7600GT video card in my iMac doesn’t always play well with OpenGL. Whether we’ll get a new video driver from Nvidia or Apple remains to be seen.

A number of people have had similar problems, so disabling OpenGL might be a good place to start solving any video related problem.

Thanks everyone!

MIKE

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections